From: Scott Brady <utahkarate@...>
Date: 2021-09-13 6:12 p.m. (GMT-08:00)
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io
Subject: [IRLP] IRLP NODE FAILURE?

I recently had a major problem with my node. It has been working perfectly since last December. I have the node attached to a UPS power supply with a brand new usb power supply. The device powers up, but instead of hearing the node respond, it gives a couple of clicks and that is it. It doesn’t respond at all. I tried swapping out the sd card with a cloned one, same problem. I checked all network settings and I can ping the device locally, but cannot connect to it with Putty or from remote. The radio it is connected to is working fine and the network is too. No changes have been made to the network.  I watch the little green light on the raspberry pi and it initially turns on, flickers a few times, then after 30 seconds or so it flickers a little, then goes out completely for several seconds, then flickers a little. I have tried two other power supplies with the same problem. I suspect the power unit in the rasping has failed. Any ideas???

Scott Brady

I will try that. When I plug in the device it breaks the squelch twice, then nothing further happens. So I guess clicks in not the right word. Instead of hearing IRLP node active, it just breaks the squelch then sits there. The green light seems to go out for several seconds then comes back on. It it only solid for the first 10 seconds or so.

David Cameron - IRLP

The green light on the pi is drive activity. That is normal behavior.

It seems to be acting like the sound card is not working. Do you have anything plugged into any of the USB ports on the node?

Is this a node you pieced together, or bought compete?

Dave

Sent from my Bell Samsung device over Canada's largest network.

On 2021-09-13 7:24 p.m., Scott Brady wrote:
This is your device. I bought it directly from you. Nothing is plugged into and of the USB ports. The sound card would make sense. What do I do? The device is not at my home so I can’t connect to it until tomorrow.

Scott Brady

I tried three different power supplies. One of them was brand new, right out of the box. The power supply is connected to a UPS/surge protector. I will connect it to a monitor and keyboard later today and let you know. Thanks.

Allan Dunn, K1UCY

Your power supplies must be rated at 3 A minimum in many situations.  I found  one for 5A on the Internet.

On Sep 14, 2021, at 11:30 AM, Scott Brady <utahkarate@...> wrote:

I tried three different power supplies. One of them was brand new, right out of the box. The power supply is connected to a UPS/surge protector. I will connect it to a monitor and keyboard later today and let you know. Thanks.

David Cameron - IRLP

For the Pi4, only 1A is used most of the time, but if the processor kicks in hard, it can burst up to 2A.

The issue is often a dirty USB-C connector or something similar that causes resistance on the line, and when the current demand goes up, it causes the voltage to drop, further increasing the current requirement.

I have seen many a Pi taken out by bad power.

Dave

On Sep 14, 2021, at 11:30 AM, Scott Brady <utahkarate@gmail.com> wrote:

I tried three different power supplies. One of them was brand new, right out of the box. The power supply is connected to a UPS/surge protector. I will connect it to a monitor and keyboard later today and let you know. Thanks.

Scott Brady

I actually have two CanaKit 3.5A power supplies for raspberry pi. The power supply is connected to a robust UPS/surge protector. Power is not the problem. It has been connected to this power supply since last December.

Ross J

I had the same power supply fail after 3-4 months, I figured it couldn't be the PS. After much chagrin decided to try another and bingo.

Also if using a USB brick make sure the cable is heavy, I used a short one from a old moto phone it's been working great for years now.

My 2¢
Good luck,
Ross kc7rjk

On Sep 14, 2021 9:44 AM, Scott Brady <utahkarate@...> wrote:
I actually have two CanaKit 3.5A power supplies for raspberry pi. The power supply is connected to a robust UPS/surge protector. Power is not the problem. It has been connected to this power supply since last December.

Scott Brady

So I plugged it into a monitor and keyboard and nothing happens. Nothing on the screen. As I said I tried three different power supplies, two which are brand new. Nothing. That’s as far as I can go. Any further suggestions? When plugged into the network I can ping the local address and the wan address, but cannot access it through putty. No changes to the network or router has occurred. Everything is the same. The guess next step is to drive over it with my truck.

Jim Howe N2TDI

May not mean anything, but did you reboot after plugging them in?

Sent from my  iPhone 12 Pro

On Sep 14, 2021, at 20:36, Scott Brady <utahkarate@...> wrote:

So I plugged it into a monitor and keyboard and nothing happens. Nothing on the screen. As I said I tried three different power supplies, two which are brand new. Nothing. That’s as far as I can go. Any further suggestions? When plugged into the network I can ping the local address and the wan address, but cannot access it through putty. No changes to the network or router has occurred. Everything is the same. The guess next step is to drive over it with my truck.

David Cameron - IRLP

Did you try both hdmi ports?

If you're getting nothing, I'm guessing the SD card is no longer bootable and corrupted somehow.

Watch the two leds on the pi beside the SD card when it boots... what do you see?

Dave Cameron

On 2021-09-14 6:05 p.m., Scott Brady wrote:
I tried both hdmi ports, rebooted it several times. Nothing. I have a second sd card which is a clone of the first which booted fine when I made it. The light to the right of the were the sd card plugs in starts and stays red. I can see a little green flash of light near the red one that flashes every few seconds.

Scott Brady

I am using a hdmi to vga converter, which has always worked in the past. I forgot to mention that the debian color screen flashes momentarily when I first plug it in, but then goes dark. Is this something I can send to you for repair, or do I buy a new one?

David Cameron - IRLP

You need to try hdmi direct first. Do you have an HDMI TV? Get a cable to rule it out.

Also, if you have a spare SD card, image anything on it, like the latest raspberry pi OS, and see if that boots.

I could look at repairing it. Likely just needs something replaced. Would be good to know if the pi is functional though.