Topics

New install

William Phillips

Hello
I purchased a modified irlp board for a Raspberry pi3. I have it set up except I am having trouble when I perform readinput the dtmf tones are incorrect. When i run audio_level_test it responds with 0 clipped 0 percent fail. I tried adjusting the alsamixer no change. The audiotest command does work correctly keys radio and is adjustable with alsamixer. I am using a motorola radio gm300 . I have tried another radio and confirmed i have audio out squelched and de-emphasized.

Thank you
Billy

k9dc

What is your call sign and node number please?

-k9dc

On Dec 20, 2019, at 07:43, bphillips.nnh@... wrote:

Hello
I purchased a modified irlp board for a Raspberry pi3. I have it set up except I am having trouble when I perform readinput the dtmf tones are incorrect. When i run audio_level_test it responds with 0 clipped 0 percent fail. I tried adjusting the alsamixer no change. The audiotest command does work correctly keys radio and is adjustable with alsamixer. I am using a motorola radio gm300 . I have tried another radio and confirmed i have audio out squelched and de-emphasized.

Thank you
Billy

William Phillips

KM6FJZ
Stn 3357

On Dec 20, 2019, at 5:47 AM, k9dc <Dave@...> wrote:

What is your call sign and node number please?

-k9dc

On Dec 20, 2019, at 07:43, bphillips.nnh@... wrote:

Hello
I purchased a modified irlp board for a Raspberry pi3. I have it set up except I am having trouble when I perform readinput the dtmf tones are incorrect. When i run audio_level_test it responds with 0 clipped 0 percent fail. I tried adjusting the alsamixer no change. The audiotest command does work correctly keys radio and is adjustable with alsamixer. I am using a motorola radio gm300 . I have tried another radio and confirmed i have audio out squelched and de-emphasized.

Thank you
Billy

k9dc

Did you also acquire or make up the custom ribbon cable between the Pi GPIO port and the board? Usually incorrect digits are due to wiring errors on that cable.

-k9dc

On Dec 20, 2019, at 09:28, William Phillips <bphillips.nnh@...> wrote:

KM6FJZ
Stn 3357

On Dec 20, 2019, at 5:47 AM, k9dc <Dave@...> wrote:

What is your call sign and node number please?

-k9dc

On Dec 20, 2019, at 07:43, bphillips.nnh@... wrote:

Hello
I purchased a modified irlp board for a Raspberry pi3. I have it set up except I am having trouble when I perform readinput the dtmf tones are incorrect. When i run audio_level_test it responds with 0 clipped 0 percent fail. I tried adjusting the alsamixer no change. The audiotest command does work correctly keys radio and is adjustable with alsamixer. I am using a motorola radio gm300 . I have tried another radio and confirmed i have audio out squelched and de-emphasized.

Thank you
Billy

What are your connections on the GM300?

--

William Phillips

I acquired that as well with the irlp board could that also cause no audio?

On Dec 20, 2019, at 8:01 AM, k9dc <Dave@...> wrote:

[...]

David Cameron - IRLP

What DTMF codes are you seeing when you press the buttons? A table like this would help:

Pressed : Seen
1:1
2:0
3:1
4:4
5:4
6:5
7:5
8:8

Possible that you have a broken wire on the GPIO.

Your audio problem is likely mixer related. alsamixer is the program you use to set the levels. I assume you are using a USB based sound card, so the sliders shown should be pretty obvious.

Dave Cameron

On 20/12/2019 11:41 a.m., William Phillips wrote:
[...]

1:nothing
2:3 when released 1
3:3 when released 1
4:5 when released 1
5:5 when released 1
6:7 when released 1
7:7 when released 1
8:9 when released 1
9:9 when released 1

I ohm tested the GPIO cable looks good It follows the picture on the irlp website. I have pin 11 on gm300 attached to pin 8 on irlp cable i also ohm tested the cable as well from radio to board. I have played with the mixer moved the sliders all the way up tested no audio as well as in the middle no audio. It does work correctly on audio out I can turn it up and down and it changes the transmit audio.

Thank you

On Dec 20, 2019, at 2:10 PM, David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...> wrote:

[...]

bruce clements

Just a quick one.
When you try to enter dtmf, what is the indications of the leds.
Bruce Ve3bv

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® E

I ohm tested the GPIO cable looks good It follows the picture on the irlp website. I have pin 11 on gm300 attached to pin 8 on irlp cable i also ohm tested the cable as well from radio to board. I have played with the mixer moved the sliders all the way up tested no audio as well as in the middle no audio. It does work correctly on audio out I can turn it up and down and it changes the transmit audio.

Thank you

> On Dec 20, 2019, at 2:10 PM, David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...> wrote:
>
> What DTMF codes are you seeing when you press the buttons? A table like this would help:
>
> Pressed : Seen
> 1:1
> 2:0
> 3:1
> 4:4
> 5:4
> 6:5
> 7:5
> 8:8
>
> Possible that you have a broken wire on the GPIO.
>
> Your audio problem is likely mixer related. alsamixer is the program you use to set the levels. I assume you are using a USB based sound card, so the sliders shown should be pretty obvious.
>
> Dave Cameron
>
> On 20/12/2019 11:41 a.m., William Phillips wrote:
>> I acquired that as well with the irlp board could that also cause no audio?
>>> On Dec 20, 2019, at 8:01 AM, k9dc <Dave@...> wrote:
>>>

>>> Did you also acquire or make up the custom ribbon cable between the Pi GPIO port and the board?  Usually incorrect digits are due to wiring errors on that cable.
>>>
>>> -k9dc

William Phillips

The COS lights up green and the DTMF lights up orange.

On Dec 21, 2019, at 3:34 AM, bruce clements <ve3bv.ca@...> wrote:

Just a quick one.
When you try to enter dtmf, what is the indications of the leds.
Bruce Ve3bv

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® E

I ohm tested the GPIO cable looks good It follows the picture on the irlp website. I have pin 11 on gm300 attached to pin 8 on irlp cable i also ohm tested the cable as well from radio to board. I have played with the mixer moved the sliders all the way up tested no audio as well as in the middle no audio. It does work correctly on audio out I can turn it up and down and it changes the transmit audio.

Thank you

> On Dec 20, 2019, at 2:10 PM, David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...> wrote:
>
> What DTMF codes are you seeing when you press the buttons? A table like this would help:
>
> Pressed : Seen
> 1:1
> 2:0
> 3:1
> 4:4
> 5:4
> 6:5
> 7:5
> 8:8
>
> Possible that you have a broken wire on the GPIO.
>
> Your audio problem is likely mixer related. alsamixer is the program you use to set the levels. I assume you are using a USB based sound card, so the sliders shown should be pretty obvious.
>
> Dave Cameron
>
> On 20/12/2019 11:41 a.m., William Phillips wrote:
>> I acquired that as well with the irlp board could that also cause no audio?
>>> On Dec 20, 2019, at 8:01 AM, k9dc <Dave@...> wrote:
>>>

>>> Did you also acquire or make up the custom ribbon cable between the Pi GPIO port and the board?  Usually incorrect digits are due to wiring errors on that cable.
>>>
>>> -k9dc

bruce clements

Ok
That eliminated the radio interface side of things.
Bruce Ve3bv

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® E

I ohm tested the GPIO cable looks good It follows the picture on the irlp website. I have pin 11 on gm300 attached to pin 8 on irlp cable i also ohm tested the cable as well from radio to board. I have played with the mixer moved the sliders all the way up tested no audio as well as in the middle no audio. It does work correctly on audio out I can turn it up and down and it changes the transmit audio.

Thank you

> On Dec 20, 2019, at 2:10 PM, David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...> wrote:
>
> What DTMF codes are you seeing when you press the buttons? A table like this would help:
>
> Pressed : Seen
> 1:1
> 2:0
> 3:1
> 4:4
> 5:4
> 6:5
> 7:5
> 8:8
>
> Possible that you have a broken wire on the GPIO.
>
> Your audio problem is likely mixer related. alsamixer is the program you use to set the levels. I assume you are using a USB based sound card, so the sliders shown should be pretty obvious.
>
> Dave Cameron
>
> On 20/12/2019 11:41 a.m., William Phillips wrote:
>> I acquired that as well with the irlp board could that also cause no audio?
>>> On Dec 20, 2019, at 8:01 AM, k9dc <Dave@...> wrote:
>>>

>>> Did you also acquire or make up the custom ribbon cable between the Pi GPIO port and the board?  Usually incorrect digits are due to wiring errors on that cable.
>>>
>>> -k9dc

Nosey Nick VA3NNW

William Phillips wrote:
Pressed : Seen
1:nothing
2:3 when released 1
3:3 when released 1
4:5 when released 1
5:5 when released 1
6:7 when released 1
7:7 when released 1
8:9 when released 1
9:9 when released 1
Sounds a lot like DTMF 1 is stuck "high", and adding 1 to otherwise-even
numbers.

Check (I think) D0 / GPIO 4 / Pin 15 for possible shorts?

Nick

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer; sig@...

William Phillips

Would the audio be a separate issue? Could this be a software issue should I try reinstalling?

On Dec 21, 2019, at 11:28 AM, Nosey Nick VA3NNW <irlp@...> wrote:

William Phillips wrote:
Pressed : Seen
1:nothing
2:3 when released 1
3:3 when released 1
4:5 when released 1
5:5 when released 1
6:7 when released 1
7:7 when released 1
8:9 when released 1
9:9 when released 1
Sounds a lot like DTMF 1 is stuck "high", and adding 1 to otherwise-even
numbers.

Check (I think) D0 / GPIO 4 / Pin 15 for possible shorts?

Nick

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer; sig@...
I checked the Internet to see how long a possum can hold its breath.

Darin Lehnert

Hi William,
Is this a 8 channel 16 channel Motorola ? If it is a 16 channel you need to program
pin 8 on the Motorola to  Select PL/DPL & CSQ Detect and active low
You also need to make sure your active low on the IRLP board
and I always use a 10k resistor on the pink side of the sound fob.

Good Luck !!

Darin
kc7tig

On Sat, Dec 21, 2019 at 12:44 PM William Phillips <bphillips.nnh@...> wrote:
Would the audio be a separate issue? Could this be a software issue should I try reinstalling?
> On Dec 21, 2019, at 11:28 AM, Nosey Nick VA3NNW <irlp@...> wrote:
>
> William Phillips wrote:
>> Pressed : Seen
>> 1:nothing
>> 2:3 when released 1
>> 3:3 when released 1
>> 4:5 when released 1
>> 5:5 when released 1
>> 6:7 when released 1
>> 7:7 when released 1
>> 8:9 when released 1
>> 9:9 when released 1
>
> Sounds a lot like DTMF 1 is stuck "high", and adding 1 to otherwise-even
> numbers.
>
> Check (I think) D0 / GPIO 4 / Pin 15 for possible shorts?
>
> Nick
>
> --
> "Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
> use Std::Disclaimer;    sig@...
> I checked the Internet to see how long a possum can hold its breath.

I would like to know exactly what connections you are using on the radio and on the IRLP board and what is connected to what. It shouldn't be complicated.

Keep in mind it doesn't matter what is connected to pin 8 if there isn't a shorting plug in the microphone connector.

> Is this a 8 channel 16 channel Motorola ? If it is a 16 channel you need to
> program
> pin 8 on the Motorola to Select PL/DPL & CSQ Detect and active low
> You also need to make sure your active low on the IRLP board
> and I always use a 10k resistor on the pink side of the sound fob.
>
> Good Luck !!
>
> Darin
> kc7tig
>
> On Sat, Dec 21, 2019 at 12:44 PM William Phillips
> wrote:
>
> > Would the audio be a separate issue? Could this be a software issue should
> > I try reinstalling?
> > > On Dec 21, 2019, at 11:28 AM, Nosey Nick VA3NNW
> > wrote:

> > > Sounds a lot like DTMF 1 is stuck "high", and adding 1 to otherwise-even
> > > numbers.
> > >
> > > Check (I think) D0 / GPIO 4 / Pin 15 for possible shorts?
> > >
> > > Nick
> > >
> > > --
> > > "Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
> > > use Std::Disclaimer; sig@...
> > > I checked the Internet to see how long a possum can hold its breath.

--

William Phillips

The radio connections are as follows

Radio      Irlp board
Pin 2         9
Pin 3.        2
Pin 7.         6
Pin 8.         7
Pin 11.        8

I have a 10uf capacitor on pin 9 irlp to pin 2 radio. I have radio programmed for cos pin 8 active low and the board matches. I tried another radio I have same issue. I also confirmed this radio works with signalink on an EchoLink I had set up. I have a mike connected with the hangup plate attached.

On Dec 21, 2019, at 6:11 PM, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) <tarra@...> wrote:

I would like to know exactly what connections you are using on the radio and on the IRLP board and what is connected to what. It shouldn't be complicated.

Keep in mind it doesn't matter what is connected to pin 8 if there isn't a shorting plug in the microphone connector.

> Is this a 8 channel 16 channel Motorola ? If it is a 16 channel you need to
> program
> pin 8 on the Motorola to Select PL/DPL & CSQ Detect and active low
> You also need to make sure your active low on the IRLP board
> and I always use a 10k resistor on the pink side of the sound fob.
>
> Good Luck !!
>
> Darin
> kc7tig
>
> On Sat, Dec 21, 2019 at 12:44 PM William Phillips
> wrote:
>
> > Would the audio be a separate issue? Could this be a software issue should
> > I try reinstalling?
> > > On Dec 21, 2019, at 11:28 AM, Nosey Nick VA3NNW
> > wrote:

> > > Sounds a lot like DTMF 1 is stuck "high", and adding 1 to otherwise-even
> > > numbers.
> > >
> > > Check (I think) D0 / GPIO 4 / Pin 15 for possible shorts?
> > >
> > > Nick
> > >
> > > --
> > > "Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
> > > use Std::Disclaimer; sig@...
> > > I checked the Internet to see how long a possum can hold its breath.

--

John

William
a silly question perhaps,
but if the mic needs to be attached to a 'hangup plate' is said plate earthed to radio chassis?

John @ 6163

From: Darin Lehnert To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io Sent: Saturday, December 21, 2019 02:11:59 PM Subject: Re: [IRLP] New install
Hi William, Is this a 8 channel 16

William Phillips

yes

On Dec 21, 2019, at 8:27 PM, John <gielisj@...> wrote:

[...]

----- Original Message ----- > From: Darin Lehnert > To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io > Sent: Saturday, December 21, 2019 02:11:59 PM > Subject: Re: [IRLP] New install > > > Hi William, > > Is this a 8 channel 16

I don't see any issue with the wiring.

> I have a 10uf capacitor on pin 9 irlp to pin 2 radio. I have radio programmed for cos pin 8 active low and the board matches. I tried another radio I have same issue. I also confirmed this radio works with signalink on an EchoLink I had set up. I have a mike connected with the hangup plate attached.
> > On Dec 21, 2019, at 6:11 PM, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) wrote:
> >
> > I would like to know exactly what connections you are using on the radio and on the IRLP board and what is connected to what. It shouldn't be complicated.
> >
> > Keep in mind it doesn't matter what is connected to pin 8 if there isn't a shorting plug in the microphone connector.
> >
> > Mick - W7CAT
> > Node 3464

There doesn't need to be, all that is being done is the "on hook" of the microphone is being grounded through the microphone cable. I have taken several microphones and jumpered a wire internally to take care of it. A shorting plug is just connecting pins 3 & 4 of the microphone connector.