Micro Nodes - to Junk or not

larry_n7fm

Greetings All,

Following another thread I saw some comments that might need some additional information for those who own a Nano Nodes.

Since many knew , all of the support and web address for Nano Nodes went away some time back.

Recently at a tailgate swapfest I sold a working Nano Node for a failing Ham. I cautioned the buyer (as Dave G and others have stated - "Micronode International has gone out of business, leaving their products unsupportable by anyone.") leaving owners without support and Micro Node no longer existing.

The buyer informed me I was wrong and things were changing with MicroNode International.  He informed me had actually talked to Mark via phone just prior to buying the Nano Node and was assured he would be able to register it in his name and call and help would be available.

NOW .... It is not my place or intention to spread a rumor that MicroNode International may be coming back.
However for those with non working Nano Nodes I wouldn't junk them just yet. Plus you might do some research on your own.

A web site is once again active and you might be able to get accurate information about their future status from them.  <https://www.facebook.com/MicroNodeInternational/>

I don't own a Micro Node and and can answer no questions. I am simply passing on a personal experience that happened while I was helping a friend sell his ham gear.

Larry - N7FM

Dave K9DC

It doesn’t look like anything has been posted to that Facebook link since late 2018 (although I do not have a Facebook account, so I can’t log in and look around).

I think it is a real shame the Nano Node failed. I thought the hardware was brilliant. There is not a single wire inside the box connecting anything. Entirely a board sandwich. Proprietary board containing the radio, power supply and IRLP board functionality.  The radio module is not great (spectrally terrible, probably illegal), but as long as you never connect a real antenna, you can probably get away with it.

Software OTOH, was terrible. They went way out of their way to make it impossible for anyone else to work on them and tied the installation to the hardware, both to the display panel and the Ethernet address of the Pi. It was not their practice to even deliver login passwords for them. If you hounded them, you might get the root password. I ended up with one from the estate of a local SK, and got the password for it.  (main purpose was to make sure IRLP VPN would work on the Nano)

-k9dc

On Jul 22, 2021, at 18:34, larry_n7fm <larry@...> wrote:

[...]

Well i'm with you Dave. Never owned one have friends who do. From reports and looking at one they appear to be a really neat little units.

I also don't do Facebook so can't speak to that Web page link but it at least exists where before ALL MicroNode sites went to a 404 page.

Since the man who was talking with Mark was standing 2 feet away getting conformation. I just though those with Nodes that were not working might like to hear what I experienced. Rather than put it in the trash can only to find out there was hope for repair or support.

Larry - N7FM

On Jul 22, 2021, at 18:34, larry_n7fm <larry@n7fm.com> wrote:

[...]

David Cameron - IRLP

There are a number of people that have taken "broken" SD cards and done some magic with them. A number of them they were able to rewrite the first partition from another node onto the existing card and brought them back to life. Some people just read the card and put the image on another card and it started working.

Without someone to spearhead the project, likely will not be too successful.

As Dave G mentioned - there was a major effort made by the original software developer to make them impossible to revive without support input.

On 2021-07-22 9:53 p.m., larry_n7fm wrote:
[...]

My Nano node (3510) showed up in the mail today refurbished.
Seems to be working perfectly.

larry_n7fm

Any other details Steve?
Some may want to know how you went about getting it worked on. Possibly the contact procedure you used.

Larry - N7FM

On 8/4/21 3:13 PM, Steve Herman wrote:
My Nano node (3510) showed up in the mail today refurbished.
Seems to be working perfectly.

No much to add. At Mark's request, I sent the Nano node back to him in May of 2020. He was not responsive after that despite several queries since then.
Yesterday, the repaired node appeared in my mailbox.

William Franzin

Hi all,

I've been working on embedded Linux for about 20 years now and had to teach myself how to build firmware for wireless APs, IP cameras, VoIP ATAs etc and ported OpenWrt to a device a while back.

If someone has a bunch of these micro nodes sitting around I'd be interested in getting one to learn about the hardware and happy to share documentation and tools for keeping them operational and building new images.

William
VE4VR

On 2021-07-22 9:53 p.m., larry_n7fm wrote:
> [...]
>>> and Micro Node no longer existing.
>>>
>>> The buyer informed me I was wrong and things were changing with
>>> MicroNode International.  He informed me had actually talked to Mark
>>> via phone just prior to buying the Nano Node and was assured he would
>>> be able to register it in his name and call and help would be available.
>>>
>>> NOW .... It is not my place or intention to spread a rumor that
>>> MicroNode International may be coming back.
>>> However for those with non working Nano Nodes I wouldn't junk them
>>> just yet. Plus you might do some research on your own.
>>>
>>> A web site is once again active and you might be able to get accurate
>>> information about their future status from them.
>>> <https://www.facebook.com/MicroNodeInternational/>
>>>
>>> I don't own a Micro Node and and can answer no questions. I am simply
>>> passing on a personal experience that happened while I was helping a

William Franzin

What we need to do here is start fresh and build a modern software image for these devices. At this point the image people are running will be so full of vulnerabilities it probably shouldn't be on the public internet.

There was a Pi AllStarLink node released months ago that's effectively the same thing, and easily this setup could run IRLP, EchoLink, AllStarLink etc. It's just a little radio, audio interface and some control hardware.

Lets rebuild it. If someone has a junked unit that can no longer be used I could use that. Also need a copy of a working image but the goal is throw away their software and build a modern image that's supportable.

William

On 2021-07-22 9:53 p.m., larry_n7fm wrote:
> [...]
>>> and Micro Node no longer existing.
>>>
>>> The buyer informed me I was wrong and things were changing with
>>> MicroNode International.  He informed me had actually talked to Mark
>>> via phone just prior to buying the Nano Node and was assured he would
>>> be able to register it in his name and call and help would be available.
>>>
>>> NOW .... It is not my place or intention to spread a rumor that
>>> MicroNode International may be coming back.
>>> However for those with non working Nano Nodes I wouldn't junk them
>>> just yet. Plus you might do some research on your own.
>>>
>>> A web site is once again active and you might be able to get accurate
>>> information about their future status from them.
>>> <https://www.facebook.com/MicroNodeInternational/>
>>>
>>> I don't own a Micro Node and and can answer no questions. I am simply
>>> passing on a personal experience that happened while I was helping a

Dave K9DC

Problem is, the hardware is proprietary and the gentleman that wrote the code for it is Silent Key. He also went out of his way to make it impossible to support without sending it in.

k9dc

On Aug 5, 2021, at 09:24, William Franzin <wfranzin@gmail.com> wrote:

What we need to do here is start fresh and build a modern software image for these devices. At this point the image people are running will be so full of vulnerabilities it probably shouldn't be on the public internet.

There was a Pi AllStarLink node released months ago that's effectively the same thing, and easily this setup could run IRLP, EchoLink, AllStarLink etc. It's just a little radio, audio interface and some control hardware.

Lets rebuild it. If someone has a junked unit that can no longer be used I could use that. Also need a copy of a working image but the goal is throw away their software and build a modern image that's supportable.

William

William Franzin

I'd rate this task at 3/10 on my personal difficulty level. A weekend and I'd have the radio, DTMF and probably screen up too.

Needs a modern UI similar to Qt powered coffee machines or other appliances. Modern OS and drivers.

I've spent my life reverse engineering things for entertainment. This thing needs a current sodtware image that's all.

Someone out there with a non operational unit that you'd like to donate please reach out.

Thank you
William

On Thu., Aug. 5, 2021, 12:25 p.m. Dave K9DC via groups.io, <Dave=dcg.us@groups.io> wrote:

Problem is, the hardware is proprietary and the gentleman that wrote the code for it is Silent Key. He also went out of his way to make it impossible to support without sending it in.

k9dc

> On Aug 5, 2021, at 09:24, William Franzin <wfranzin@...> wrote:
>

> What we need to do here is start fresh and build a modern software image for these devices. At this point the image people are running will be so full of vulnerabilities it probably shouldn't be on the public internet.
>
> There was a Pi AllStarLink node released months ago that's effectively the same thing, and easily this setup could run IRLP, EchoLink, AllStarLink etc. It's just a little radio, audio interface and some control hardware.
>
> Lets rebuild it. If someone has a junked unit that can no longer be used I could use that. Also need a copy of a working image but the goal is throw away their software and build a modern image that's supportable.
>
> William

Wes AE6ZM

I suppose the salient issue might be, who owns the hardware? Were they sold under a User License? Or outright? Nowadays it is common to bear Hams say the legalities don't concern them, and that is up to the. If the hardware was issued only under license to use, then it seems prudent for thise involved to make some acknowledgement of that fact if they wish to be involved in using it for some use not included in the license. Another factor would be, what is the current status of any license, should it exist? In someones inheritance?
--
VY 73,
Wes

Ramon Gandia

A micronode is a Pi, LCD display, and a half watt radio-on-chip. Very
similar to the Baofent UV5R, but without the 5 watt PA. I think the
IRLP board is similar to the IRLP version 2 board, but not the same.

I is fairly inexpensive today to get a Pi3 or Pi4, USB sound dongle,
IRLP board and a handheld of your choice. The UV-5R is a terrible
radio; if you hook it up to a real antenna is will be full of birdies.
But might be OK.

LCD screens and a box to house it all is inexpensive as well.

This can all be put together at home. Use a half watt radio module
if you want, they are about $18 ebay. Terrible on birdies, but up
to you. I would use something more robust, like an ICOM V80 or even
a dual band.

In the past I have modified UV-5Rs as well as Alinco 195, 196, 496 and
the dual band 596 to obtain audio not affected by the volume control,
and a RUS signal. That is like COR, but following the PL tone received.

It is a bit touchy on the DTMF decode. The IRLP board has a fairly
old DTMF decoder chip, and a bit touchy. You may want to get a more
modern DTMF decoder and bypass the IRLP one. Your mileage may vary.

In the micronode, the RADIO parameters are controlled by the node
system, whereas in MY version you set the radio up separate. All
other functions for the node are easy to do via remote, ssh, or
locally on an LCD or HDMI dislay. They have LCD with buttons to
do that. Can be color, like 320x160 etc.

None of this is rocket science.

Why bother trying to resurrect what is ancient hardware, fraught
with problems?

Most people having Micronode problems is because they did not follow
the directions and DID NOT make a useable copy of the supplied SD card.
Once the card dies, you are in hot water without a spare.

Windows does not make a reliable copy of the SD card.

Just my two cents.

Ramon AL7X 3288

On 8/5/21 11:51 AM, Wes AE6ZM wrote:
I suppose the salient issue might be, who owns the hardware? Were they sold under a User License? Or outright? Nowadays it is common to bear Hams say the legalities don't concern them, and that is up to the. If the hardware was issued only under license to use, then it seems prudent for thise involved to make some acknowledgement of that fact if they wish to be involved in using it for some use not included in the license. Another factor would be, what is the current status of any license, should it exist? In someones inheritance?
--
VY 73,
Wes
AE6ZM
Node 3343

Tony

On 8/5/21 12:51 PM, Wes AE6ZM wrote:
Another factor would be, what is the current status of any license, should it exist? In someones inheritance?

K6IB is now Silent Key, so your question is very relevant. However, it appears to only apply to the software when removed from the node:

repeater@irlp:~$ cat /var/www/NanoNode_EULA_License.txt
------------ NANO-NODE - End User License Agreement ------------

      Program: NANO-NODE Software Package
(c) Copyright: Integrated Communication Technologies &
                    Brent W. Sylvester
                2014 - All Rights Reserved

The NANO-NODE Software Package ("Software") installed on this
computer is owned by Integrated Communication Technologies
("ICT"), and Brent W. Sylvester ("Sylvester").
Its structure, organization and code are proprietary
to and the valuable intelectual property of ICT, and Sylvester.
The Software has been (c) copyrighted by ICT, and Sylvester
and is protected under the Universal Copyright Convention("UCC")
and United States Copyright Law. All Rights are Reserved and
Retained by ICT, and Sylvester.

The copy of the Software installed on this computer has been
Licensed by ICT, and Sylvester through Micro-Node
International ("MicroNode") to the End User for use ONLY on
this NANO-NODE computer. ANY OTHER USE In Whole or In Part
Including Copying, Publishing, Distribution, Installation On
Another Computer, Or Disclosing Any Contents To Third Parties
Is EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED Without Written Permission from ICT
and Sylvester. Violations Will Be Subject To Legal Action.

ANY Changes or Modifications to the Software installed on this
device will VOID ANY AND ALL WARRANTY, SUPPORT or UPDATES
provided by MicroNode or ICT.

Integrated Communication Technologies
3748 Sunwest Terrace
Fremont, California 94555 - USA

Micro-Node International
1000 N Green Valley Pkwy, Suite 300-249
Henderson, Nevada 89074 - USA

Nosey Nick VA3NNW

It is a bit touchy on the DTMF decode.  The IRLP board has a fairly
old DTMF decoder chip, and a bit touchy.  You may want to get a more
modern DTMF decoder and bypass the IRLP one.
Along these lines...

I'm pretty sure software DTMF decoders beat hardware ones these days. Doing this would also mean we could use an almost unmodified pi with a USB sound card ... maybe 2 components hidden in a PTT cable(?), maybe one or two hidden in a COS cable but honestly anyone who has looked at a 'scope of their radio's "audio out" can tell you COS should be easy to do in software too.

Why have we not done this yet? It can't be just 'cos Dave has a garage full of IRLP boards he needs to sell to pay for his retirement? ;-)

Any way I can help? I have almost 3 decades of Linux software development experience, including plenty on raspberry pis.

Nick

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209, IRLP #2410
use Std::Disclaimer; sig@noseynick.net

On 8/8/21 3:08 am, Nosey Nick VA3NNW wrote:

It is a bit touchy on the DTMF decode.  The IRLP board has a fairly
old DTMF decoder chip, and a bit touchy.  You may want to get a more
modern DTMF decoder and bypass the IRLP one.
Along these lines...

I'm pretty sure software DTMF decoders beat hardware ones these days.
Doing this would also mean we could use an almost unmodified pi with a
USB sound card ... maybe 2 components hidden in a PTT cable(?), maybe
one or two hidden in a COS cable but honestly anyone who has looked at
a 'scope of their radio's "audio out" can tell you COS should be easy
to do in software too.
And software DTMF decoders could analyse the tones and compensate for
twist, like the modem in Direwolf, which actually uses several software
modems in parallel to compensate for the varying audio response of
different radios, link setup (discriminator vs speaker audio, etc.  COS
is done in software these days by a number of packages, including
thelinkbox and SvxLink, if configured to do so, as is CTCSS.  And so is
pre/deemphasis.

Why have we not done this yet? It can't be just 'cos Dave has a garage
full of IRLP boards he needs to sell to pay for his retirement? ;-)

Any way I can help? I have almost 3 decades of Linux software
development experience, including plenty on raspberry pis.
You'd be reinventing the wheel, there's open source software that has
already implemented all of the above.  But when it comes to IRLP, those
are decisions for Dave. :)

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

Wes AE6ZM

So what would be the value/use of having ones own hardware in the IRLP world. Can one build their own hardware and get a node # from Dave C (IRLP)?
--
VY 73,
Wes

Nosey Nick VA3NNW

Wes AE6ZM wrote:
So what would be the value/use of having ones own hardware in the IRLP world.
ALMOST NO hardware, was the main point. Just a Pi, USB soundcard, and a PTT with PERHAPS 2 tiny components hidden in the cable?

Can one build their own hardware and get a node # from Dave C (IRLP)?
I am perhaps naively assuming that Dave would be OK accepting money for access to the IRLP service / PGP keyring WITHOUT selling hardware?

Nick

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209, IRLP #2410
use Std::Disclaimer; sig@noseynick.net
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

Rey R

Their website is back on line:

Sincerely,

Rey.
XE1DVI / W6DVI

On Saturday, August 7, 2021, 6:56:12 PM PDT, Nosey Nick VA3NNW <irlp@...> wrote:

Wes AE6ZM wrote:
> So what would be the value/use of having ones own hardware in the IRLP
> world.

ALMOST NO hardware, was the main point. Just a Pi, USB soundcard, and a
PTT with PERHAPS 2 tiny components hidden in the cable?

> Can one build their own hardware and get a node # from Dave C (IRLP)?

I am perhaps naively assuming that Dave would be OK accepting money for
access to the IRLP service / PGP keyring WITHOUT selling hardware?

Nick

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209, IRLP #2410
use Std::Disclaimer;    sig@...
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

Mitch

This is very curious.  After completely ignoring his former customers for months when their Micro equipment was down and they needed assistance.  Does he expect ever to rebuild his customer base?  I think not.  And this is after I raided my Micro-Node for the IRLP board to build my Pi node and restore my IRLP/Echo node.  I for one will not trust him in the future.

Mitch, w2msk