pirlp sd card backup #piirlp


Jack WS5D
 

Following the instructions on the irlp wiki to make an sd card backup, the result was a fail to boot.  The only thing different thing I did was to use a 32 gb micro sd card instead of the 16 gb micro sd card in the pirlp node. Would that have caused it to fail to boot? Should I have formatted the sd card for 16 gb? Kinda needing a little advice here. Thanks in advance.


Dave K9DC
 

If you are copying from another known to work SD, formatting it (or not) doesn’t matter. It is bit for bit copy of the original media. It should work fine if the destination disk is at least as large as the original. I just used the Unix ‘dd’ command on a Macintosh. I don’t know how to do it on Windows, never tried.


Dave K9DC

On May 27, 2021, at 14:58, Jack WS5D via groups.io <jwbfre=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Following the instructions on the irlp wiki to make an sd card backup, the result was a fail to boot. The only thing different thing I did was to use a 32 gb micro sd card instead of the 16 gb micro sd card in the pirlp node. Would that have caused it to fail to boot? Should I have formatted the sd card for 16 gb? Kinda needing a little advice here. Thanks in advance.


Ken Arck
 

2 programs:

To format SD card

https://sd-card-formatter.en.uptodown.com/windows

(do NOT use Windows' format feature)

To read:

https://win32diskimager.org/

And while some may use Win32DiskImager to write image to SD card, I much prefer Etcher


https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Ken



At 01:46 PM 5/27/2021, you wrote:

If you are copying from another known to work SD, formatting it (or not) doesn’t matter. It is bit for bit copy of the original media. It should work fine if the destination disk is at least as large as the original. I just used the Unix ‘dd’ command on a Macintosh. I don’t know how to do it on Windows, never tried.


Dave K9DC

On May 27, 2021, at 14:58, Jack WS5D via
groups.io <jwbfre=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Following the instructions on the irlp wiki
to make an sd card backup, the result was a fail to boot. The only thing different thing I did was to use a 32 gb micro sd card instead of the 16 gb micro sd card in the pirlp node. Would that have caused it to fail to boot? Should I have formatted the sd card for 16 gb? Kinda needing a little advice here. Thanks in advance.







------------------------------------------------------------------------------
President and CTO - Arcom Controllers
Makers of repeater controllers and accessories.
https://www.arcomcontrollers.com/
Authorized Dealers for Kenwood and Telewave.
We offer complete turn-key repeater packages!
AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
http://www.irlp.net
"We don't just make 'em. We use 'em!"
[]


Jack WS5D
 

Would the pirlp accept a usb adaptor for the micro sd card and allow me to make the copy directly from the operating sd card? Or does the operating system not accept usb adaptors?  If it's possible, what would be the proper commands to enter?
Thanks again. 


David Cameron - IRLP
 

You need to image the card OFFLINE. It can not be active. So you either need another Pi or a Windows computer and the software described in order to do it.

This is not an IRLP specific process. There are a lot of tutorials online to accomplish this. Everyone has their favourite way to do it. For example, I use the "dd" command on another linux computer to read the image, and then use the pishrink program to make the image tiny.

I also use a USB 3.0 reader/writer which speeds things up tremendously.

Dave Cameron
VE7LTD

On 2021-05-27 2:53 p.m., Jack WS5D via groups.io wrote:
Would the pirlp accept a usb adaptor for the micro sd card and allow me to make the copy directly from the operating sd card? Or does the operating system not accept usb adaptors?  If it's possible, what would be the proper commands to enter?
Thanks again.


Jack WS5D
 

Well, it turned out to be a poorly fitting socket, probably due to variations in the cards by different manufacturers. The copy works just fine with a little jiggling to make sure it's making good contact. First time I have ever encountered it on an ad card. Problem solved. Thanks for the help.