Topics

moderated Is IPXcore dot com gone forever?? Two months early? What?

Craig - K1BDX - Node 8724

As far as I can tell, Ipxcore.com is gone forever.

They were warning us that they were going out of business on July 31st
but it looks like everything stopped working yesterday May 31st. Not
very sporting of those old boys, eh?

So, if any of you were using ipxcore for a vpn or an experimental
reflector, I will be happy to help you move over to virmach.com for
$12.50 a year

Also, Dave Cameron, the experimental reflector list at
experimental.irlp.net has also vanished into internet oblivion,
however I have been planning for this event and the list is now on a
virmach maching at this IP address. At your convenience, please
reassign the subdomain experimental.irlp.net to this ip address
172.245.36.230

Thanks!

Before Dave Cameron makes that happen you can always access the
experimental list by its raw ip address here:

http://172.245.36.230/

Neal Bailey

Thanks for the update, Craig.  I need to switch another vpn over and thought I had more time! That's what I get for procrastinating.  Also, I haven't checked my node since this morning to see if my current vpn still works or not.

[...]

https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2F172.245.36.230%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C178c13d5e653473bc16a08d806652b2a%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637266378863964286&amp;sdata=H0GU%2BIqumynB3dmpELDdyNe3dDDPWKvqbyngRQtMbDE%3D&amp;reserved=0

I sent an email to the three email addresses that I have for ipxcore and let them know my displeasure for shutting down two months earlier than they said they were going to. This afternoon everything is back up and running again!

> As far as I can tell, Ipxcore.com is gone forever.
>
> They were warning us that they were going out of business on July 31st
> but it looks like everything stopped working yesterday May 31st. Not
> very sporting of those old boys, eh?
>
> So, if any of you were using ipxcore for a vpn or an experimental
> reflector, I will be happy to help you move over to virmach.com for
> $12.50 a year
>
> Also, Dave Cameron, the experimental reflector list at
> experimental.irlp.net has also vanished into internet oblivion,
> however I have been planning for this event and the list is now on a
> virmach maching at this IP address. At your convenience, please
> reassign the subdomain experimental.irlp.net to this ip address
> 172.245.36.230
>
> Thanks!
>
> Before Dave Cameron makes that happen you can always access the
> experimental list by its raw ip address here:
>

> http://172.245.36.230/

Fred

Mick, did you get any replies to your emails that you sent?

On Jun 2, 2020, at 7:59 PM, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) <tarra@...> wrote:

I sent an email to the three email addresses that I have for ipxcore and let them know my displeasure for shutting down two months earlier than they said they were going to. This afternoon everything is back up and running again!

> As far as I can tell, Ipxcore.com is gone forever.
>
> They were warning us that they were going out of business on July 31st
> but it looks like everything stopped working yesterday May 31st. Not
> very sporting of those old boys, eh?
>
> So, if any of you were using ipxcore for a vpn or an experimental
> reflector, I will be happy to help you move over to virmach.com for
> $12.50 a year
>
> Also, Dave Cameron, the experimental reflector list at
> experimental.irlp.net has also vanished into internet oblivion,
> however I have been planning for this event and the list is now on a
> virmach maching at this IP address. At your convenience, please
> reassign the subdomain experimental.irlp.net to this ip address
> 172.245.36.230
>
> Thanks!
>
> Before Dave Cameron makes that happen you can always access the
> experimental list by its raw ip address here:
>

> http://172.245.36.230/

I just checked and their web site is back up and running again.

> Mick, did you get any replies to your emails that you sent?
>
> > On Jun 2, 2020, at 7:59 PM, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) wrote:
> >
> > ?
> > I sent an email to the three email addresses that I have for ipxcore and let them know my displeasure for shutting down two months earlier than they said they were going to. This afternoon everything is back up and running again!
> >
> > Mick - W7CAT
> > Node 3464

Yes, they actual sent me an open trouble ticket just before 4:00 this afternoon and that was probably about the time it began working again.

> Mick, did you get any replies to your emails that you sent?
>
> > On Jun 2, 2020, at 7:59 PM, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) wrote:
> >
> > ?
> > I sent an email to the three email addresses that I have for ipxcore and let them know my displeasure for shutting down two months earlier than they said they were going to. This afternoon everything is back up and running again!
> >
> > Mick - W7CAT
> > Node 3464

Fred

Mick,  did you get a reply from any of the emails that you sent?     We know their website is back up.

I just checked and their web site is back up and running again.

> Mick, did you get any replies to your emails that you sent?
>
> > On Jun 2, 2020, at 7:59 PM, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) wrote:
> >
> > ?
> > I sent an email to the three email addresses that I have for ipxcore and let them know my displeasure for shutting down two months earlier than they said they were going to. This afternoon everything is back up and running again!
> >
> > Mick - W7CAT
> > Node 3464

I suspect that their provider pulled their plug for non payment. I suspect they are just resellers of a service they purchase from others.

I would back up anything you have there, as it appears they are on thin ice.

Ref9070 has been moved already to a new service.

Dave Cameron

On 2020-06-02 9:06 p.m., Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) wrote:

I just checked and their web site is back up and running again.

> Mick, did you get any replies to your emails that you sent?
>
> > On Jun 2, 2020, at 7:59 PM, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) wrote:
> >
> > ?
> > I sent an email to the three email addresses that I have for ipxcore and let them know my displeasure for shutting down two months earlier than they said they were going to. This afternoon everything is back up and running again!
> >
> > Mick - W7CAT
> > Node 3464

I will send this again since Fred missed it:

Yes, they actual sent me an open trouble ticket just before 4:00 this afternoon and that was probably about the time it began working again.

> Mick, did you get any replies to your emails that you sent?
>
> > On Jun 2, 2020, at 7:59 PM, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) wrote:
> >
> > ?
> > I sent an email to the three email addresses that I have for ipxcore and let them know my displeasure for shutting down two months earlier than they said they were going to. This afternoon everything is back up and running again!
> >
> > Mick - W7CAT
> > Node 3464

My plan was to switch over to Digital Ocean tomorrow, and that is still the plan.

I thought maybe it was because his mom found all those little computers in the corner of his bedroom : )

> I suspect that their provider pulled their plug for non payment. I
> suspect they are just resellers of a service they purchase from others.
>
> I would back up anything you have there, as it appears they are on thin ice.
>
> Ref9070 has been moved already to a new service.
>
> Dave Cameron
>
> On 2020-06-02 9:06 p.m., Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association
> (TARRA) wrote:
> >
> > I just checked and their web site is back up and running again.
> >
> > Mick - W7CAT
> > Node 3464

Fred

Mick,  I opened a trouble ticket with him a few months ago only to get no reply and have it closed 3 days later with no reply or satisfaction.    How much is digital ocean going to charge you for a server?

On Jun 3, 2020, at 7:41 AM, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) <tarra@...> wrote:

My plan was to switch over to Digital Ocean tomorrow, and that is still the plan.

I thought maybe it was because his mom found all those little computers in the corner of his bedroom : )

> I suspect that their provider pulled their plug for non payment. I
> suspect they are just resellers of a service they purchase from others.
>
> I would back up anything you have there, as it appears they are on thin ice.
>
> Ref9070 has been moved already to a new service.
>
> Dave Cameron
>
> On 2020-06-02 9:06 p.m., Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association
> (TARRA) wrote:
> >
> > I just checked and their web site is back up and running again.
> >
> > Mick - W7CAT
> > Node 3464

The cat probably knocked the power cord out of the wall, and took them a few days to notice.
-k9dc

On Jun 3, 2020, at 08:38, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) <tarra@...> wrote:

I thought maybe it was because his mom found all those little computers in the corner of his bedroom : )

Hello Fred, $5 per month, so quite a bit more. I still don't consider it that much if it works well. Still looking at other options. Anyone else with a good suggestion?

On Jun 3, 2020, at 09:30, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) <tarra@...> wrote:
Hello Fred, $5 per month, so quite a bit more. I still don't consider it that much if it works well. Still looking at other options. Anyone else with a good suggestion?
Mick - W7CAT
IRLP Server3/Ref9200 and Server4/Ref9600 are both hosted at Vultr.com, Chicago and Sydney respectively. Those machines also are acting as hubs for the IRLP VPN service. Highly automated tools for deploying and maintaining things. They have a $5/month product, but we opted for their high performance platform for $6/mo. They also offer a $2.50/mo $3.50/mo service in some of their data centers, although it takes some poking around to find it. Multi-Gigabit performance typical.

Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 4280.87 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed.................................................................
Upload: 1700.26 Mbit/s

We’ve been very happy at Vultr.com.

You also could use Amazon AWS for the same money. You probably already have an account there if you ever ordered anything from Amazon (same creds). https://aws.amazon.com/

IRLP actually used AWS for a while, but they could not support the BGP routing we needed to bring up the IRLP VPN service. Vultr did, so we moved, and not looked back.

David McAnally

Vultr offers prices as low as $3.50 for IPV4 hosting.  $2.50 if you only use IPV6. But you have to look for the  lower price systems on their various hosting sites. They are not available on all host sites all the time. I'm using their higher performance $6/month plan for VoIP systems. I also use Digital Ocean, but use Vultr mostly since I started using their BGP services for 44-Net.

I've been considering trying NFOservers.com for a dedicated VPS to see if they perform better on VoIP, enough to justify the higher cost.

David M.
WD5M
Node 3747 and others
Been thinking

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 8:31 AM Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) <tarra@...> wrote:

Hello Fred, $5 per month, so quite a bit more. I still don't consider it that much if it works well. Still looking at other options. Anyone else with a good suggestion?

> Mick, I opened a trouble ticket with him a few months ago only to get no reply and have it closed 3 days later with no reply or satisfaction. How much is digital ocean going to charge you for a server?
>
> > On Jun 3, 2020, at 7:41 AM, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) wrote:
> >
> > ?
> > My plan was to switch over to Digital Ocean tomorrow, and that is still the plan.
> >
> > I thought maybe it was because his mom found all those little computers in the corner of his bedroom : )
> >
> > Mick - W7CAT
> > Node 3464

I second Vultr over DigitalOcean. I host IRLP.net on DigitalOcean and I would switch in a heartbeat if I could without downtime to the website or just the general heartache of a move.

The issue I am having with Outlook mail services ties directly to DigitalOcean not going after spammers. Not saying that Vultr IPs would not also be blocked, but as others have mentioned they will BGP advertise your 44-net blocks, and you can use the IPs from their servers.

IRLP uses the $6 a month Vultr servers as Dave Gingrich mentioned. I believe that reflector 9070 just moved to a Vultr image as well.

On 2020-06-03 6:54 a.m., David McAnally wrote:
Vultr offers prices as low as $3.50 for IPV4 hosting <https://www.vultr.com/products/cloud-compute/#pricing>.  $2.50 if you only use IPV6. But you have to look for the  lower price systems on their various hosting sites. They are not available on all host sites all the time. I'm using their higher performance $6/month plan <https://www.vultr.com/products/high-frequency-compute/#pricing> for VoIP systems. I also use Digital Ocean, but use Vultr mostly since I started using their BGP services for 44-Net.
I've been considering trying NFOservers.com <https://www.nfoservers.com/order-virtual-dedicated-server.php> for a dedicated VPS to see if they perform better on VoIP, enough to justify the higher cost.
David M.
WD5M
Node 3747 and others
Been thinking

virmach.com <http://virmach.com> for

<http://experimental.irlp.net> to this ip address

____
--
__ __
0

Kevin Halton

I have had reflector 9870 running on vultr for several years with zero issues.

On 2020-06-03 6:54 a.m., David McAnally wrote:
[...]

Lonney [K1LH]

Oracle Cloud offer an "always free" option that allows two VMs (2 core CPU, 1GB RAM, 100GB storage), public IP, and load balancer, internet bandwidth is limited to 10mbps. These might be suitable for lighter/simple workloads that dont require more advanced features. Not sure how applicable this might be for IRLP use etc.

Lonney
K1LH

I just thought I would pass this along that I got this afternoon:

Hello,

The recent outage was due to a mistake at our data center. The VPS serves are still set to be discontinued on July 31st.