Topics

IRLP EMBEDDED NODE

Fred

I have a newer generation IRLP embedded node that originally came with Debian 9 loaded on it.    I got it used,  it was having issues with IRLPvCON not working and a few other things.   This afternoon I burned the ISO from the IRLP Mirror and upgraded the node to Debian 10.   Got everything working, and then shut it down properly.   I disconnected the monitor and keyboard from the node and booted it back up and PTT locked up and I couldn’t access it using SSH.    Long story short,  if I don’t have a monitor hooked up to the node, it will not boot up totally.  Just powers on and goes into PTT lockup.    I would prefer not to have to have a monitor hooked up to it all time just for the node to operate.  Any fixes for this?

Fred

W5MGM

Node 3088.

Ramon Gandia

On 7/19/20 1:49 PM, Fred via groups.io wrote:
I have a newer generation IRLP embedded node that originally came with
Debian 9 loaded on it.    I got it used,  it was having issues with
IRLPvCON not working and a few other things.   This afternoon I burned
the ISO from the IRLP Mirror and upgraded the node to Debian 10.   Got
everything working, and then shut it down properly.   I disconnected the
monitor and keyboard from the node and booted it back up and PTT locked
up and I couldn’t access it using SSH.    Long story short,  if I don’t
have a monitor hooked up to the node, it will not boot up totally.  Just
powers on and goes into PTT lockup.    I would prefer not to have to
have a monitor hooked up to it all time just for the node to operate.
Any fixes for this?
If you can ssh into it, there is hope. Otherwise, you will have to
hook up the keyboard and monitor. Perhaps you will see the problem then.

Perhaps it will not boot up either. You may need to proved boot
parameters to get it to proceed.

If you gain access to it; first thing is to rename /etc/rc.local
to rc.local.bak and try rebooting. This will get the computer up
without the IRLP stuff activated.

The PTT being "locked on" is not really meaningfull. It depends on
the parameters for PTT activaton and what the IRLP stuff does before
it completely settles down.

For now, I would just pull the plug from the node to the radi. That way
you won't risk frying something.

As a rule, PTT line is high when on idle, and low when activated. Just
like 99.99% of PTT lines out there; you short to ground in order to
transmit.

Keeping it high is usually done with a pullup resistor. It can be done
with software, and this may be that the IRLP "floats" the line before
the scripts have a chance to take over.

Like I said, try ssh to it. No luck, keyboard and monitor and rename
the rc.local file and try reboot again. All with the cable
disconnected, of course.

--
Ramon Gandia, AL7X 3288 3289 7254
Nome, Alaska USA Trump 2020

Ramon Gandia

On 7/19/20 1:49 PM, Fred via groups.io wrote:
I have a newer generation IRLP embedded node that originally came with
Debian 9 loaded on it.    I got it used,  it was having issues with
IRLPvCON not working and a few other things.   This afternoon I burned
the ISO from the IRLP Mirror and upgraded the node to Debian 10.   Got
everything working, and then shut it down properly.   I disconnected the
monitor and keyboard from the node and booted it back up and PTT locked
up and I couldn’t access it using SSH.    Long story short,  if I don’t
have a monitor hooked up to the node, it will not boot up totally.  Just
powers on and goes into PTT lockup.    I would prefer not to have to
have a monitor hooked up to it all time just for the node to operate.
Any fixes for this?
Fred, I meant to ask you.

Are you saying that with a keyboard and Monitor it boots up all the way?

That is a different issue. I believe it was addressed by Dave Cameron
here the other day.

--
Ramon Gandia, AL7X 3288 3289 7254
Nome, Alaska USA Trump 2020

Fred

Ramon,   yes with monitor and keyboard it boots up all the way.

On 7/19/20 1:49 PM, Fred via groups.io wrote:

> I have a newer generation IRLP embedded node that originally came with

> Debian 9 loaded on it.    I got it used,  it was having issues with

> IRLPvCON not working and a few other things.   This afternoon I burned

> the ISO from the IRLP Mirror and upgraded the node to Debian 10.   Got

> everything working, and then shut it down properly.   I disconnected the

> monitor and keyboard from the node and booted it back up and PTT locked

> up and I couldn’t access it using SSH.    Long story short,  if I don’t

> have a monitor hooked up to the node, it will not boot up totally.  Just

> powers on and goes into PTT lockup.    I would prefer not to have to

> have a monitor hooked up to it all time just for the node to operate.

> Any fixes for this?

Fred, I meant to ask you.

Are you saying that with a keyboard and Monitor it boots up all the way?

That is a different issue.  I believe it was addressed by Dave Cameron

here the other day.

--

Ramon Gandia, AL7X 3288 3289 7254

Nome, Alaska USA  Trump 2020

David Cameron - IRLP

Did it boot before without the monitor and keyboard? The Intel chipsets need a kernel argument to work properly sometimes. I don't recall what it is, but it disables the LVDS system and forces the computer to boot without it.

There are also options in the bios for uefi that can affect the video during the boot process.

Google can be your friend here.

Dave

On 7/19/20 1:49 PM, Fred via groups.io wrote:
> I have a newer generation IRLP embedded node that originally came with
> Debian 9 loaded on it.    I got it used,  it was having issues with
> IRLPvCON not working and a few other things.   This afternoon I burned
> the ISO from the IRLP Mirror and upgraded the node to Debian 10.   Got
> everything working, and then shut it down properly.   I disconnected the
> monitor and keyboard from the node and booted it back up and PTT locked
> up and I couldn’t access it using SSH.    Long story short,  if I don’t
> have a monitor hooked up to the node, it will not boot up totally.  Just
> powers on and goes into PTT lockup.    I would prefer not to have to
> have a monitor hooked up to it all time just for the node to operate.
> Any fixes for this?

If you can ssh into it, there is hope.  Otherwise, you will have to
hook up the keyboard and monitor.  Perhaps you will see the problem then.

Perhaps it will not boot up either.  You may need to proved boot
parameters to get it to proceed.

If you gain access to it; first thing is to rename /etc/rc.local
to rc.local.bak  and try rebooting.  This will get the computer up
without the IRLP stuff activated.

The PTT being "locked on" is not really meaningfull.  It depends on
the parameters for PTT activaton and what the IRLP stuff does before
it completely settles down.

For now, I would just pull the plug from the node to the radi.  That way
you won't risk frying something.

As a rule, PTT line is high when on idle, and low when activated.  Just
like 99.99% of PTT lines out there; you short to ground in order to
transmit.

Keeping it high is usually done with a pullup resistor.  It can be done
with software, and this may be that the IRLP "floats" the line before
the scripts have a chance to take over.

Like I said, try ssh to it.  No luck, keyboard and monitor and rename
the rc.local file and try reboot again.  All with the cable
disconnected, of course.

--
Ramon Gandia, AL7X 3288 3289 7254
Nome, Alaska USA   Trump 2020

Rick NK7I

From an email long long ago and not so far away:
-:-:-:-:-:-

Felix,

I had this trouble with my Intel 2800 a year ago. Here are the notes I took at the time.
It was very frustrating and I don't remember exactly where I found the information.

-Andy, KB7B
IRLP: 7583
Echolink: 45272

----------- Intel DN-2800 MT VGA issue ---------------
1. After the installation, remove the USB drives and boot into your
    new system. You will be presented with the GRUB menu.
    In any of the options, the boot process will start but you will
    soon see A BLANK SCREEN. This is because the vmlinuz
    kernel assumes if your motherboard can drive a flat panel
    display (like a laptop) you must be using it. If you are using the
    VGA or HDMI display port on the DN2800MT, you will get a
    blank screen until you do the following:

    From the Grub menu, select the kernel you wish to use with
    the cursor keys and press "e" to edit the command line before
    booting. On the vmlinuz line, add or append the following
    argument to the command line:

    video=LVDS-1:d

2. After adding the above argument to the kernel, boot the system.
    You should then be able to continue with a VGA or HDMI display.
    Note: This additional kernel argument is also required when using
    "Live" Linux-based utilities such as GParted Live.

3. After logging in as root, edit the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file with
    an editor like nano and add the "video=LVDS-1:d" argument to
    all vmlinuz kernels you may want to use.
    (You might "cp -p grub.cfg grub.cfg.orig" as a precaution.)

    When you reboot the machine, any kernel with this argument should
    boot without the "blank screen". Might as well test them all now.

    Note: If you will be running without a keyboard and monitor
    connected to the computer (headless), Grub seems to default to
    the first boot entry in the grub screen. Either delete the boot
    options you don't want, or put the one you want to use first.

------------------------ END --------------------------------

Best of luck - AM

-:-:-:-:

73,
Rick NK7I

Email spiel Czech corruptions happen

On Jul 19, 2020, at 10:35 PM, David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...> wrote:

Did it boot before without the monitor and keyboard? The Intel chipsets need a kernel argument to work properly sometimes. I don't recall what it is, but it disables the LVDS system and forces the computer to boot without it.

There are also options in the bios for uefi that can affect the video during the boot process.

Google can be your friend here.

Dave

On 7/19/20 1:49 PM, Fred via groups.io wrote:
> I have a newer generation IRLP embedded node that originally came with
> Debian 9 loaded on it.    I got it used,  it was having issues with
> IRLPvCON not working and a few other things.   This afternoon I burned
> the ISO from the IRLP Mirror and upgraded the node to Debian 10.   Got
> everything working, and then shut it down properly.   I disconnected the
> monitor and keyboard from the node and booted it back up and PTT locked
> up and I couldn’t access it using SSH.    Long story short,  if I don’t
> have a monitor hooked up to the node, it will not boot up totally.  Just
> powers on and goes into PTT lockup.    I would prefer not to have to
> have a monitor hooked up to it all time just for the node to operate.
> Any fixes for this?

If you can ssh into it, there is hope.  Otherwise, you will have to
hook up the keyboard and monitor.  Perhaps you will see the problem then.

Perhaps it will not boot up either.  You may need to proved boot
parameters to get it to proceed.

If you gain access to it; first thing is to rename /etc/rc.local
to rc.local.bak  and try rebooting.  This will get the computer up
without the IRLP stuff activated.

The PTT being "locked on" is not really meaningfull.  It depends on
the parameters for PTT activaton and what the IRLP stuff does before
it completely settles down.

For now, I would just pull the plug from the node to the radi.  That way
you won't risk frying something.

As a rule, PTT line is high when on idle, and low when activated.  Just
like 99.99% of PTT lines out there; you short to ground in order to
transmit.

Keeping it high is usually done with a pullup resistor.  It can be done
with software, and this may be that the IRLP "floats" the line before
the scripts have a chance to take over.

Like I said, try ssh to it.  No luck, keyboard and monitor and rename
the rc.local file and try reboot again.  All with the cable
disconnected, of course.

--
Ramon Gandia, AL7X 3288 3289 7254
Nome, Alaska USA   Trump 2020

Fred

Dave C,   yes the node booted before without the monitor and keyboard.    I hooked a monitor and keyboard up to it today to reinstall IRLP.   It’s an embedded node you sold in 2018.    Now if I don’t keep the monitor hooked up, it doesn’t boot.