Topics

Thin Client Models?

tomsdad97

Hi All!

My trusty old PC running 6255 seems to be on it’s last legs so time to look for a replacement.

I like the idea of re-purposing a thin client but am overwhelmed by the model variations!

Any suggestions on known working models that I can use, I can get a HP T5325, is this a suitable candidate?

Cheers,
Steve VK2ARS Node 6255

John

Check out
http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/range.shtml
for a list of good thin clients
Both 4JJW and I use a t5135

73 John @ 6163

On 1/02/2020 2:35 pm, tomsdad97 wrote:
Hi All!
My trusty old PC running 6255 seems to be on it’s last legs so time to look for a replacement.
I like the idea of re-purposing a thin client but am overwhelmed by the model variations!
Any suggestions on known working models that I can use, I can get a HP T5325, is this a suitable candidate?
Cheers,
Steve VK2ARS Node 6255

zl1vfo

Edited

On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 05:36 PM, tomsdad97 wrote:

An HP T5325 unfortunately won't be suitable as it has no parallel port for the IRLP board to connect to. A T5330 or T5740 suffers the same fate as well.

Try either a HP T5540, T5145, T5545, T5570, T5630, T5700, or T5720. A T5000, T5700 or T5710 will also be ok, but you'll probably need to increase the SO-DIMM RAM to 512kB or 1GB to give the OS a bit of breathing room A T5125, T5130, T5300 has soldered on RAM and not enough of it, so they aren't suitable.

These thin clients generally use a small 'D.O.M.' as a HDD connecting with a standard 44-pin laptop HDD PATA connector, so a replacement one with enough space (8Gb?) will be needed. Alternatively, a Compact-Flash card, a suitable adapater and ribbon cable to connect to the 44-pin connector works as well. Installing IRLP is easy by writing the image to a USB stick and setting the bios to boot from that first. Power for the IRLP board can be had from a USB lead plugged into the thin client, as the board only requires +5V I believe.

Generally they work well - low power, no noise, no fans to sieze up, small footprint compared to a standard PC, and some of them even run from 12V. As mentioned before, browse the Parky Towers website for more detailed information.

-Ian ZL1VFO

Tim Moore

Steve,

I’d recommend the HP T5720, they are reliable, quiet and have a low power consumption.
I got mine off Ebay several years ago, and it’s never missed a beat.

Mine is built into a 1RU rack mount case, and I’m running a compact flash drive with IDE interface in place of a HDD. I’ve built the IRLP board into the same rack mount enclosure. It runs around 1 Amp at 12V.

The only thing I’ll say is that they’re happier running on 12V, not 13.8V DC.

Installing the OS and IRLP software is the same as any other node install when you’re installing a new machine with an existing node number, pretty straightforward.

Happy to assist you if required.

73 Tim VK4TIM.
IRLP node 6493.

Sent from my Iphone.

On 1 Feb 2020, at 14:37, tomsdad97 <sharpst@...> wrote:

Hi All!

My trusty old PC running 6255 seems to be on it’s last legs so time to look for a replacement.

I like the idea of re-purposing a thin client but am overwhelmed by the model variations!

Any suggestions on known working models that I can use, I can get a HP T5325, is this a suitable candidate?

Cheers,
Steve VK2ARS Node 6255

Klaus Rung

I use either a Neoware CA10 or CA22 as they have a single slot to house the irlp card internally.

Klaus
ve3kr

My trusty old PC running 6255 seems to be on it’s last legs so time to look for a replacement.

I like the idea of re-purposing a thin client but am overwhelmed by the model variations!

Any suggestions on known working models that I can use, I can get a HP T5325, is this a suitable candidate?

Cheers,
Steve VK2ARS Node 6255

Nosey Nick VA3NNW

My trusty old PC running 6255 seems to be on it’s last legs so time to
look for a replacement.
I like the idea of re-purposing a thin client but am overwhelmed by
the model variations!
Elephant in the room? ...

Why a "thin client" when you could go for a raspberry pi? This seems to
be the defacto standard IRLP host these days, and has loads of spare
GPIO pins and stuff if you want them.

I use either a Neoware CA10 or CA22 as they have a single slot to
house the irlp card internally.
Oh so a nice case with space for the old-style ISA/PCI slot?

Isn't there a nice raspberry pi case on Thingiverse yet?   :-)

Nick

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer; sig@...

Isn't there a nice raspberry pi case on Thingiverse yet?   :-)
I haven't seen one there yet, I wish there was one somewhere.

> > My trusty old PC running 6255 seems to be on it’s last legs so time to
> > look for a replacement.
> > I like the idea of re-purposing a thin client but am overwhelmed by
> > the model variations!
>
> Elephant in the room? ...
>
> Why a "thin client" when you could go for a raspberry pi? This seems to
> be the defacto standard IRLP host these days, and has loads of spare
> GPIO pins and stuff if you want them.
>
> > I use either a Neoware CA10 or CA22 as they have a single slot to
> > house the irlp card internally.
>
> Oh so a nice case with space for the old-style ISA/PCI slot?
>
> Isn't there a nice raspberry pi case on Thingiverse yet?   :-)
>
> Nick
>
> --
> "Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
> use Std::Disclaimer; sig@...
> Plaese porrf raed. -- Prof. Michael O'Longhlin, S.U.N.Y. Purchase

--

Phil Zocco

Just adding my $.02 (American).

I just purchased an Intel DN2800MT motherboard from eBay. 1.86G CPU with 4G RAM. Runs on 13.8VDC.

It has a parallel port header on the board. You need a parallel ribbon for connecting to an IRLP VER 3 board.

Add an SSD and it draws about 1.5 amps.

Thanks and 73,

Phil N1BOW
Node 5960
AMT MP 113.6
Niantic, CT USA Earth

My trusty old PC running 6255 seems to be on it�s last legs so time to
look for a replacement.�
I like the idea of re-purposing a thin client but am overwhelmed by
the model variations!
Elephant in the room? ...

Why a "thin client" when you could go for a raspberry pi? This seems to
be the defacto standard IRLP host these days, and has loads of spare
GPIO pins and stuff if you want them.

I use either a Neoware CA10 or CA22 as they have a single slot to
house the irlp card internally.
Oh so a nice case with space for the old-style ISA/PCI slot?

Isn't there a nice raspberry pi case on Thingiverse yet?�� :-)

Nick

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer; sig@...
Plaese porrf raed. -- Prof. Michael O'Longhlin, S.U.N.Y. Purchase

Larry Ellsworth - K6KUS

The hp t5760 thin client with the expansion bay works great. you'll have to modify the internal shield to open it up for the sata connector. you can then power the irlp card and install a 64gb or 32 gb ssd drive. I have built several of them and they work great.

tomsdad97

Elephant? Not even a Wombat!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd have to make modifications to the board and make a connector to go the GPIO on the Pi?

Thingiverse not much use if you don't have access to a 3d printer!

I like Klaus's suggestions for the Neoware CA10 or 22 - but not available locally - about AUD$130 shipped from Germany.

Hence the Thin Client seems to be a lot quicker and cheaper - I can cobble it together and swap it out when the PC dies.

Thanks to the group I'm getting a nice list of suitable Thin client models.

73 Steve VK2ARS 6255

[...]

Hi Phil US$0.02 is probably AUD$7 these days!

(Seriously, why aren't you guys over here getting away from the Winter weather!)

I looked at the Intel, but again around AUD$120 shipped.

Functionally very similar to my old Epia based PC that runs the node.

73 Steve VK2ARS 6255

My trusty old PC running 6255 seems to be on it�s last legs so time to
look for a replacement.�
I like the idea of re-purposing a thin client but am overwhelmed by
the model variations!
Elephant in the room? ...

Why a "thin client" when you could go for a raspberry pi? This seems to
be the defacto standard IRLP host these days, and has loads of spare
GPIO pins and stuff if you want them.

I use either a Neoware CA10 or CA22 as they have a single slot to
house the irlp card internally.
Oh so a nice case with space for the old-style ISA/PCI slot?

Isn't there a nice raspberry pi case on Thingiverse yet?�� :-)

Nick

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer; sig@...
Plaese porrf raed. -- Prof. Michael O'Longhlin, S.U.N.Y. Purchase

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd have to make modifications to the board and
> make a connector to go the GPIO on the Pi?
You don't need to make any modification to the board (Pi?). Use an old disk drive cable. There are only about 11 wires to solder to a DB25 connector. Just not that much involved.

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd have to make modifications to the board and
> make a connector to go the GPIO on the Pi?
>
> Thingiverse not much use if you don't have access to a 3d printer!
>
> I like Klaus's suggestions for the Neoware CA10 or 22 - but not available
> locally - about AUD$130 shipped from Germany.
>
> Hence the Thin Client seems to be a lot quicker and cheaper - I can cobble
> it together and swap it out when the PC dies.
>
> Thanks to the group I'm getting a nice list of suitable Thin client models.
>
> 73 Steve VK2ARS 6255

Douglas Tabor

For years we (Estes Park ARC: node 7268) used a NeoWare CA22 with an internal IDE/CF card SSD … as with most hardware, something gives after years of continual service. In our case it was a 1000 uf/25 wvdc high-temp (105C) cap that probably had enough of being fed 13.8 vdc (instead of the 12 vdc that I saw recommended in this thread).

Whether this failure also caused the failure of the 4 GB CF card or if it were just old age/# of cycles is anyone’s guess. After replacement of the electrolytic, we were unable to recover the contents of the CF card.

For years, the NeoWare (HP) thin-ish client (sorry, Sun/Oracle had the only true/non-PC thin client, IMHO) provided excellent service.

BTW, the 7268 node now runs on PiRLP (Pi 3).

73, Doug, N6UA

Douglas Tabor
dtabor@...

Tim

The Cap is rated at 25 volts so 13.8 volts is fine

[...]

I have about 10 or more ca-10 running and depending on availability on eBay can be as little as 25.00 and up to 350.00, naturally I purchase the ones below 50 bucks, get a usb stick or the correct spacer 2 or 4 gig flash disk and you have a great heavy duty node PC. Yes I have had to replace some caps in 2 of them but the rest seem to be ok still. The good part is that the bios can be set to boot on power loss, boot from usb, usb CD ROM, 44 pin laptop drives etc so is very flexible all inside a steel case and even runs from 13.8v off the link radio power supply.
Ca22 is the better model of the two.

Klaus,
Ve3kr

tomsdad97 wrote:
Elephant? Not even a Wombat!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd have to make modifications to the
board and make a connector to go the GPIO on the Pi?
http://www.irlp.net/R_Pi/ describes the board mod. It's quite trivial.
You de-solder one SMT diode, and add one jumper. Do it right and it's
even fairly reversible if you change your mind.

The connector to the GPIO is then really not much different to making up
any other parallel cable. I butchered an IDE cable and soldered about 10
pins on a DB25 on the other end. I did NOT chop the pin off the pi
connector because I wanted that to be fairly reversible too. Easy stuff
for most radio hams. Worst-case, find the guy in your club who builds
their own equipment, they'll probably be insulted at how easy your
request is   :-D

Thingiverse not much use if you don't have access to a 3d printer!
My ham club has at least 5 members with 3d printers, and we're not even
a particularly big club - there seems to be quite a lot of overlap
between the 2 hobbies. 3 local libraries and 2 local makerspaces have
others that can be used quite cheaply. Ask around. Ask at your club, ask
your local library / MakerSpace / HackerSpace, or worst-case try "order
this printed" on thingiverse?

73 de Nick VA3NNW

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer; sig@...
Very few profundities can be expressed in less than 80 characters.