Topics

IRLP Discussion Group - Digest #491

w7aor

I used to carry Space Audio on a Western Reflector channel (9250-9259). Never a problem as the Reflector was and still is on redundant main fiber network in and out of Las Vegas. We carried sometimes over 100 connections, as I recall.   The last STS mission carried on the Western Reflector was when the STS burned up (defects in wing heat shields) as I remember. We waited and waited and finally got fragments of MC, but was cut off as they took charge,  didn’t want internal discussions to go public. You can imagine the anguish of having the STS and crew burned up. The audio was also carried via NASA web site.

If you find out how get audio that is approved to be carried, the Western Reflector, I would be happy to carry it. On the WR we have Echo link integrated with IRLP so you may choose of listening to IRLP or Echo link Conference using any of the appropriate means including the Smart Phone EL App.

Kent Johnson W7AOR

Chair, NARRI.org and N7ARR/N7NDS repeaters

702-452-4412  

From: IRLP@irlp.groups.io <IRLP@irlp.groups.io> On Behalf Of IRLP@irlp.groups.io
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2020 3:34 PM
To: w7aor@...
Subject: [IRLP] IRLP Discussion Group - Digest #491

This is a digest for IRLP Discussion Group. View all your groups.io groups, and edit your subscriptions, here.

Do not reply to this email. To reply to a message, click the Reply link under the message.

Topics in this digest:

NASA Audio Broadcast - Slightly OT (10)

DTMF Regen level (2)

1a. 

NASA Audio Broadcast - Slightly OT
Chris Schwab
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 08:36:38 PDT

Good morning!

During the space shuttle era there was at least one IRLP reflector
that carried the NASA TV audio during space shuttle missions. While I
agree that times have changed and there are other means of following
the missions, it was nice to be able to follow along during the
mission while out driving around by listening in on the audio via
IRLP.

With Spacex (and Boeing) soon to be launching manned missions, is
anyone carrying this audio still, or are there plans to?

Thanks,
Chris N4BSA
IRLP 4647

View/Reply Online | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute Topic | Top ^ | New Topic

1b. 

Re: NASA Audio Broadcast - Slightly OT
Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA)
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 09:27:52 PDT

I think the key here is the space shuttle was essentially US government communications. Spacex & Boeing would be commercial.

Mick - W7CAT
Node 3464

View/Reply Online | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute Topic | Top ^ | New Topic

1c. 

Chris Schwab
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 10:04:43 PDT

Drifting WAY OT now..

I was looking at 97.113.. 

(c) No station shall retransmit programs or signals emanating from any type of radio station other than an amateur station, except propagation and weather forecast information intended for use by the general public and originated from United States Government stations, and communications, including incidental music, originating on United States Government frequencies between a manned spacecraft and its associated Earth stations. Prior approval for manned spacecraft communications retransmissions must be obtained from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Such retransmissions must be for the exclusive use of amateur radio operators. Propagation, weather forecasts, and manned spacecraft communications retransmissions may not be conducted on a regular basis, but only occasionally, as an incident of normal amateur radio communications.

You're right, it doesn't specify commercial vs government, but at the time I'm sure 97.113 never considered the possibility of manned commercial operations. 

Looping this back to IRLP, if no one else is currently doing this, what would it take to feed the audio? I have the bandwidth and could probably come up with the hardware, I'd just have no idea where to start to get the audio fed into a reflector channel. Would this best be handled on an experimental reflector?

Chris

1d. 

Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA)
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 10:19:50 PDT

Maybe in the fact that you (or any user) is not being compensated it may be okay. Still not sure I would go there.

As for picking up the feed. That may not be nearly as available as you may think or hope for. Since it is business it may be pretty hidden and for that matter, encrypted. Since they are fairly new at this, I'm sure if something goes wrong they aren't going to want everyone to hear what is going on. I will guess they are going to protect themselves.

IF (big if) it is available, I would just look for space (no pun intended) on a normal reflector so if someone would like to connect to it, it would be easy to do.

Mick - W7CAT
Node 3464

1e. 

Rick Bates, NK7I
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 10:40:16 PDT

As NASA has permitted hams to rebroadcast space communications (NOT their TV audio) for the last few decades, I'd submit that (in the US) rebroadcast of what launch or earth-space audio NASA puts out on this is also covered, regardless of the original source, which may be commercial.

If NASA covers it, you can rebroadcast NASA and punt it to a reflector so other in in IRLP-dom can link and listen. 

It is my strong suggestion that the settings allow listen only on that reflector, except for the station punting audio so that other 'random' audio isn't allowed.  That would require most likely, contact with the reflector owner/mods.

Rick NK7I

1f. 

Phil Zocco
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 11:07:06 PDT

The NASA feed way back when was provided by a ham who worked at JPL in Pasadena, CA. His feed went into one of the reflectors and we all listened in.

If things are now private, maybe someone who is a ham or knows a ham at SpaceX or Boeing could help.

The NASA feeds had great audio. The highlight for me was when we were listening to one of the Space Shuttle crews doing major replacement work on the Hubbell Telescope.

Anyway, my $0.02

Phil N1BOW

Nodes 5960 and 4656

AMT MP 113.6

Niantic, CT USA Earth

1g. 

Chris Schwab
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 11:14:01 PDT

I was thinking you could just grab the audio from Youtube though I'm not sure how to get that audio to the reflector if there wasn't a better feed available. Of course I'd ask permission of the reflector owner, though I'm missing the piece of how to make the pieces in the middle work.

Chris

1h. 

Bob Dengler
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 12:57:20 PDT

At 5/4/2020 11:07 AM, you wrote:

The NASA feed way back when was provided by a ham who worked at JPL in Pasadena, CA. His feed went into one of the reflectors and we all listened in.
Â
If things are now private, maybe someone who is a ham or knows a ham at SpaceX or Boeing could help.

The launch will be carried on the NASA web page:

<
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-to-provide-coverage-of-spacex-commercial-crew-test-flight-with-astronauts>

We have plans to retransmit this onto the JPLARC's 147.150 repeater in La Canada. I may also carry it on my local open system, which covers some of the greater LA area: 445.080 (-) PL-103.5.

Bob NO6B

1i. 

David Cameron - IRLP
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 14:09:27 PDT

Yes this is what needs to happen:
1) You need a high quality stream of the audio
2) You need a node that is designated to stream the audio into the system.
3) Someone needs to make a VOX controller or some type that will do two things:
- Detect when there is audio and close a contact, connected to the COS of the node, and start/stop the stream of audio
- Not allow a continuous audio stream / COS trigger for more than 3 minutes.

Then you work with the reflector owner to set up a channel as listen only, then define the node as the "talking station". This is easy to do, and will be made easier once new reflector control software is made later this month.

Dave Cameron
VE7LTD

1j. 

pete damron
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 14:28:59 PDT

If I unsubscribe to this feed below.....will I still get other Irlp groups of interest.

2a. 

DTMF Regen level
Rich Ball
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 15:26:36 PDT

Hi,

Is there a way to adjust the DTMF regen level independently of the alsamixer control?

Thanks,

Rich, WA2ZPX
Node 4130

2b. 

Re: DTMF Regen level
David Cameron - IRLP
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 15:33:41 PDT

In the dtmfregen script is the following:

if [ -z "$DIAL_OPTIONS" ] ; then
${DIAL} --volume 25 ${1}p
else
${DIAL} ${DIAL_OPTIONS} ${1}p
fi

That means by default the "volume" is set at 25. If you look at the dial program, there are many options.

$ ./dial --?
usage: dial [options] number ...
Valid options with their default values are:
Duration options:
--tone-time 100
--silent-time 50
--sleep-time 500
Audio output options:
--output-dev /dev/dsp
--use-audio 1
--bufsize 4096
--speed 8000
--bits 8
Audio generation options:
--table-size 256
--volume 100
--left 0
--right 0

If you want to edit the options, such as lowering the volume to 10, use the environment file:

export DIAL_OPTIONS="--volume 10"

If you want to change the tone-time or silent-time, you can do that too:

export DIAL_OPTIONS="--volume 10 --tone-time 50 --silent-time 20"

Dave Cameron
VE7LTD

You are receiving this email because you are subscribed to IRLP@irlp.groups.io via w7aor@.... You can unsubscribe here.