Good evening..

Getting around to rebuilding our node here that has been inactive due to a hard drive crash a while ago, and I'm having issues with the system keying up & sending audio.

I've ran readinput and the system is decoding everything, but when I try to run the audio test the radio keys up for about a half a second, then automatically unkeys. If I reboot the node PC, where there would typically be the "IRLP Node Enabled" announcement, I get that same quick key & unkey with no audio.

Any ideas as to what I might be missing here?

Thanks and 73,

Chris N4BSA

David Cameron - IRLP

Your sound card is not working. I assume this is a Pi with a USB sound card? That is a common symptom is the sound card is not initialized during the boot cycle.

On 2020-04-01 6:19 p.m., Chris Schwab wrote:
Good evening..
Getting around to rebuilding our node here that has been inactive due to a hard drive crash a while ago, and I'm having issues with the system keying up & sending audio.
I've ran readinput and the system is decoding everything, but when I try to run the audio test the radio keys up for about a half a second, then automatically unkeys. If I reboot the node PC, where there would typically be the "IRLP Node Enabled" announcement, I get that same quick key & unkey with no audio.
Any ideas as to what I might be missing here?
Thanks and 73,
Chris N4BSA

Chris Schwab

No it's a PC that I've reused.

I do see the sound card if I run alsactl init:

Found hardware: "HDA-Intel" "Intel Haswell HDMI"
"HDA:80862807,80860101,00100000" "0x1028" "0x05c1"
Hardware is initialized using a generic method

Alsaconf shows this at select sound card:
Sound Card
- (default)
0 HDA Intel HDMI
1 HDA Intel PCH
enter device name..

Thanks!

On 2020-04-01 6:19 p.m., Chris Schwab wrote:
Good evening..

Getting around to rebuilding our node here that has been inactive due to
a hard drive crash a while ago, and I'm having issues with the system
keying up & sending audio.

I've ran readinput and the system is decoding everything, but when I try
to run the audio test the radio keys up for about a half a second, then
automatically unkeys. If I reboot the node PC, where there would
typically be the "IRLP Node Enabled" announcement, I get that same quick
key & unkey with no audio.

Any ideas as to what I might be missing here?

Thanks and 73,

Chris N4BSA

Steve Jones

Looks like your audio is trying to go to the HDMI audio port on the video card. If you can disable it in bios that will make the PCH the new default. If not, you will have to create a file in /etc/modprobe.d and set the module load order to lock the cards the right way round. (check with 'cat /proc/asound/cards', IRLP uses card-0)
If you need to lock the order, use 'lspci -v | less' and make a note of the kernel modules loaded for each audio device. The modules look something like 'snd_hda_intel'.
Create '/etc/modprobe.d/audio.conf ' containing the 2 lines: (without the dashes!)
-----------------------------
options <PCH module> index=0
options <hdmi module> index=1
-----------------------------
save the file and reboot

Good luck..
Steve Jones
VK2YLD

On 2020-04-01 6:19 p.m., Chris Schwab wrote:
Good evening..

Getting around to rebuilding our node here that has been inactive due to
a hard drive crash a while ago, and I'm having issues with the system
keying up & sending audio.

I've ran readinput and the system is decoding everything, but when I try
to run the audio test the radio keys up for about a half a second, then
automatically unkeys. If I reboot the node PC, where there would
typically be the "IRLP Node Enabled" announcement, I get that same quick
key & unkey with no audio.

Any ideas as to what I might be missing here?

Thanks and 73,

Chris N4BSA

Chris Schwab

Thanks for the prod in the general direction of where I needed to go.

I actually got it to work by adding this to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

options snd-hda-intel id=HDMI,PCH index=1,0

Reboot, and now the PCH module is card 0, and IRLP is playing nice
now. Just need to tweak the audio a bit and get the equipment back to
where it needs to be, and we're back in business.

Thanks for the help.

On 2020-04-01 6:19 p.m., Chris Schwab wrote:
Good evening..

Getting around to rebuilding our node here that has been inactive due to
a hard drive crash a while ago, and I'm having issues with the system
keying up & sending audio.

I've ran readinput and the system is decoding everything, but when I try
to run the audio test the radio keys up for about a half a second, then
automatically unkeys. If I reboot the node PC, where there would
typically be the "IRLP Node Enabled" announcement, I get that same quick
key & unkey with no audio.

Any ideas as to what I might be missing here?

Thanks and 73,

Chris N4BSA

David Cameron - IRLP

Sounds like a good test to add to the Troubleshoot-IRLP file. I used to be able to just look for the OSS devices and if they were not there the node would fail to boot.

I ran into the same problem when updating the Raspberry Pi nodes because a file that set the index of the card was overwritten.

Dave Cameron

On 2020-04-01 6:19 p.m., Chris Schwab wrote:
Good evening..

Getting around to rebuilding our node here that has been inactive due to
a hard drive crash a while ago, and I'm having issues with the system
keying up & sending audio.

I've ran readinput and the system is decoding everything, but when I try
to run the audio test the radio keys up for about a half a second, then
automatically unkeys. If I reboot the node PC, where there would
typically be the "IRLP Node Enabled" announcement, I get that same quick
key & unkey with no audio.

Any ideas as to what I might be missing here?

Thanks and 73,

Chris N4BSA

Steve Jones

Dave,
That would be a good idea. My PC, loaded at the time with debian 9, ran fine for a
few months then after a reboot for something unrelated, the OS decided to flip the cards
around without any indications apart from the node audio missing, hence the audio.conf
file I referred to below.

Steve Jones
VK2YLD