Topics

Irlp Custom connect wav files

larry_n7fm

I recently sold one of my IRLP nodes.
Sadly when I was new to IRLP years ago. I didn't realize that creating a custom connect wav file would become a problem.

I was foolish enough to created a custom connect wav file which included my callsign not realizing once it was activated there was no option to stop or revert back to normal.
Bet most everyone reading this is already thinking "Dummy" and can visualize my problem.
Yup ... when the new owner I sold the node to.connects ... it announces/identifies on the other end with my callsign.

I do realize creating a new custom file will replace my problem file. However the new owner would like the node to revert to original connect messages.
Which it can't as long as a stnxxxx wave file exists.

Has anyone come up with a way to reverse or stop the custom stn(node_number) from spreading to other newly connected nodes?
Is it possible for IRLP support to delete custom stnxxxx wav files if requested?
Once deleted from the IRLP server it would stop any further propagation of that particular custom connect file.

Suggestions or solution? New install with a New number isn't something he wants or is able to do.

What would really be nice ... is a script mod with an option flag "IF EXIST delete" when checking for a new stnxxxx files for those of us who want to revert back.

Larry - N7FM

k9dc

It is not possible to delete custom greetings. Remember, they are downloaded to all the nodes that connect to you and the network has no way to delete files that are on anyone’s individual node. You can update them, but once deployed they are permanently present.

What you can do is replace them with something that SOUNDS generic, for example...

wavplay nodenum 4 7 3 0 linkon

-k9dc

On Oct 10, 2019, at 01:28, larry_n7fm <larry@...> wrote:

[...]

dale.tongue

If you create/edit a file for stnXXXXon and stnxxxxoff and do the upload per the manual, it will take care of it for you if I’m not mistaken.  It’ll wipe your other files and add the new files, which will get populated through the network..

Dale

http://wiki.irlp.net/doku.php?id=recording_audio_files

[...]

Thanks for the reply & suggestion Dave,

I realized that automatically IRLP is not programmed to stop the propagation however nothing prevents removing a file from any database manually.

A warning in the manual that custom connect scripts is irreversible.
Might enlighten folks from playing/testing something they can't stop.

Larry - N7FM

On 10/9/19 11:14 PM, k9dc wrote:
[...]

Thanks Dale,

You are correct. Just not what the new owner wants but may have to live with. Either that or do a rebuild with a new node number.

Make me curious how they dealt with the reclaimed node numbers that had custom connect files that propagated previously. Maybe some fellow in Canada was issued a reclaimed node number that has a stnxxxx file that propagated saying he lives in Miami and he doesn't know it.

Larry - N7FM

On 10/9/19 11:31 PM, dale.tongue wrote:
[...]

John VK4JJW

On 10/10/2019 4:31 pm, dale.tongue wrote:
If you create/edit a file for stnXXXXon and stnxxxxoff and do the upload per the manual, it will take care of it for you if I’m not mistaken.  It’ll wipe your other files and add the new files, which will get populated through the network..

Dale
That's the way!

And I'm sure there are any number of us out here that would be happy to record generics for this if you don't feel you can do it yourself.

Even one of the text-to-speech web sites would work OK.

Ask, and you will receive :-)

JW

--

EchoIRLP
IRLP Node 6527

DMR 5054314

http://www.vk4jjw.info

dale.tongue

Larry,
Well, I ran into that problem myself and just got it fixed. My node WAV file was telling people I was in England instead of Korea. And since I'm moving it to the states soon, I'll have to do it again. Good luck.
[...]

That is correct. Most node numbers in .US have been used before, so there is a very good chance you may end up with someone else's old files even if you get a new number assignment. That is why the After-Install instructions call for everyone to make up a new set of files for their own node.

-k9dc

On Oct 10, 2019, at 04:19, larry_n7fm <larry@...> wrote:

Thanks Dale,

You are correct. Just not what the new owner wants but may have to live with. Either that or do a rebuild with a new node number.

Make me curious how they dealt with the reclaimed node numbers that had custom connect files that propagated previously. Maybe some fellow in Canada was issued a reclaimed node number that has a stnxxxx file that propagated saying he lives in Miami and he doesn't know it.

Larry - N7FM

David Cameron - IRLP

Larry,

The key has to be removed for the audio files to be removed. So in the case of a "recycled node number", as long as the key is removed for at least 24 hours, so will the audio files. Have a look at the repeater user crontab and the script clean_audio_files on your node.

The issue in your case is you sold the node with a node number, so the key was never removed, so the script has no way of knowing to remove your audio files.

If it makes it easier, there is a lesser-known script to record the audio files right on the node itself:
/home/irlp/scripts/record_my_ids

This uses the radio to record the audio files, and performs all the conversions and such without having to deal with the files themselves.

David Cameron
VE7LTD

On 2019-10-09 22:28, larry_n7fm wrote:
[...]
Links:
------
[1] https://irlp.groups.io/g/IRLP/message/76137
[2] https://groups.io/mt/34471826/500965
[3] https://irlp.groups.io/g/IRLP/post
[4] https://irlp.groups.io/g/IRLP/editsub/500965
[5] https://irlp.groups.io/g/IRLP/leave/defanged

larry_n7fm

Thanks for that explanation Dave.
It isn't a crisis issue and the overwrite will just have to do.

However some way to return to original would be a nice function when we screw up and try something and find we don't like it.

Were it not for the new owner living 800 miles away I would have helped him reload from scratch. As it is, it needed to be already operational when he received it.

Regards
Larry - N7FM

On 2019-10-09 22:28, larry_n7fm wrote:
[...]

David McAnally

Someone with access to the node could run this old script to create connect files with the default node I'd. This script is in the irlp group files area. <https://irlp.groups.io/g/IRLP/files/Scripts%20for%20IRLP%20Nodes//defaultOnOff.txt>

David M.
WD5M

larry_n7fm

Thank you very much Dave M. I will pass the script along.

Dave G. mentioned doing likewise but that script makes it easy for anyone to do it. Very Handy...Thanks.

Larry - N7FM