Remove IRLP from an old PC

Timothy Mc Bain - VK3MIT

Hello All;

After successfully migrating our Club node from an old PC to a Pi (thanks again, Dave) I now need to erase the IRLP software from the hard drive of the now dis-used PC.

I wish to retain the Linux OS that is on the HD, however, if that is possible. Its really just so that when the computer is plugged in, it doesn't cause issues with the recognition of the Pi on the IRLP network. (Two nodes, same number, different IP's)

Is the IRLP "stuff" all contained within one folder that I could delete, or is there a proper and correct way to erase the IRLP identity and associated bits from a HD but leave everything else intact?

Thanks heaps - Tim.
VK3MIT

Nosey Nick VA3NNW

Timothy Mc Bain - VK3MIT wrote:
Is the IRLP "stuff" all contained within one folder that I could delete, or is there a proper and correct way to erase the IRLP identity and associated bits from a HD but leave everything else intact?
It's a BIT more complicated than that, but not TOO much...

First, make absolutely sure you have run the "backup_for_reinstall" script to make sure you have one last backup of all the configs and won't regret it later.

Run the rest of these commands as root: sudo su -

Next, edit /etc/rc.local where there are some lines that start everything up at boot time. Remove those (or comment them out with "#" if you prefer): pico /etc/rc.local

  # THESE LINES ARE ADDED FOR THE IRLP SYSTEM
  # Starts IRLP
  /home/irlp/custom/rc.irlp

There are also some jobs that run periodically, remove those: sudo -u repeater crontab -e
Remove (or again comment out) AT LEAST all the lines that refer to /home/irlp/scripts, probably EVERYTHING but use your judgement

Then you can probably remove the irlp home directory: rm -rfv /home/irlp
If you also had EchoIRLP, remove that too: rm -rfv /home/EchoIRLP/

You might also want to lock the "repeater" user (usually wouldn't bother REMOVING it unless you're 110% sure all files / directories owned by it have been removed):  passwd -l repeater
(That's minus l for lock)

Probably reboot at this point to make sure none of the other stuff is still running, confused about where its directories went.

I *THINK* that's all, but suspect others will point out a few things I missed?

Cheers
Nick VA3NNW - node 2410

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer; sig@noseynick.net

Timothy Mc Bain - VK3MIT

SUCCESS!!

Thank you Nick - job done.