From: Bill Hausmann
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io
Sent: Saturday, August 01, 2020 08:12:24 PM
Subject: [IRLP] Rebuilt node, audio not going out STN4437

> So after some time offline, I rebuilt my node from a backup and put my node back online. It's a Pi 3B with a cmedia usb soundcard. All tests run clean. When I connect to 9990, Is says I connect, I transmit, I get nothing back. I connected the USB soundcard to my computer and used Audacity to record the audio and it was fine. All DTMF shows up fine in readinput. The VU test shows everything good. When I monitor the firewall for outbound traffic from the node, I see it allowed. When I connect to a reflector, I see the node there as well. Just no audio. Does anyone have any other troubleshooting steps I can try?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Bill
> N2WNS

Bill Hausmann

Everything comes back clean. Firewall included. I think it's an issue with the return traffic as I connected to 9050 this morning, it showed me connected yet I heard no traffic even thought I saw activity on his supermon.

Bill Hausmann

Update. Thank you to the station who connected from GB3KE-R! This shows the inbound Firewall rules are fine! He obviously could not hear me but I could hear him.

k9dc

It is important to know if you are sending silent keyups outbound, i.e. you have an actual audio problem. Or the far end receives nothing, no PTT action at all, regardless of the presence of audio.

The two different scenarios above, lead down entirely different paths down the troubleshooting tree.

-k9dc

On Aug 2, 2020, at 11:52, Bill Hausmann <n2wns.radio@...> wrote:

Update. Thank you to the station who connected from GB3KE-R! This shows the inbound Firewall rules are fine! He obviously could not hear me but I could hear him.

DougH

Answer Dave....the recieving station hears nothing at all yet 4437 hears the transmitting station.

Doug - GM7SVK / GB3KE-R 5410

On 02/08/2020 18:14, k9dc wrote:
It is important to know if you are sending silent keyups outbound, i.e. you have an actual audio problem. Or the far end receives nothing, no PTT action at all, regardless of the presence of audio.

The two different scenarios above, lead down entirely different paths down the troubleshooting tree.
-k9dc

On Aug 2, 2020, at 11:52, Bill Hausmann <n2wns.radio@...> wrote:

Update. Thank you to the station who connected from GB3KE-R! This shows the inbound Firewall rules are fine! He obviously could not hear me but I could hear him.

https://www.avg.com

Bill Hausmann

So I've dug into the issue a little deeper. if I, meaning on the RF side of MY node, initiate a call out, it will connect and I can hear myself on the remote node yet, I can't hear the remote node, no keyups or anything. If the same remote node connects to me, I can hear the remote node yet, the remote node CANT hear me. Now this traffic you would think would fall under the allow any out firewall policy. I'm thinking I have something else going on here.

k9dc

Yes you have a messed up router. Here is how I can tell.

From My node, I telnet to to yours on port 15425

repeater@stn4733:~/$ telnet stn4437.ip.irlp.net 15425
Trying 69.112.12.120...
Connected to stn4437.ip.irlp.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
stn4437 - n2wns : Welcome 172.16.1.1

You are recording my IP address as 172.16.1.1, which is wrong. My IP is actually 44.48.26.6.

172.16.1.1 is probably the IP address of your router, it should not be changing the inbound address, it should show my address. So something is wrong with your router, or its configuration. If your node is running Debian, IRLP VPN would fix this as well.

-k9dc

On Aug 2, 2020, at 13:29, Bill Hausmann <n2wns.radio@...> wrote:

So I've dug into the issue a little deeper. if I, meaning on the RF side of MY node, initiate a call out, it will connect and I can hear myself on the remote node yet, I can't hear the remote node, no keyups or anything. If the same remote node connects to me, I can hear the remote node yet, the remote node CANT hear me. Now this traffic you would think would fall under the allow any out firewall policy. I'm thinking I have something else going on here.
_._,_._,_

Bill Hausmann

This makes a lot of sense. That tells me that my firewall is overwriting the inbound NAT with a new session.Let me dig in and I'll have you test again when I fix it. Thanks!

Bill Hausmann

Dave, Can you try it again? I think I found it. -Bill

k9dc

Nope, still doing the same thing. 172.16.1.1

-k9dc

On Aug 2, 2020, at 14:26, Bill Hausmann <n2wns.radio@...> wrote:

Dave, Can you try it again? I think I found it. -Bill

Bill Hausmann

I grabbed a TCPDump from the node and the FW is still doing it. I'm waiting on a reply to see what needs to be changed on the FW. Thanks for the help!

-N2WNS