Topics

Relocating node #piirlp

dale.tongue

I relocated from Korea back to the US within the last year and had issues getting it online.  Originally it was thought that it was purely a port forwarding issue, but now I'm thinking maybe a network problem.  My notes are below, and I would like to see if there's a document I can read up on, or something that can help me rule out networking as an issue.

I've run the "troubleshoot-irlp" script which is a big help, and my notes are below:

On the troubleshoot-irlp script I the DNS server Name test (test 1), but fail on Test 2 (port forwarding) and I'm still working that issue.  Test 3 I have ports outbound not functioning either.  Again I am still working on the port forwarding issue.

Test 4 through 8 passes

Test 9 (Date) I set the date string and it shows current date, but when it tries "rdate", I get  "Could not connect socket: No route to host".  I'm wondering if this could be part of my port forwarding issue (a network issue).  In testing my network, I found my IPv3 address and tracerouted to the IP ok.  I cannot PING the same address.  I can even traceroute to a commercial IP address, but I can't ping it (which may be turned off at the distant end).

If there is a document that I can read up on for these issues, I'd like to know where I can get it.

Thanks in advance.
Dale Tongue
AC7NP
Node 5555 last time it was on.

Tony

What is the router's IP address? Start near, then ping farther away. When it fails, then inspect the connections and cabling between, e.g.:

$ ping -c2 192.168.1.1

--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 3ms

??$ ping -c2 google.com
PING google.com (216.58.217.46) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from sea15s08-in-f14.1e100.net (216.58.217.46): icmp_seq=1 ttl=119 time=35.6 ms
64 bytes from sea15s08-in-f14.1e100.net (216.58.217.46): icmp_seq=2 ttl=119 time=33.5 ms

--- google.com ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 2ms