openvpn installation

Klaus Rung

How to install the openvpn client on a slackware ver 10.2.0

Node 7673
Klaus
ve3kr

Dave K9DC

Short answer: not possible

Slackware 10 went out of support roughly 10 years ago, long before OpenVPN was a thing. You will need to upgrade to a newer version, which will likely require upgrading the hardware.

-k9dc

On Jan 27, 2021, at 10:51, Klaus Rung via groups.io <k_rung=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

How to install the openvpn client on a slackware ver 10.2.0

Node 7673
Klaus
ve3kr

Dave K9DC

OpenVPN was actually coming onto the scene in the same timeframe Slackware 10 was fading away. But the short answer still stands, same as CentOS 4, and the early Redhat/Fedora versions.

-k9dc

On Jan 27, 2021, at 11:22, Dave K9DC via groups.io <Dave=dcg.us@groups.io> wrote:

Short answer: not possible

Slackware 10 went out of support roughly 10 years ago, long before OpenVPN was a thing. You will need to upgrade to a newer version, which will likely require upgrading the hardware.

-k9dc

On Jan 27, 2021, at 10:51, Klaus Rung via groups.io <k_rung=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

How to install the openvpn client on a slackware ver 10.2.0

Node 7673
Klaus
ve3kr

Klaus Rung

Too bad as the node is working fine otherwise but the internet provider is making noises about doing carrier grade nat I think they call it where there is no way to find the pc remotely. A lot of the Caribbean is starting to switch to this and it is making the use of the vpn service necessary in some nodes already. I guess an upgrade of the operating system and at least the disk is necessary. It is one of DC embedded nodes in a rack mount I believe.

Klaus
ve3kr

On Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 11:35:59 a.m. EST, Dave K9DC via groups.io <dave@...> wrote:

OpenVPN was actually coming onto the scene in the same timeframe Slackware 10 was fading away. But the short answer still stands, same as CentOS 4, and the early Redhat/Fedora versions.

-k9dc

> On Jan 27, 2021, at 11:22, Dave K9DC via groups.io <Dave=dcg.us@groups.io> wrote:
>

> Short answer: not possible
>
> Slackware 10 went out of support roughly 10 years ago, long before OpenVPN was a thing. You will need to upgrade to a newer version, which will likely require upgrading the hardware.
>
> -k9dc
>
>> On Jan 27, 2021, at 10:51, Klaus Rung via groups.io <k_rung=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>>
>> How to install the openvpn client on a slackware ver 10.2.0
>>
>> Node 7673
>> Klaus
>> ve3kr

David Cameron - IRLP

Klaus, this node will need a software upgrade. If it is an older Embedded node, I sell upgrade IDE drives to bring these up to the latest Debian version, and can include the VPN software.

You do have to modify the power connector from the old IDE flash drive. I have a video that shows how to do it.

This was offered a while back, and they sold out quick. I am going to order another batch of drives, as I have had a bunch of inquiries.

Dave Cameron

On 2021-01-27 7:51 a.m., Klaus Rung via groups.io wrote:
How to install the openvpn client on a slackware ver 10.2.0
Node 7673
Klaus
ve3kr

Klaus Rung

Ok thanks Dave for that solution, we will see what the guys in Jamaica want to do about the situation. Upgrade it or move it to a routable connection?

Klaus