news line ref 0016

Randy N9NWA

I just attempted to play the latest newsline, It played last weeks file.
When does this get updated.
Our local net is at 9 pm ct.

Randy N9NWA
W9DUP repeater node 5370
73

Sent from Xfinity Connect Application

Gary - AG0N

On Nov 29, 2020, at 21:20, Randy N9NWA <rbzabel@comcast.net> wrote:

I just attempted to play the latest newsline, It played last weeks file.
When does this get updated.
Our local net is at 9 pm ct.
That is not a function of IRLP, just a service that he provides. There have been several times in the past when this sort of thing happened. Once, ARRL changed filename formats and we went for months without having newsline. You need to drop the streamer a line and let him know there is a problem. Be nice, this service is free. ;)

There are other ways to do the ARRL news, but this is also the way I do it.

As for when it is updated, I believe (it’s been a long time) the new one comes out Friday morning. Yes, I could be wrong. Like I said, it has been a long time since I chased this problem.

73, Gary - AG0N
Stay Safe All

Rick NK7I

There are other scripts that work well to download the files from the production source ( http://wb8odf.com/scripts.cgi ).

I have been using them for quite a while for both ARRL Audio News and Amateur Radio Newsline.  The install and scripts are straight forward, not many things requiring a tweak (like dropout duration to reset repeater/node timers as required).  (WB8ODF is also one of the frequent ARRL AN audio contributors, so if the URL changes, he'd know about it.)

Essentially, a pair of scripts download the MP3 file(s) and store them, rotating the last one into a backup (then gone the next rotation).  Another script plays the file(s), either one at a time; or in series (LONG transmission) with momentary dropouts to reset timers.  Then the user creates the commands to play on demand (custom_decode) plus a cron job to automate the downloading of audio files.

I found that I get the best results downloading new audio files on Friday at noon (Pac Time, 1500 in the east) because sometimes, they miss the posted 'deadline' for release.  Adjust to your local time zone as needed.

DO NOTE that the actual program to play the audio, has changed with the latest versions of Debian, so you may have to edit the script a bit more.  (um, aplay in place of play?  It's been some months since I poked at it, because it's working.)

I did change the file storage location to be consistent with other audio files my node either creates or downloads (like weather forecast, current weather conditions, alerts; local airport weather and more).

It's also clear that the reporting teams are restricted in the production end, due to COVID requirements, so the format may vary some.  As such, there may be droll humor, in others a straight monotonal announcer merely reading the script with no excitement or pitch change... (zzzz).  Until that's over, your mileage may blah blah, hi.

73,
Rick NK7I
7962
Far N ID

On 11/29/2020 9:21 PM, Gary - AG0N wrote:

On Nov 29, 2020, at 21:20, Randy N9NWA <rbzabel@...> wrote:

I just attempted to play the latest newsline, It played last weeks file.
When does this get updated.
Our local net is at 9 pm ct.
That is not a function of IRLP, just a service that he provides.  There have been several times in the past when this sort of thing happened.  Once, ARRL changed filename formats and we went for months without having newsline.  You need to drop the streamer a line and let him know there is a problem.  Be nice, this service is free.  ;)

There are other ways to do the ARRL news, but this is also the way I do it.

As for when it is updated, I believe (it’s been a long time) the new one comes out Friday morning.  Yes, I could be wrong.  Like I said, it has been a long time since I chased this problem.

73, Gary - AG0N
Stay Safe All

Randy N9NWA

Thanks Gary
There is not any contact information for this reflector 0016 0n the reflector page, that's why I was asking here.

Randy N9nwa/node 5370-w9dup

Gary - AG0N

On Nov 30, 2020, at 11:36, Randy N9NWA <rbzabel@comcast.net> wrote:

There is not any contact information for this reflector 0016 0n the reflector page, that's why I was asking here.
Try Skip, WB6YMH. Skip is the person who set it up years ago and kept it running. He has told me in the past that he no longer monitors it (uses it) so he doesn’t know when it is working and when it isn’t. My last communication with him did receive a response and the problem was fixed, but that was a few years ago.

Gary - AG0N

HI all.... The issue has been taken care of.... Skips 0016 tried to download Friday's ( 11/27/2020) news.mp3 file from my server wget http://wb8odf.com/scripts/news.mp3 and for some reason (I can't explain) the 11/20 file remained within 3 attempts. I manually removed the OLD news.mp3 file from my server and manually reran my wgetarn script and it worked, all is well and good in the ARNewsline world.

--
** Dave Parks **
1-734-219-2010