Topics

Loss of Announcements - Nodes 4480, 4490 & 4677

K1IMD

This issue occurred this week or last week.  I have two IRLP nodes, is just IRLP and the other is an EchoIRLP node.

No modifications have been made and these nodes have been running for years and years headless unattended.

What has happened is I no longer hear any voice messages/announcements.  However, the node that has EchoIRLP installed the voice announcements work normally ONLY when accessing Echolink connections.  Otherwise the node works normally passing traffic both ways but just no announcements.

Both are running CentOS 4.9 (final) from the IRLP installation CD.  No I can't not upgrade as the hardware does not support any newer version of IRLP OS.  I have numerous times with these SBC Mini-ITX VIA PC's.

No doubt this was caused by some audio update since it effected at least 3 of my nodes that have been on forever.

Has anyone else had this problem recently?  If so, has anyone got a fix?

73
Jon K1IMD
Nodes: 4480, 4490, 4677, 4698, 4474, 4870

Ken

Node 1340 running an old Red Hat install.

Lost connect, disconnect and node status announcements last week. Other wise everything else it working normal,

I'm not into Linux so I passed the info on to our guy who runs things. He say all the tests on the node checked out OK. I left him to try to figure this out.

Another system with newer hardware and current Linux version are planed for the new year.

73..  Ken - VE5KC

I'm interested here too, I have a friend who lost audio coming from the node (ex: IRLP node is enabled/disabled & connect/disconnect notices).

The node works he can connect/disconnect and audio works fine just not the IRLP audio.

His node is CentOS 4.9

WB8ODF@...
http://wb8odf.com

On Wednesday, November 27, 2019, 11:22:39 PM EST, Ken <ve5kc@...> wrote:

Node 1340 running an old Red Hat install.

Lost connect, disconnect and node status announcements last week. Other wise everything else it working normal,

I'm not into Linux so I passed the info on to our guy who runs things. He say all the tests on the node checked out OK. I left him to try to figure this out.

Another system with newer hardware and current Linux version are planed for the new year.

73..  Ken - VE5KC

David Cameron - IRLP

The recent update to the wavplay script should fix both issues.

David Cameron

I'm interested here too, I have a friend who lost audio coming from the node (ex: IRLP node is enabled/disabled & connect/disconnect notices).

The node works he can connect/disconnect and audio works fine just not the IRLP audio.

His node is CentOS 4.9

>< Dave Parks ><
WB8ODF@...
http://wb8odf.com

On Wednesday, November 27, 2019, 11:22:39 PM EST, Ken <ve5kc@...> wrote:

Node 1340 running an old Red Hat install.

Lost connect, disconnect and node status announcements last week. Other wise everything else it working normal,

I'm not into Linux so I passed the info on to our guy who runs things. He say all the tests on the node checked out OK. I left him to try to figure this out.

Another system with newer hardware and current Linux version are planed for the new year.

73..  Ken - VE5KC

K1IMD

David,
I ran update files on both the nodes I can hear locally (4480 & 4677) and they updated... I then rebooted the node and still no joy.  All messages are not being played.  Otherwise the node works normally.

Running  CentOS 4.9 (final) IRLP distro.

73
Jon
K1IMD

On 11/27/2019 23:51, David Cameron - IRLP wrote:
[...]

When did you do this? There is a recent update from only an hour ago or so.

Dave Cameron

@WB8ODF <mailto:@WB8ODF>
http://wb8odf.com
Node: 8139 <mailto:dave@...>

<mailto:dave@...>

On Wednesday, November 27, 2019, 11:22:39 PM EST, Ken <ve5kc@...> wrote:

Node 1340 running an old Red Hat install.

Lost connect, disconnect and node status announcements last week. Other wise everything else it working normal,

I'm not into Linux so I passed the info on to our guy who runs things. He say all the tests on the node checked out OK. I left him to try to figure this out.

Another system with newer hardware and current Linux version are planed for the new year.

73..  Ken - VE5KC

K1IMD

Hi David,
This last update at about ~midnight ET did it!

Thank you..
73
Jon
K1IMD

WB8ODF@... <mailto:WB8ODF@...>
http://wb8odf.com
Node: 8139 <mailto:dave@...>

<mailto:dave@...>

On Wednesday, November 27, 2019, 11:22:39 PM EST, Ken <ve5kc@...> wrote:

Node 1340 running an old Red Hat install.

Lost connect, disconnect and node status announcements last week. Other wise everything else it working normal,

I'm not into Linux so I passed the info on to our guy who runs things. He say all the tests on the node checked out OK. I left him to try to figure this out.

Another system with newer hardware and current Linux version are planed for the new year.

73..  Ken - VE5KC

James Hall

I lost same on my embedded node but only for IRLP. The ECHOLINK portion is ok

created with care by Cold Duck

On Nov 27, 2019, at 6:22 PM, Ken <ve5kc@...> wrote:

Node 1340 running an old Red Hat install.

Lost connect, disconnect and node status announcements last week. Other wise everything else it working normal,

I'm not into Linux so I passed the info on to our guy who runs things. He say all the tests on the node checked out OK. I left him to try to figure this out.

Another system with newer hardware and current Linux version are planed for the new year.

73..  Ken - VE5KC

James Hall

Follow up on my last email. I had just arrived in Hawaii. I have since tested this embedded node. It acts same way. Only connect/disconnect announcements are gone for IRLP only. EchoLink announcements are ok. Custom CW id on IRLP announcements works still. So that’s both my nodes stopped working last Friday. I ran ... rc. Irlp and every thing rebooted but same loss of connect/disconnect announcements.
WH7CD
Jim

On Nov 27, 2019, at 8:07 PM, David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...> wrote:

[...]

I have made a new update to wavplay to cover the "old" style embedded nodes that run slackware.

The problem is now I am using an OS detection routine to determine (hopefully) which version of sox will properly create the audio files. The issue is the "joining of files" to make the audio congruent needs "sox", and the new version of sox do not use the same arguments as the old. Up until Debian 9, they would allow them and call them deprecated, but now on Debian 10 they throw an error with the latest version of sox.

Dave Cameron

On 2019-11-28 12:32, James Hall wrote:
Follow up on my last email. I had just arrived in Hawaii. I have since
tested this embedded node. It acts same way. Only connect/disconnect
announcements are gone for IRLP only. EchoLink announcements are ok.
Custom CW id on IRLP announcements works still. So that’s both my
nodes stopped working last Friday. I ran ... rc. Irlp and every thing
rebooted but same loss of connect/disconnect announcements.
WH7CD
Jim

James Hall

Is there anything I need to do such as reboot? So far no change on 3024,3212.
Jim
WH7CD

On 2019-11-28 12:32, James Hall wrote:
Follow up on my last email. I had just arrived in Hawaii. I have since
tested this embedded node. It acts same way. Only connect/disconnect
announcements are gone for IRLP only. EchoLink announcements are ok.
Custom CW id on IRLP announcements works still. So that’s both my
nodes stopped working last Friday. I ran ... rc. Irlp and every thing
rebooted but same loss of connect/disconnect announcements.
WH7CD
Jim

David Cameron - IRLP

Yes, you either need to reboot, or wait 24 hours since the last update. If you're in North America it should happen sometime overnight.

Is there anything I need to do such as reboot?  So far no change on 3024,3212.
Jim
WH7CD

created with care by Cold Duck

> On Nov 29, 2019, at 12:32 PM, David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...> wrote:
>
> I have made a new update to wavplay to cover the "old" style embedded nodes that run slackware.
>
> The problem is now I am using an OS detection routine to determine (hopefully) which version of sox will properly create the audio files. The issue is the "joining of files" to make the audio congruent needs "sox", and the new version of sox do not use the same arguments as the old. Up until Debian 9, they would allow them and call them deprecated, but now on Debian 10 they throw an error with the latest version of sox.
>
> Dave Cameron
>

>> On 2019-11-28 12:32, James Hall wrote:
>> Follow up on my last email. I had just arrived in Hawaii. I have since
>> tested this embedded node. It acts same way. Only connect/disconnect
>> announcements are gone for IRLP only. EchoLink announcements are ok.
>> Custom CW id on IRLP announcements works still. So that’s both my
>> nodes stopped working last Friday.  I ran ... rc. Irlp and every thing
>> rebooted but same loss of connect/disconnect announcements.
>> 3212
>> 3024
>> WH7CD
>> Jim

Nosey Nick VA3NNW

David Cameron - IRLP wrote:
I have made a new update to wavplay to cover the "old" style embedded
nodes that run slackware.
The problem is now I am using an OS detection routine to determine
(hopefully) which version of sox will properly create the audio files.
You don't technically care about the *OS Version* though, do you? You
care about the *SOX version*, so perhaps you would prefer to do
something safer like...

SOXVER=$(sox --version) # ...
case "$SOXVER" in
  *v12.*) sox --how-old-do-you-need-to-go? ;;
  *v13.*) sox --some-old-behaviour-here ;;
  *v14.*) sox --some-newer-behaviour-here ;;
  *c15.*) sox --do-you-wanna-guess-at-future-behaviour-too? ;;
  *) echo "Don't know what to do with $VER" ; exit 9 ;;
esac

Yes, BASH has case statements! ... or do you need to support REALLY
REALLY old versions of BASH too?    :-O

Nick VA3NNW

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer; sig@...

David Cameron - IRLP

Yes, but the old version if sox doesn't have a version flag....

It really is not an easy fix either way.

Dave

David Cameron - IRLP wrote:
Yes, but the old version if sox doesn't have a version flag....
HAH! That's kinda hilarious, but you could still do...

SOXVER=$(sox --version) 2>/dev/null
case "$SOXVER" in
  "") sox --options-for-versionless-sox ;;
  *v14.*) sox --some-newer-behaviour-here ;;
  *v15.*) sox --do-you-wanna-guess-at-future-behaviour-too? ;;
  *) echo "Don't know what to do with $VER" ; exit 9 ;;
esac

Nick CA3NNW

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer; sig@...
Speak softly and carry a +6 two-handed sword.