Topics

Real Newbie Q

ne1h@...

Ok, so I have a CT1790 SB16 card, it has Mic in, Line In, and Speaker
out (no line out). I can disable the internal amplifier on the card
so make it line out.

But the impedances will be all wrong. Most mic inputs are 600 ohms
and most soundcards are 8ohms.

Ok, so can someone give me the basics of radio hookup. Maybe one of
the Nomic devices from www.westmountainradio.com would be benificial?

Thanks,
Alan

Ed Yoho <edyoho@...>

ne1h@... wrote:

Ok, so I have a CT1790 SB16 card, it has Mic in, Line In, and Speaker
out (no line out). I can disable the internal amplifier on the card
so make it line out.

But the impedances will be all wrong. Most mic inputs are 600 ohms
and most soundcards are 8ohms.

Ok, so can someone give me the basics of radio hookup. Maybe one of
the Nomic devices from www.westmountainradio.com would be benificial?

Thanks,
Alan
Alan,

If you move the jumpers from speaker out to line out, it should be 600 ohms
as required to drive your mike input.

What type of link radio are you planning on using, or are you connecting
the IRLP directly to a controller?

Ed Yoho
WA6RQD

tlang@...

Hello ne1h@...!

21 Jul 01 22:21, ne1h@... wrote to me:

nh> Ok, so I have a CT1790 SB16 card, it has Mic in, Line In, and Speaker
nh> out (no line out). I can disable the internal amplifier on the card
nh> so make it line out.
nh>
nh> But the impedances will be all wrong. Most mic inputs are 600 ohms
nh> and most soundcards are 8ohms.

That's usually no drama, as long as you can get compatible levels. You'll have
to suck it and see, but often, merely wiring the soundcard directly to the mic
input works fine!

nh> Ok, so can someone give me the basics of radio hookup. Maybe one of
nh> the Nomic devices from www.westmountainradio.com would be benificial?

I just wire them together directly. If there's any problems, then I look at
adding resistive pads or other components.

So it's Rx audio -> line in
Line out to mic audio.

Tony, VK3JED

.. Karaoke is a Japanese word meaning "tone deaf."
--- GoldED/W32 3.0.1