Topics

Troubleshooting node 1642

Ron VE8RT

I'm troubleshooting my node, apparently there is no transmit audio
out of the computer. aumix levels look OK, running $SCRIPTS/audiotest
keys up the link radio but there is no audio. Swapping headphones out
at the computer where the interface would plug in and running the
audiotest again gives a very low level of white noise during the test.
I suspect that the mini-ITX board audio section has a problem. It is
an Intel DG945GCFL and it has run flawlessly for a few years, if it is
the board can I find a replacement with a parallel printer port cheaper
than I could switch it over to a current Raspberry Pi system?

Ron VE8RT node 1642

--
Ron VE8RT <ve8rt@...>

k9dc

How old is your node? aumix has not been used for years. The tool for audio is ‘alsamixer'

-k9dc

On Apr 19, 2020, at 11:04, Ron VE8RT <ve8rt@...> wrote:

I'm troubleshooting my node, apparently there is no transmit audio
out of the computer. aumix levels look OK, running $SCRIPTS/audiotest
keys up the link radio but there is no audio. Swapping headphones out
at the computer where the interface would plug in and running the
audiotest again gives a very low level of white noise during the test.
I suspect that the mini-ITX board audio section has a problem. It is
an Intel DG945GCFL and it has run flawlessly for a few years, if it is
the board can I find a replacement with a parallel printer port cheaper
than I could switch it over to a current Raspberry Pi system?

Ron VE8RT node 1642

--
Ron VE8RT <ve8rt@...>

Ron VE8RT

Hi,

well then I guess the software dates it :-) The mini-ITX board
would date it too, but more telling is the IRLP Board manual dated
January 2006 for boards version 3.0X. The computer supports a flash
card memory (not a hard drive). I'm thinking that maybe one of the
board capacitors in the audio output has gone open.

I own and maintain the node personally and it is linked by radio on
a 222 MHz link to the local repeater. Or it was. A replacement would
be at my own expense. The IRLP board (connects to the printer port)
itself seems to be OK, I might cut costs if it could be kept.

Recommendations?

Ron VE8RT

On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 12:50:23 -0400
"k9dc" <Dave@...> wrote:

[...]

Recommendations? Not really. I would continue to troubleshoot your audio, especially the cabling. Have you plugged in a set of headphones to the audio output line? Actual failure of the audio output is certainly possible, but I would consider it unlikely with no other physical events indicating possible damage.

As far as the IRLP board is concerned, the Version 3 (green) board can be harvested to use with the Raspberry Pi, but it must be modified to work. I would consider the modification to be permanent (not technically true, but probably best that you think it is).

You could also upgrade to a newer Mini-ITX board. All of my nodes are based on the Intel DN2800MT board. The DN2800MT is no longer manufactured, but they are plentiful and cheap on Amazon and Ebay. DaveC sells new nodes based on a newer replacement, although Coronavirus has made them difficult to get. Also the newer boards do support flash based drives, instead using SATA or mSata.

-k9dc

On Apr 19, 2020, at 14:35, Ron VE8RT <ve8rt@...> wrote:

Hi,

well then I guess the software dates it :-) The mini-ITX board
would date it too, but more telling is the IRLP Board manual dated
January 2006 for boards version 3.0X. The computer supports a flash
card memory (not a hard drive). I'm thinking that maybe one of the
board capacitors in the audio output has gone open.

I own and maintain the node personally and it is linked by radio on
a 222 MHz link to the local repeater. Or it was. A replacement would
be at my own expense. The IRLP board (connects to the printer port)
itself seems to be OK, I might cut costs if it could be kept.

Recommendations?

Ron VE8RT

k9dc

Typo: Also the newer boards do NOT support flash based drives, instead using SATA or mSata.

On Apr 20, 2020, at 11:31, k9dc <dave@...> wrote:

Also the newer boards do support flash based drives, instead using SATA or mSata.

Phil Zocco

Hi Ron,

I replaced my 10 year old 800 MHz Ingraham HDD with an Intel DM2800MT and a Samsung 120 G SATA SSD. I thought about the Pi but I wanted to go old style.

eBay has the boards starting as low as $35 US. Not too sure what shipping would be to Canada but it's a good start. You do need to get a parallel header ribbon which attaches to the board for your IRLP card.

73,

Phil N1BOW
Node 5960
AMT MP 113.6
Niantic, CT USA Earth

"k9dc" <Dave@...> wrote:

[...]

Rick NK7I

Bonus:  NO MOVING PARTS

Mine has been faithfully running for years without bother, no worries, no fan noises.

Rick NK7I
7962

"k9dc" <Dave@...> wrote:

[...]

Wel1, I added a 70mm fan to the CPU. Bought it from Amazon. As Elmer Fudd would say, “Verwy Verwy quiet”.

73,

Phil N1BOW

5960