Topics

junk mail

fred@...

Well now that I have joined this group (have done this before on
yahoo) I expect that my email address will again be sold to the spam
dealers. When it does and it will, I will be out of here and my
address changed again. Yes I said "NO" to don't send me any junk
mail. But Yahoo is the yellow pages of the internet they get paid,
and sell information. When everyone else gets fed up with this one
let me know I will be happy to host a closed list on my domain.. Fred

tlang@...

Hello fred@...!

18 Jul 01 08:54, fred@... wrote to me:

f> Well now that I have joined this group (have done this before on
f> yahoo) I expect that my email address will again be sold to the spam
f> dealers. When it does and it will, I will be out of here and my
f> address changed again. Yes I said "NO" to don't send me any junk
f> mail. But Yahoo is the yellow pages of the internet they get paid,
f> and sell information. When everyone else gets fed up with this one
f> let me know I will be happy to host a closed list on my domain.. Fred

Well, I don't have much problem with spam at work, and I'm on a few yahoo
lists...

Tony, VK3JED

--- GoldED/W32 3.0.1
--
|Fidonet: Tony Langdon 3:633/284.18
|Internet: tlang@...

tlang@...

Hello fred@...!

18 Jul 01 08:54, fred@... wrote to me:

f> Well now that I have joined this group (have done this before on
f> yahoo) I expect that my email address will again be sold to the spam
f> dealers. When it does and it will, I will be out of here and my
f> address changed again. Yes I said "NO" to don't send me any junk
f> mail. But Yahoo is the yellow pages of the internet they get paid,
f> and sell information. When everyone else gets fed up with this one
f> let me know I will be happy to host a closed list on my domain.. Fred

Well, I don't have much problem with spam at work, and I'm on a few yahoo
lists...

Tony, VK3JED

--- GoldED/W32 3.0.1
--
|Fidonet: Tony Langdon 3:633/284.18
|Internet: tlang@...

Dr. David Toth

fred@... writes:

Well now that I have joined this group (have done this before on
yahoo) I expect that my email address will again be sold to the spam
dealers. When it does and it will, I will be out of here and my
address changed again. Yes I said "NO" to don't send me any junk
mail. But Yahoo is the yellow pages of the internet they get paid,
and sell information. When everyone else gets fed up with this one
let me know I will be happy to host a closed list on my domain.. Fred
Fred: I am on 4 or 5 groups on yahoo, and still only get about 3 spams per
week ... no change.

I never respond to them and they go away.

Dave

ne1h@...

An I offer a suggestion. I'm on over 30 lists at Yahoo and *never*
get spam.

The problem is which email address you use. You do not have to get a
yahoo address to use this service, you can use any email address.

If you register for a yahoo address, you run a much higher risk of
getting "marketing material" sent to that address than if you use
a "private email" address.

You can minimize this effort if you make sure you "opt out" of any
notification via that email address.... In the US, it's law now that
you have to specify if or how you want such legitimate "marketing
material". If you "opt out" and you still get it, you have legal
recourse.

But as I stated in the beginning, I have over 20 lists subscrbed and
I *never* get spam to that email address (btw, it's a private mail
address, not a yahoo, hotmail, etc).

In my opinion, don't blame the subscription to the list, check your
options and check what email address you signed up for and it's
policy.

my .02
Alan

--- In irlp@y..., tlang@f... wrote:

Hello fred@s...!

18 Jul 01 08:54, fred@s... wrote to me:

f> Well now that I have joined this group (have done this before on
f> yahoo) I expect that my email address will again be sold to the
spam
f> dealers. When it does and it will, I will be out of here and my
f> address changed again. Yes I said "NO" to don't send me any
junk
f> mail. But Yahoo is the yellow pages of the internet they get
paid,
f> and sell information. When everyone else gets fed up with this
one
f> let me know I will be happy to host a closed list on my
domain.. Fred

Well, I don't have much problem with spam at work, and I'm on a few
yahoo
lists...

Tony, VK3JED

--- GoldED/W32 3.0.1
--
|Fidonet: Tony Langdon 3:633/284.18
|Internet: tlang@f...

T. Glen Haggard <glen@...>

I am on two other yahoo list and I get junk mail galore, but, I must admit
that has more to do with publishing some webpages than being on the list. If
it becomes a problem I will again offer to host it here, I never sell
address. Dave told me that it was fine with him but Kent was already working
on this thing. We will see how it goes.

Glen

Tony Langdon <tlangdon@...>

But as I stated in the beginning, I have over 20 lists subscrbed and
I *never* get spam to that email address (btw, it's a private mail
address, not a yahoo, hotmail, etc).

In my opinion, don't blame the subscription to the list, check your
options and check what email address you signed up for and it's
policy.
I agree. As a subscriber (at home) to some 30 odd Yahoo lists (including
moderator of a handful), I haven't noticed any increase in spam as a result.
If anything, spam has slowly been decreasing over time. Can't blame Yahoo
for that. :)