Topics

$LOCAL/active

Hello to all,

It's been a while since I have posted here. One of my scripts doesn't work and I know the "WHY" but I'm at a loss as to "HOW" to fix it.

When my node connects to the exp reflector 0016 to listen to Amateur Radio Newsline it creates the "$LOCAL/active" file containing exp0016 as it should. When the news is finished it disconnects you, again... as it should but it doesn't remove the "$LOCAL/active" file so, my I script doesn't know 0016 has disconnected.

Any ideas? Is this a bug/feature of experimental reflectors?

A temporary fix is to time the news cast (as it rarely runs over 20 minutes) so I could set a timer to stop the script at 22 minutes or so, but I'd really rather get to the bottom of this issue.

Thanks All  Emoji

** Dave Parks **
1-734-219-2010
IRLP Node: 8139 / AllStar: 44108
Correspondent Amateur Radio Newsline

k9dc

I don’t know much about experimental operations, but doesn’t disconnecting from them involve calling the ‘end’ script, just like other calls? ‘end’ takes care of deleting local/active (i thought). Perhaps comparing ‘experimental_call’ to ‘call’ might yield something. But since EXP nodes really act more like reflectors, perhaps there needs to be something special added, since generally reflectors never drop callers, disconnects are requested only from the originating end of the call.

Maybe you could handle it by adding code to custom/custom_off

-k9dc

On Jul 14, 2020, at 13:31, Dave Parks - WB8ODF via groups.io <wb8odf=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

When my node connects to the exp reflector 0016 to listen to Amateur Radio Newsline it creates the "$LOCAL/active" file containing exp0016 as it should. When the news is finished it disconnects you, again... as it should but it doesn't remove the "$LOCAL/active" file so, my script doesn't know 0016 has disconnected.

Any ideas? Is this a bug/feature of experimental reflectors?

A temporary fix is to time the news cast (as it rarely runs over 20 minutes) so I could set a timer to stop the script at 22 minutes or so, but I'd really rather get to the bottom of this issue.

Thanks All

** Dave Parks **
1-734-219-2010
IRLP Node: 8139 / AllStar: 44108
Correspondent Amateur Radio Newsline

David Cameron - IRLP

Well "it" disconnects, but your node doesn't. Calls to reflectors (and experimental nodes) are fairly blind in that there is not an underlying TCP channel to send/receive info.

So your node will continue to be "connected" there until you issue the "end" command on your end, either by DTMF, by being "blocked", or by timeout or some other timer.

On 14/07/2020 11:18 a.m., k9dc wrote:
[...]

Steve Jones

Not too sure about reflectors, especially the experimental ones, but it depends on how you are playing the news file. You could watch the player's PID with something
like 'ps aux | grep whatever | head -n1' and call the 'end' script when the pid exits indicating that playback has finished...

Steve
STN 6732
VK2YLD

[...]

David McAnally

I suspect, since Skip WB6YMH is using theLinkBox to provide the audio, his experimental conference node plays the news file as a tlb/tbd "welcome" audio file when nodes connect. As Dave Cameron points out, there is no "disconnect" control from experimental nodes with connected IRLP nodes.  Disconnecting is left up to the connected IRLP node user.

If you're connecting newsline on a scheduled script (cron?), I suggest adding a second scheduled script/command to see if it's still connected to 0016 and disconnect from his node 20 to 30 minutes after you connect.  Alternatively, perhaps setting a suitable REFLECT_TIMEOUT_VALUE might disconnect your node too.

While it may be possible to add node disconnect control to theLinkBox, I doubt we'll see it implemented anytime soon, at least not on the NEWLSINE experimental reflector.

David M.
WD5M

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 3:41 PM David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...> wrote:
Well "it" disconnects, but your node doesn't. Calls to reflectors (and
experimental nodes) are fairly blind in that there is not an underlying
TCP channel to send/receive info.

So your node will continue to be "connected" there until you issue the
"end" command on your end, either by DTMF, by being "blocked", or by
timeout or some other timer.

On 14/07/2020 11:18 a.m., k9dc wrote:
> I don’t know much about experimental operations, but doesn’t disconnecting from them involve calling the ‘end’ script, just like other calls? ‘end’ takes care of deleting local/active (i thought).  Perhaps comparing ‘experimental_call’ to ‘call’ might yield something. But since EXP nodes really act more like reflectors, perhaps there needs to be something special added, since generally reflectors never drop callers, disconnects are requested only from the originating end of the call.
>
> Maybe you could handle it by adding code to custom/custom_off
>
> -k9dc
>

>> On Jul 14, 2020, at 13:31, Dave Parks - WB8ODF via groups.io <wb8odf=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>>
>> Hello to all,
>>
>> It's been a while since I have posted here. One of my scripts doesn't work and I know the "WHY" but I'm at a loss as to "HOW" to fix it.
>>
>> When my node connects to the exp reflector 0016 to listen to Amateur Radio Newsline it creates the "$LOCAL/active" file containing exp0016 as it should. When the news is finished it disconnects you, again... as it should but it doesn't remove the "$LOCAL/active" file so, my I script doesn't know 0016 has disconnected.
>>
>> Any ideas? Is this a bug/feature of experimental reflectors?
>>
>> A temporary fix is to time the news cast (as it rarely runs over 20 minutes) so I could set a timer to stop the script at 22 minutes or so, but I'd really rather get to the bottom of this issue.
>>
>> Thanks All

Steve Jones

There could be another way then,  try using ‘lsof | grep newsfilename’ to tell if the news file is still open for reading.  Execute the ‘end’ script after the news file is closed..  Just another thought..

Steve

  Stn 6732

   VK2YLD

On 15/7/20 12:09 pm, Steve Jones wrote:

There could be another way then,  try using ‘lsof | grep newsfilename’ to tell if the news file is still open for reading.  Execute the ‘end’ script after the news file is closed..  Just another thought..

I see several issues here:

1.  The file may be open for multiple nodes, so it may not be closed when a particular node's playback has finished.

2.  The playback ends on the server side, but there is no way to signal to the connected node that it's time to disconnect.  Experimental reflectors have no control channel, but I do have an idea (see below).

On the connecting node, monitor PTT activity, and when PTT has ceased for a specified number of seconds, assume that playback has finished and drop the connection (i.e. call "end").  Of course, a timer also works, assuming the length of the playback is fairly consistent.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

David McAnally

Just a quick follow-up. Skip's newsline experimental reflector/node 0018 does send a "disconnect" to IRLP nodes on the IRLP control port. If you're having issues with it disconnecting, or failing to clean up $LOCAL files, this may be an issue with your specific node.  When I connect to exp0018, it disconnects at the end of the news playback just like any node would disconnect.

David M.
WD5M

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 3:41 PM David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...> wrote:
Well "it" disconnects, but your node doesn't. Calls to reflectors (and
experimental nodes) are fairly blind in that there is not an underlying
TCP channel to send/receive info.

So your node will continue to be "connected" there until you issue the
"end" command on your end, either by DTMF, by being "blocked", or by
timeout or some other timer.

Nodes don't listen to that command, they rely on action from the node itself. This communication is normally done on the tcp control channel.

Dave

[...]

It seems to work. Reviewing the "irlpd" code, anything sent from a connected experimental (exp) node to port 15425 causes the "end" script to be executed. Doesn't even need to be "disconnect".

David M.
WD5M