Topics

IRLP COS is not operating

Rtech.ralph@...

I have an issue. If the node is powered down for extended time, I can turn it and the radio on & all works normal.
After running for some time (sometimes for a couple of hours sometime a couple of days) the node will stop working.
When it fails, the COS light on the board fails to turn on when a signal is received.
I can use the console and log into a noce or the Echo Test.
The radio will transmit the audi it receives from the internet perfectly
The board will acknowledge the DTMF tones it sees by flashing the DTMF light on the board.
It will not illuminate the COS light & will not pass the commands on to the internet
It will not pass the voice transmitted into the radio on to the internet.

I have tried different radios. (Icom & Yeasu) that require different set up on the COS jumper.
When i watch the pin for the COS while the radio is actively receiving, the icom shows 4.2 volts @ the COS input pin (DB() as well as at the centre pin of the jumper (with the jumper removed) Same with the Yeasu drops to 0.1 Volt at the COS pin when in receive.
Pin test the wire harness from DB9 to the Header pin OK.
Check by substitution the db9-header pin cable. I have access to an old V3 board and subberd in the harness from it (obviously no audio but it keys the transmitter when announcing IP and Node Activation.

Myassumption, failed component level repair required on the IRLP board.

My limited knowledge of how the system works would suggest that this is not a firmware/ software issue.

Any other suggestion gratefully accepted or information on where to send the board for repair if that is available.

Or  Is there an expedite method available for ordering a replacement board?

Ralph Garnett
VA6RHG
Node 1188

Milt Duquette

Ralph,  did u change service providers and did u do the port forwarding through the new isp?

On Dec 1, 2019, at 6:16 PM, rtech.ralph@... wrote:

[...]

Port forwarding (or lack of) isn't going to affect the hardware.

I think you may need to be a little clearer on what is going on with the COR. With just the same radio, what does it measure when it is working and what does it measure when it it isn't working?

--

bruce clements

I agree it's not port forwarding...

I would take the cos line and remove it from the db9. Solder a wire to the cos pin on the db9 and connect it to the cos signal from the radio.  I would use a alligator clip..
When the cos fails , disconnect the wire from the cos from the radio. Take the db9 connection and put on ground. If the led fails to light it's hardware.
If it's a older version 2 board I had a transistor issue and I replaced it.

If it's a version 3 contact irlp guys and buy a new one.

Bruce Ve3bv

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® E

Port forwarding (or lack of) isn't going to affect the hardware.

I think you may need to be a little clearer on what is going on with the COR. With just the same radio, what does it measure when it is working and what does it measure when it it isn't working?

> Ralph, did u change service providers and did u do the port forwarding through the new isp?
> > On Dec 1, 2019, at 6:16 PM, rtech.ralph@... wrote:
> >
> > ?I have an issue. If the node is powered down for extended time, I can turn it and the radio on & all works normal.
> > After running for some time (sometimes for a couple of hours sometime a couple of days) the node will stop working.
> > When it fails, the COS light on the board fails to turn on when a signal is received.
> > I can use the console and log into a noce or the Echo Test.
> > The radio will transmit the audi it receives from the internet perfectly
> > The board will acknowledge the DTMF tones it sees by flashing the DTMF light on the board.
> > It will not illuminate the COS light & will not pass the commands on to the internet
> > It will not pass the voice transmitted into the radio on to the internet.
> >
> > I have tried different radios. (Icom & Yeasu) that require different set up on the COS jumper.
> > When i watch the pin for the COS while the radio is actively receiving, the icom shows 4.2 volts @ the COS input pin (DB() as well as at the centre pin of the jumper (with the jumper removed) Same with the Yeasu drops to 0.1 Volt at the COS pin when in receive.
> > Pin test the wire harness from DB9 to the Header pin OK.
> > Check by substitution the db9-header pin cable. I have access to an old V3 board and subberd in the harness from it (obviously no audio but it keys the transmitter when announcing IP and Node Activation.
> >
> > Myassumption, failed component level repair required on the IRLP board.
> >
> > My limited knowledge of how the system works would suggest that this is not a firmware/ software issue.
> >
> > Any other suggestion gratefully accepted or information on where to send the board for repair if that is available.
> >
> > Or Is there an expedite method available for ordering a replacement board?
> >
> > Ralph Garnett
> > VA6RHG
> > Node 1188

Very rare that it would be intermittent like this. Next time it acts up, I would check all your GROUND between the radio and the board. Often if there is a bad ground, the voltage potential can be too low to trigger the COS.

Also, try changing the position of the LGC LVL jumper.

The whole COS system is simple logic, nothing more.

On 01/12/2019 5:15 p.m., Rtech.ralph@... wrote:
[...]

+Pin voltage from the radio has no change between working and not working. roughly 4 - 4.1 volts when recieving a signal.

Rtech.ralph@...

At this point, much more not working then working.
Unit has been in service same radio, same location & power supply etc for almost 3 years
I have added a ground from the body of the node (connected to the main bus) to the shack ground & the Negative B+ with no change

Rtech.ralph@...

Version 3. Purchased 2016. & I have tried running a jumper to ground from the COS pin with the jumper in the low position. No change. Can not light the COS light

bruce clements

Looks like hardware. Like Dave said it's just a logic circuit.

There is a drawing on line of a home brewed version 2 board, BUT it will only give you an idea of the operation.. since version 3 uses SMT construction it might be better to buy a new one.

Bruce Ve3bv

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® E