Topics

Problem with my Router set-up

Gordon, W9LU

I have an AT&T router (model BGW210-700). If I don't use my IRLP node every day, I can connect to the echo reflector, but can't get audio back. The router info says the device is off. I am assuming the problem is that the UDP ports have timed out. I am not computer-savvy, so I am hoping one of you can guide me into the correct set-up of this router.

Thanks for reading this post.

Gordon, W9LU

Ed W6YJ

Gordon,

I have the same router on AT&T U-verse (firmware version 2.5.6) and had a very frustrating time trying to get IRLP working on it.

Even after adding port forwarding and firewall packet filtering rules, the troubleshoot-IRLP script said all ports were not working (huh?). Called support and got nowhere. Looked around and found lots of people having port opening / forwarding issues with no fix posted.

What I did find is that in addition to the port forwarding and firewall packet filtering rules, I had to add under Firewall/NAT/Gaming two Hosted Applications - one for IRLP and the second for EchoIRLP UDP ports.

Ed
W6YJ

On 3/13/2020 2:11 PM, Gordon Smith wrote:
I have an AT&T router (model BGW210-700). If I don't use my IRLP node every day, I can connect to the echo reflector, but can't get audio back. The router info says the device is off. I am assuming the problem is that the UDP ports have timed out. I am not computer-savvy, so I am hoping one of you can guide me into the correct set-up of this router.

Thanks for reading this post.

Gordon, W9LU

Ronald Payne

You might try setting on your router the IRLP nodes IP to static then using the DMZ function of the router allow that IP address direct access to the internet. No port forwarding needed.
That the way i was able to get my node to reliably say connected.

Ron
wb5klj

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 4:28 PM Ed W6YJ <w6yj_lists@...> wrote:
Gordon,

I have the same router on AT&T U-verse (firmware version 2.5.6) and had
a very frustrating time trying to get IRLP working on it.

Even after adding port forwarding and firewall packet filtering rules,
the troubleshoot-IRLP script said all ports were not working (huh?).
Called support and got nowhere. Looked around and found lots of people
having port opening / forwarding issues with no fix posted.

What I did find is that in addition to the port forwarding and firewall
packet filtering rules, I had to add under Firewall/NAT/Gaming two
Hosted Applications - one for IRLP and the second for EchoIRLP UDP ports.

Ed
W6YJ

On 3/13/2020 2:11 PM, Gordon Smith wrote:
> I have an AT&T router (model BGW210-700).  If I don't use my IRLP node every day, I can connect to the echo reflector, but can't get audio back.  The router info says the device is off.  I am assuming the problem is that the UDP ports have timed out.  I am not computer-savvy, so I am hoping one of you can guide me into the correct set-up of this router.
>
> Thanks for reading this post.
>
> Gordon, W9LU

Jim Howe

This may help you. I found it in a search. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRLsGPoa5sM

Sent from my  iPhone X

On Mar 13, 2020, at 18:57, Ronald Payne <wb5klj@...> wrote:

BGW210-700

Jim Howe

I will say I have set up at least a half dozen or so different routers from different manufacturers, but this one seems overly and unnecessarily complicated.

Sent from my  iPhone X

On Mar 14, 2020, at 02:50, Jim Howe via Groups.Io <Jimn2tdi@...> wrote:

This may help you. I found it in a search. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRLsGPoa5sM

Sent from my  iPhone X

On Mar 13, 2020, at 18:57, Ronald Payne <wb5klj@...> wrote:

BGW210-700

David Cameron - IRLP

In this case, I would just go with a VPN and cut your losses.

Are you sure that the WAN IP is a IPv4 IP address that is routable? Due to lack of available IPs, a number of ISPs are using IPv6 for the WAN address, essentially providing a NAT system for its users.

Dave

On Mar 14, 2020, at 02:50, Jim Howe via Groups.Io <Jimn2tdi=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

 This may help you. I found it in a search. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRLsGPoa5sM

Sent from my  iPhone X

On Mar 13, 2020, at 18:57, Ronald Payne <wb5klj@...> wrote:

BGW210-700

k9dc

On Mar 14, 2020, at 12:50, David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...> wrote:

In this case, I would just go with a VPN and cut your losses.
I agree with that. If you are struggling with a router or perhaps mooching off of someone else's Internet for your node. I would suggest the easy way out and sign up for IRLP VPN. It is free and seems to work great. See https://irlp.groups.io/g/IRLP/files/IRLP%20VPN%20Service for more information on the service.

I have issued nearly 200 IRLP VPN configurations. At any given time, between both servers (Chicago and Sydney) there are usually over 80 active sessions running. Both machines are just loafing along using minimal CPU.

k9dc

On Mar 14, 2020, at 12:50, David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...> wrote:

In this case, I would just go with a VPN and cut your losses.
I agree with that. If you are struggling with a router or perhaps mooching off of someone else's Internet for your node. I would suggest the easy way out and sign up for IRLP VPN. It is free and seems to work great. See https://irlp.groups.io/g/IRLP/files/IRLP%20VPN%20Service for more information on the service.

I have issued nearly 200 IRLP VPN configurations. At any given time, between both servers (Chicago and Sydney) there are usually over 80 active sessions running. Both machines are just loafing along using minimal CPU.

-k9dc
Ooops, forgot my callsign for a second.

> -k9dc
> Ooops, forgot my callsign for a second.

I heard that happens when you get old.

Mick

Oops, W7CAT

--

Rick NK7I

Memory is the second thing to fail...

what was the first?

Rick NK7I
7962

On 3/14/2020 2:06 PM, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) wrote:

> -k9dc
> Ooops, forgot my callsign for a second.

I heard that happens when you get old.

Mick

Oops, W7CAT

> > On Mar 14, 2020, at 12:50, David Cameron - IRLP wrote:
> >
> > In this case, I would just go with a VPN and cut your losses.
>
> I agree with that. If you are struggling with a router or perhaps mooching off of someone else's Internet for your node. I would suggest the easy way out and sign up for IRLP VPN. It is free and seems to work great. See https://irlp.groups.io/g/IRLP/files/IRLP%20VPN%20Service for more information on the service.
>
> I have issued nearly 200 IRLP VPN configurations. At any given time, between both servers (Chicago and Sydney) there are usually over 80 active sessions running. Both machines are just loafing along using minimal CPU.
>
> -k9dc
> Ooops, forgot my callsign for a second.

Just trying to practice my social distancing skills.
-k9dc

On Mar 14, 2020, at 17:06, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) <tarra@...> wrote:

-k9dc
Ooops, forgot my callsign for a second.
I heard that happens when you get old.

Mick
Oops, W7CAT

Rick NK7I

Cabbage and chili meals do wonders for that but it's hard on your housemates.

NK7I

On 3/14/2020 2:09 PM, k9dc wrote:
Just trying to practice my social distancing skills.
-k9dc

On Mar 14, 2020, at 17:06, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) <tarra@...> wrote:

-k9dc
Ooops, forgot my callsign for a second.
I heard that happens when you get old.

Mick
Oops, W7CAT

I appreciate that. I have added extra filters to my repeaters to be on the safe side.