Topics

Network disconnected script?

Kevin B

I had an idea that I have no idea how so wanted to see if maybe there is something out there. Is there a way to speak something or even beep every say minute or so whenever your node isn't connected to the internet? Maybe some kind of ping script? My internet isn't the most reliable and would be cool if the node would say something or even beep when it's down so I would know.

Kevin
Node 1485

HI Kevin,

This is pretty simple, I have script that monitors a lot of things on your node called "Watch Dog" it's pretty robust and has a PING function that will do exactly what you're looking for... If your node disconnects from the internet you can have it broadcast a voice or tone via your Repeater/IRLP or Simplex node telling you there is a problem.

If you're only interested in the PING function we can scale it down to fit you personal needs.

My phone number , email and web site is listed below.

** Dave Parks **
IRLP Node: 8139
1-734-219-2010
Correspondent Amateur Radio Newsline

On Saturday, April 25, 2020, 8:30:47 PM EDT, Kevin B <buchholz676@...> wrote:

I had an idea that I have no idea how so wanted to see if maybe there is something out there. Is there a way to speak something or even beep every say minute or so whenever your node isn't connected to the internet? Maybe some kind of ping script? My internet isn't the most reliable and would be cool if the node would say something or even beep when it's down so I would know.

Kevin
Node 1485

Kevin B

Hey,
Awesome I'll check that out. I'll be in touch if I have any questions.
Thanks

Kevin
VE6KEZ

On Sat., Apr. 25, 2020, 18:48 Dave Parks - WB8ODF via groups.io, <wb8odf=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Just wanted to update that Dave WB8ODF and I emailed back and forth and he was nice enough to take the time to write a script for me to make this happen. It works great! I run a couple of his scripts and they are all great and very nice directions.

Thanks again Dave!

Kevin
VE6KEZ

You are most welcome Kevin, glad I could help.

Via email we boiled it all down to Kevin's node kept dropping Openvpn and either Kevin had to reboot or restart Openvpn

/usr/sbin/service openvpn restart.

Our fix was to run a ping check every X minutes or hours (adjustable) and take a snapshot of each of the 3 pings, If the total of the snapshots = 1 or 2 we know there is some latency and need to take a look at the network but if the total = 3 then automatically restart Openvpn.

I will be putting this script up on my website, it will be called Openvpnreset.

If you're interested... It's easy to download and setup

as user repeater type;

cd $CUSTOM
chmod 750 openvpnreset.wb8odf

Then edit the script, all the details are inside, if ya need help just holler

I'm locked down.... HELP!!!!

On Sunday, April 26, 2020, 7:56:35 PM EDT, Kevin B <buchholz676@...> wrote:

Just wanted to update that Dave WB8ODF and I emailed back and forth and he was nice enough to take the time to write a script for me to make this happen. It works great! I run a couple of his scripts and they are all great and very nice directions.

Thanks again Dave!

Kevin
VE6KEZ

k9dc

There are two private IP addresses good for this test. 192.168.168.1 or 172.23.168.1. They will only work if the VPN is up. Any other public IP may work fine if the VPN is up or not. Same IPs on both Chicago and Sydney.

-k9dc

wget http://wb8odf.com/scripts/openfpnreset.wb8odf

http://wb8odf.com
IRLP Node: 8139
1-734-219-2010
Correspondent Amateur Radio Newsline

On Sunday, April 26, 2020, 7:56:35 PM EDT, Kevin B <buchholz676@...> wrote:

Just wanted to update that Dave WB8ODF and I emailed back and forth and he was nice enough to take the time to write a script for me to make this happen. It works great! I run a couple of his scripts and they are all great and very nice directions.

Thanks again Dave!

Kevin
VE6KEZ

Thanks Dave, I know Kevin will read this, the PING IP is a variable you can set in the script. I'll make one of them the DEFAULT in version #2 which I'm working tonight and I'll upload it.