Topics

Issues with Microsoft Mail services

David Cameron - IRLP

Just wanted everyone to know about a problem I am having with Mircosoft Mail services that will not have a resolution.

First, they blocked IRLP's outgoing email because my server is hosted at DigitalOcean. DigitalOcean is a Virtual Private Server provider that provides IPs and servers to the masses (similar to IPXCore, etc).

It is not uncommon for servers on DigitalOcean to be used to send spam emails, as anyone can spin up a server, use it for a few hours to send hoards of spam, and then run away.

So Microsoft tagged EVERY IP from Digital Ocean as a spammer. So to get around this, I use a relay server from another system I maintain outside of DigitalOcean. This server has no reputation as a spammer, and worked fine.

But Microsoft decided that since the email originates from DigitalOcean and is relayed outside, that I am trying to get around their spam policies. I am not moving my server for this.

So I have given up. If your email is from hotmail.com, outlook.com, live.com (or .ca variants), you will not receive any email from IRLP - ever.

Dave Cameron
VE7LTD

k9dc

Also applies to anyone using their own domain name hosted at Microsoft or Office365. Basically If you want to communicate reliably with anyone, do not use Microsoft to host your mail. I’ve had email from Microsoft hosted services take up to a week to get through. I have no idea how much email never makes it.

-k9dc

On Jun 1, 2020, at 12:38, David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...> wrote:

So I have given up. If your email is from hotmail.com, outlook.com, live.com (or .ca variants), you will not receive any email from IRLP - ever.

Bob Dengler

At 6/1/2020 09:38 AM, you wrote:

But Microsoft decided that since the email originates from DigitalOcean
and is relayed outside, that I am trying to get around their spam
policies. I am not moving my server for this.

So I have given up. If your email is from hotmail.com, outlook.com,
live.com (or .ca variants), you will not receive any email from IRLP - ever.
How funny, as most of the spam I get these days comes from those 3 domains. At one point I considered configuring my e-mail server to block anything coming from outlook.com.

Bob NO6B

On 02/06/20 02:50, k9dc wrote:
Also applies to anyone using their own domain name hosted at Microsoft or Office365. Basically If you want to communicate reliably with anyone, do not use Microsoft to host your mail. I’ve had email from Microsoft hosted services take up to a week to get through. I have no idea how much email never makes it.
Hotmail also has a history of deleting mail their servers doesn't like. 
Years ago, I was working on an automailer that sent booking
confirmations when clients booked a course online.  We had clients
complain about not getting confirmation emails, and after a bit of
digging, a common thread was found - they all had Hotmail addresses.

Further testing proved that emails sent by the automailer were silently
deleted - they never appeared, not even in Spam.  Only advice we could
offer was not to use Hotmail accounts.

--

73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com