Topics

IRLPHelp YouTube page - looking for suggestions to keep busy (and sane) in these troubling times.

David Cameron - IRLP

Dear IRLPdom,

Although I work in an "essential service" as an Engineer for the local First Responder Radio Network, I am finding myself with a lot more spare time as I can't do anything outside of work hours any more. As such, I figured I would make a request to people for Tutorials they want to see on the IRLPHelp YouTube page.

I will use a screen recorder and SSH to log into either a local node (or even a remote one) and walk through the process I would use to solve the problem, install something, etc. It will be very similar to ones already on the IRLPHelp page:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeTl_g94ehFMQZJwEGDaq0w

I also can use a local camera to show physical things like modifications, board testing (COS, PTT, etc). I have a limitation that all of the videos using screen capture will be performed using software on Windows. However, most of the same tools exist on other software. I also do not have a lot of software to merge video files, so don't expect professional transitions :)

I am hoping to do a number of these over the coming weeks, so your part is to give suggestions as to what you would like to see demonstrated. The only thing I ask is that is pertains to things supported by IRLP, such as node builds, configuration of the node, IRLP VPN, Pi-based nodes, PiRLP, Embedded nodes, etc. This will exclude things like EchoIRLP, IRLPvCON, or third party scripts.

Some of the ones I plan to do first are:

- How to use the troubleshoot-irlp script
- How to obtain and install an IRLP VPN certificate
- The technical details behind a node-to-node call
- The technical details behind a node-to-reflector call
- Port forwarding 101 - What ports are required and how do you set them up (using my router anyhow).

Please send your suggestions to my personal email dcameron@..., and I will triage them to come up with a schedule.

Stay safe.

David Cameron
VE7LTD

Derek

Dave,
Great idea!
Derek - VE5SD

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 11:05 AM -0600, "David Cameron - IRLP" <dcameron@...> wrote:

[...]

larry_n7fm

A tutorial on using Remote Admin and editing files etc. might be helpful to many.

Larry - N7FM

On 3/31/20 10:05 AM, David Cameron - IRLP wrote:
[...]

Jeff Daugherty

How to install airport weather

Sent from my Sprint Phone.

[...]

IRLP did not write an airport weather script, so I am unable to support it. I was pretty clear that third party scripts were not included.

To be honest, I am not aware of a script that does that. If someone wants to record a video of this script, we can link to it.

David Cameron

On 31/03/2020 2:59 p.m., Jeff Daugherty wrote:
[...]

Rick NK7I

I use a heavily modified (from the original) airport weather script for my local airport.  It uses  'metar' (an app) to grab the metar report from the airport, convert it to human tolerant text, then into voice; run as a cron job, played on command. Festival, sed and metar must be installed.

But since I also run a Davis weather station using the node as a web server, I put in a script to parse the data file to the data I want; convert that into text, audio and transmitted on command. The data file is produced on another computer, using the Valley Information Systems software (I'm not a shill, just use it).  That also is a cron task, so the data is near live (5 min).

The combination is handy while traveling around the node coverage area.

Rick NK7I
7962

On 3/31/2020 3:18 PM, David Cameron - IRLP wrote:
[...]

Carl Sorensen

Hi David,

I got brave enough to do the tutorial on setting audio levels.  After I was done, I realized that you didn't say how to turn on the DTMF after I used the killall dtmf command.  So how do I turn it back on?  I went through the end of the tutproal a few times and never heard it mentioned.

Carl, NB7C #3417

On Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 11:05:41 AM MDT, David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...> wrote:

[...]

It seems to have been forgotten, but it will start on the next time the node is booted. I may have to update that video as there are a couple of minor gotchas in that video.

Dave Cameron

Hi David,
Please send your suggestions to my personal email dcameron@... <mailto:dcameron@...>, and
I will triage them to come up with a schedule.
Stay safe.
David Cameron
VE7LTD

Doug Waterson

Hi Dave,

Great idea. The support and the help you and Dave G and others in the team give is excellent.

One of the challenges I have had is building the RPi node from scratch using the Raspbian Debian Buster Lite download and then following the directions to download the IRLP script. Once that is all completed and when I first reboot, I lose the wifi. I have solved this with the help from Dave G and yourself, however I see that others have had the same problem.

Could you do a video that steps right through the IRLP setup. Basic I know, but for ones like myself with limited Linux skills this would be great.

Just a suggestion.

With Kind Regards, Doug (VK4DW) 6244, 6762 and others

--
Doug Waterson

doug.r.waterson@...
m: 04 3112 6099

Carl Sorensen

Thanks for the videos and the reboot did it. Node sounds great again.

73 de Carl NB7C
Nodes 3407 es 3417