From: Kevin Halton
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io
Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2020 07:24:53 AM
Subject: [IRLP] Motorola cdm1250 install

> Anyone have valid configuration file for a cdm series radio? I have tried everything I can think of and found on line but cannot get node working.
>
> as soon as node comes on line I can see COS light up on vcon screen. I can key node radio with ht and can see ptt light up on vcon screen. COS never turns off.
>
> going crazy being in lock down due to the covid issues here
> so thought I would swap out to a new radio.
>
> thanks in advance

Kevin Halton

Sorry my bad! I thought the call sign was part of my email address, it obviously is not, my sincerest apologizes! My name clearly is posted in the “FROM” field, same with radio model is the subject field Motorola CDM1250.

So let’s start fresh.

Howdy I am Kevin KA1MXL node# 4634 and 4002. I am trying to configure a Motorola CDM1250 UHF radio on node #4634. I have it connected to a IRLP3.0 board on a RPI. When I key the HT the light on the CDM indicates it is receiving, the COS light on the IRLP board lights up. The COS lights on the IrlpVcon screen as well. The node will not respond to DTMF from the HT so I must use IrlpVcon to connect and disconnect. If I key up with the HT into this node I can see the activity going over the IRLP network ( I am monitoring with node 4002). If I keyup on 4002, the PTT light on the IRLP boards glows, but no audio is heard on the HT.

Hope this all makes some sort of sense?

Here is a snap shot of how the board is set up

First of all, you would probably get a lot more responses if you had a name, call sign, and node number.

Not sure that it is a configuration issue with your radio. Without giving any information about your radio, makes it difficult for anyone to help. What is the actual model number of the radio? Are you able to program the radio?

This could be as simple as changing the COR/COS jumper on the IRLP board. What are the LEDs on the IRLP board showing? You should be looking at the LEDs on the board rather than software that could be a completely different issue. What readings do you get on your COR line from the radio standby verses receive?

You really need to give some details of what you have and what is going on.

> Anyone have valid configuration file for a cdm series radio? I have tried everything I can think of and found on line but cannot get node working.
>
> as soon as node comes on line I can see COS light up on vcon screen. I can key node radio with ht and can see ptt light up on vcon screen. COS never turns off.
>
> going crazy being in lock down due to the covid issues here
> so thought I would swap out to a new radio.
>
> thanks in advance

Hello Kevin,

People shouldn't have to go searching for your information when it should be included in the message.

Any way, there is more to it than a CDM1250. It would be a number starting out as "AAM25KK . . .". It may not matter in this case, but it lets the reader know what frequency range and power level of radio you are working with.

This sounds different than what you said in the first message. Do you get an indication from the DTMF LED on the IRLP board? Have you run any of the diagnostics that are included in the node software? As repeater: troubleshoot-irlp  As root /home/irlp/bin/readinput  Those would be two valuable things to use.

> Sorry my bad! I thought the call sign was part of my email address, it obviously is not, my sincerest apologizes! My name clearly is posted in the “FROM” field, same with radio model is the subject field Motorola CDM1250.
>

> So let’s start fresh.
>

> Howdy I am Kevin KA1MXL node# 4634 and 4002. I am trying to configure a Motorola CDM1250 UHF radio on node #4634. I have it connected to a IRLP3.0 board on a RPI. When I key the HT the light on the CDM indicates it is receiving, the COS light on the IRLP board lights up. The COS lights on the IrlpVcon screen as well. The node will not respond to DTMF from the HT so I must use IrlpVcon to connect and disconnect. If I key up with the HT into this node I can see the activity going over the IRLP network ( I am monitoring with node 4002). If I keyup on 4002, the PTT light on the IRLP boards glows, but no audio is heard on the HT.
>

> Hope this all makes some sort of sense?
>

> Here is a snap shot of how the board is set up

Kevin Halton

Mick,

Radio is AAM25RHD9AA2AN UHF 40 watt model I believe.

I ran troubleshoot-irlp with no issues. I ran readinput , I get COS Active when I key and COS INACTIVE when I unkey, when I press any DTMF I get no lights on board, but I do DTMF plus the number I pressed on the computer screen while readinput is running and the IRLPVcon screen does  show the DTMF activity there as well.

Thanks

People shouldn't have to go searching for your information when it should be included in the message.

Any way, there is more to it than a CDM1250. It would be a number starting out as "AAM25KK . . .". It may not matter in this case, but it lets the reader know what frequency range and power level of radio you are working with.

This sounds different than what you said in the first message. Do you get an indication from the DTMF LED on the IRLP board? Have you run any of the diagnostics that are included in the node software? As repeater: troubleshoot-irlp  As root /home/irlp/bin/readinput  Those would be two valuable things to use.

> Sorry my bad! I thought the call sign was part of my email address, it obviously is not, my sincerest apologizes! My name clearly is posted in the “FROM” field, same with radio model is the subject field Motorola CDM1250.
>

> So let’s start fresh.
>

> Howdy I am Kevin KA1MXL node# 4634 and 4002. I am trying to configure a Motorola CDM1250 UHF radio on node #4634. I have it connected to a IRLP3.0 board on a RPI. When I key the HT the light on the CDM indicates it is receiving, the COS light on the IRLP board lights up. The COS lights on the IrlpVcon screen as well. The node will not respond to DTMF from the HT so I must use IrlpVcon to connect and disconnect. If I key up with the HT into this node I can see the activity going over the IRLP network ( I am monitoring with node 4002). If I keyup on 4002, the PTT light on the IRLP boards glows, but no audio is heard on the HT.
>

> Hope this all makes some sort of sense?
>

> Here is a snap shot of how the board is set up

Hello Kevin,

What are you using for a radio to test with?

I would make some adjustment to your audio level. You may not have enough, or maybe too much audio level. If the level isn't close the DTMF isn't going to work. If you aren't getting a DTMF indication on the IRLP board, none of the rest matters because you aren't getting what the tone decoder on the IRLP board wants.

Forget about the IRLPVcon for testing. You have the diagnostic tools you need in the IRLP software. They will tell you what you need to know. Once it is working with the IRLP diagnostics, it is going to work.

> Radio is AAM25RHD9AA2AN UHF 40 watt model I believe.
>

> I ran troubleshoot-irlp with no issues. I ran readinput , I get COS Active when I key and COS INACTIVE when I unkey, when I press any DTMF I get no lights on board, but I do DTMF plus the number I pressed on the computer screen while readinput is running and the IRLPVcon screen does show the DTMF activity there as well.
>

> Thanks

Kevin Halton

Mick,

I am actually using 3 different radios, I was also thinking it might be related to HT. I am using Yaesu FT70D, Ailunce HD1, and Anytone 868. All 3 give me the same results. Let me know what you want me to do.

What are you using for a radio to test with?

I would make some adjustment to your audio level. You may not have enough, or maybe too much audio level. If the level isn't close the DTMF isn't going to work. If you aren't getting a DTMF indication on the IRLP board, none of the rest matters because you aren't getting what the tone decoder on the IRLP board wants.

Forget about the IRLPVcon for testing. You have the diagnostic tools you need in the IRLP software. They will tell you what you need to know. Once it is working with the IRLP diagnostics, it is going to work.

> Radio is AAM25RHD9AA2AN UHF 40 watt model I believe.
>

> I ran troubleshoot-irlp with no issues. I ran readinput , I get COS Active when I key and COS INACTIVE when I unkey, when I press any DTMF I get no lights on board, but I do DTMF plus the number I pressed on the computer screen while readinput is running and the IRLPVcon screen does show the DTMF activity there as well.
>

> Thanks

Hello Kevin,

Some people have had trouble with the Chinese radios, wanted to make sure you weren't one of those. Otherwise, I would make some changes to your audio level going to the IRLP board. I think that is where your problem is.

> I am actually using 3 different radios, I was also thinking it might be related to HT. I am using Yaesu FT70D, Ailunce HD1, and Anytone 868. All 3 give me the same results. Let me know what you want me to do.

Sounds like the COS and DTMF are working, but the LED may not be.

If you are seeing the COS ACTIVE, the DTMF, and COS INACTIVE on the readinput program, the node will work.

What happens when you key up on one of the portables and enter 9990? What exactly is shown on readinput?

From: Kevin Halton <Khalton@...>
Date: 4/12/20 11:59 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io

Mick,

I am actually using 3 different radios, I was also thinking it might be related to HT. I am using Yaesu FT70D, Ailunce HD1, and Anytone 868. All 3 give me the same results. Let me know what you want me to do.

What are you using for a radio to test with?

I would make some adjustment to your audio level. You may not have enough, or maybe too much audio level. If the level isn't close the DTMF isn't going to work. If you aren't getting a DTMF indication on the IRLP board, none of the rest matters because you aren't getting what the tone decoder on the IRLP board wants.

Forget about the IRLPVcon for testing. You have the diagnostic tools you need in the IRLP software. They will tell you what you need to know. Once it is working with the IRLP diagnostics, it is going to work.

> Radio is AAM25RHD9AA2AN UHF 40 watt model I believe.
>

> I ran troubleshoot-irlp with no issues. I ran readinput , I get COS Active when I key and COS INACTIVE when I unkey, when I press any DTMF I get no lights on board, but I do DTMF plus the number I pressed on the computer screen while readinput is running and the IRLPVcon screen does show the DTMF activity there as well.
>

> Thanks

Kevin Halton

Bingo! Thanks to both of you for pointing me in the right direction. Looks like to DTMF LED does not work, When I started playing with the 2nd radio I thought I heard something very faint coming from radio, sure enough. I had to mess in CPS to get transmit volume to an acceptable level. It is MUCH better now I just need to figure out why it sounds muffled.

THANKS to Mick and Dave!

From: Kevin Halton <Khalton@...>

Date: 4/12/20 11:59 AM (GMT-08:00)

Mick,

I am actually using 3 different radios, I was also thinking it might be related to HT. I am using Yaesu FT70D, Ailunce HD1, and Anytone 868. All 3 give me the same results. Let me know what you want me to do.

What are you using for a radio to test with?

I would make some adjustment to your audio level. You may not have enough, or maybe too much audio level. If the level isn't close the DTMF isn't going to work. If you aren't getting a DTMF indication on the IRLP board, none of the rest matters because you aren't getting what the tone decoder on the IRLP board wants.

Forget about the IRLPVcon for testing. You have the diagnostic tools you need in the IRLP software. They will tell you what you need to know. Once it is working with the IRLP diagnostics, it is going to work.

> Radio is AAM25RHD9AA2AN UHF 40 watt model I believe.
>

> I ran troubleshoot-irlp with no issues. I ran readinput , I get COS Active when I key and COS INACTIVE when I unkey, when I press any DTMF I get no lights on board, but I do DTMF plus the number I pressed on the computer screen while readinput is running and the IRLPVcon screen does show the DTMF activity there as well.
>

> Thanks

Muffled audio usually means you have the input on the radio set to FLAT. Change it to DEMPH, and it will sound great.

-k9dc

On Apr 12, 2020, at 16:08, Kevin Halton <KA1MXL@...> wrote:

Bingo! Thanks to both of you for pointing me in the right direction. Looks like to DTMF LED does not work, When I started playing with the 2nd radio I thought I heard something very faint coming from radio, sure enough. I had to mess in CPS to get transmit volume to an acceptable level. It is MUCH better now I just need to figure out why it sounds muffled.

THANKS to Mick and Dave!

Kevin Halton

That did it, thanks again guys!

Muffled audio usually means you have the input on the radio set to FLAT.
Change it to DEMPH, and it will sound great.

-k9dc

On Apr 12, 2020, at 16:08, Kevin Halton <KA1MXL@...> wrote:

Bingo! Thanks to both of you for pointing me in the right direction. Looks
like to DTMF LED does not work, When I started playing with the 2nd radio I
thought I heard something very faint coming from radio, sure enough. I had
to mess in CPS to get transmit volume to an acceptable level. It is MUCH
better now I just need to figure out why it sounds muffled.

THANKS to Mick and Dave!

Having that set wrong would most likely mess up your DTMF tones also.

> Muffled audio usually means you have the input on the radio set to FLAT.
> Change it to DEMPH, and it will sound great.
>
> -k9dc
>
> > On Apr 12, 2020, at 16:08, Kevin Halton wrote:
> >
> > Bingo! Thanks to both of you for pointing me in the right direction. Looks
> like to DTMF LED does not work, When I started playing with the 2nd radio I
> thought I heard something very faint coming from radio, sure enough. I had
> to mess in CPS to get transmit volume to an acceptable level. It is MUCH
> better now I just need to figure out why it sounds muffled.
> >
> > THANKS to Mick and Dave!

Actually not.  It is a transmit audio effect. DTMF is not in that path.
-k9dc

On Apr 12, 2020, at 18:06, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) <tarra@...> wrote:

Having that set wrong would most likely mess up your DTMF tones also.

> Muffled audio usually means you have the input on the radio set to FLAT.
> Change it to DEMPH, and it will sound great.
>
> -k9dc
>
> > On Apr 12, 2020, at 16:08, Kevin Halton wrote:
> >
> > Bingo! Thanks to both of you for pointing me in the right direction. Looks
> like to DTMF LED does not work, When I started playing with the 2nd radio I
> thought I heard something very faint coming from radio, sure enough. I had
> to mess in CPS to get transmit volume to an acceptable level. It is MUCH
> better now I just need to figure out why it sounds muffled.
> >
> > THANKS to Mick and Dave!

I was thinking the wrong direction. Not the first time I've done something backwards.