Topics

power supply issuses with PIIRLP

Milt Duquette

Has any one been having issues with the power supply that came with the PIIRLP node?
Causing spurrius noises.
PS output is 5.1 volts, 2500ma.

Thanks

Milt Duquette

1 (403) 928-1000 (cell)

Web:  http://www.photosbymilt.ca

Emails:

miltduquette@...

Twitter: @milt_duquette

David Cameron - IRLP

Not that I have heard. I have done tests on most of them with a Software Defined Receiver looking for any spikes at 50Mhz, 144, 220, 440, and 900 Mhz.

Most switching power supplies operate square wave and do generate harmonics. Proper design and certification would dictate that they would not transmit those very far. The other problem is the frequency of the square wave depends on the load on the unit, so the spurs may wander.

Where are you seeing the spurs? On the node radio? UHF or VHF? Where is the radio antenna in relation to the power supply?

It is very interesting to take a USB stick SDR and SDRSharp and put the antenna close to everyday items to see what the effects on the spectrum are. My biggest polluters are LED light bulbs in the house.... They will knock out TV reception 100% the second they are turned on. I also had a dirty 15A power supply I was using. I always wondered by my effective sensitivity tests into an antenna would vary wildly between tests, until I found that a certain power supply module I had was putting close to 12db of noise floor into the antenna located 100ft away.

On 2020-01-29 14:09, Milt Duquette via Groups.Io wrote:
Has any one been having issues with the power supply that came with
the PIIRLP node?
Causing spurrius noises.
PS output is 5.1 volts, 2500ma.
Thanks