Topics

WAV file audio

Phil Zocco

Greetings.

For some strange reason this morning, any of the WAV files that have personally recorded are all coming out with loud distorted audio.

These files announce control functions and various other customized recordings.

BUT...any of the original WAV files that Dave C included in the IRLP package play back normally. Like when he says, "IRLP Node enabled", it's sound just fine. Any announcements for a reflector are distorted

If I play back my custom On-the Hour announcement with my voice, it is distorted. I checked the alsamixer and the controls are where they normally are.

Any ideas? I have rebooted the node and still the same issues.

Thanks in advance.

73,

Phil N1BOW

Node 5960

AMT MP 113.6

Niantic, CT USA Earth

David Cameron - IRLP

Try a reboot again, OR, log in as repeater and run

/home/irlp/scripts/update files

I updated the script this morning and was able to find a node old enough to test on :)

Dave Cameron

On 2019-11-27 9:19 a.m., Phil Zocco wrote:

Greetings.

[...]

An old node?! You western Canadians have a warped sense of humor...HI.

The script worked.

Thanks....I think.

73,

Phil N1BOW

On 2019-11-27 9:19 a.m., Phil Zocco wrote:

Greetings.

[...]

AG0N-3055

On Nov 27, 2019, at 11:11, Phil Zocco <n1bow@...> wrote:

" I updated the script this morning and was able to find a node old enough to test on :)”
If you actually need an old node to connect to, give 3055 a try. It’s still running the same OS from the only time it was rebuilt, many years ago. It’s probably Fedora. Don’t remember for sure.

Gary - AG0N - 3055

David Cameron - IRLP

Well the issue I run into is some of the nodes are running software so old that the new versions of the same software don't even use the same syntax. sox is a great example of this. Then I need to make the scripts recognize this, and that is where it starts to fall apart.

To be honest, if the node is running software that is no longer maintained (which is anything older than Debian 8), it really is a risk to the network that it is on, as they can likely be easily compromised (or are already compromised) and can be used to sniff/snoop on traffic on your network, or be used to launch attacks on other systems (Denial of Service).

With the advent of Pi-based systems, there is not a real reason not to upgrade to something newer. I imagine with the cost of electricity, you will recoup your up front cost in a matter of a year or two.

David Cameron

On 2019-11-27 9:19 a.m., Phil Zocco wrote:
Greetings.
[...]

My older equipment is not liking the Debian, to many problems.

When you said software below (I think) Debian WHEEZY would no longer be supported, I figured (like most OS companies) you could still use it, you just can't get anyone to support it) so I tried to upgrade the OS which didn't work. Then I find I can't use "get-irlp-files" any more so I'm left with a NON working node that worked fine and dandy before I tried the upgrade and 100% since 2009.

I've been off the air for a month or so now.

I HATE BEING *FORCED* to up grade!

I think it's time I upgrade to AllStar and leave the hassles of the NEW IRLP behind.

WB8ODF@...
http://wb8odf.com

On 2019-11-27 10:11, Phil Zocco wrote:
> " I updated the script this morning and was able to find a node old
> enough to test on :)"
>
> An old node?! You western Canadians have a warped sense of humor...HI.
>
> The script worked.
>
> Thanks....I think.
>

> 73,
>
> Phil N1BOW

Phil Zocco

So that I can understand.

What is the latest release of IRLP software? Guess I should upgrade.

Now if I can just remember how to do that.

Thanks, Dave C.

73,

Phil N1BOW

On 2019-11-27 9:19 a.m., Phil Zocco wrote:

Greetings.

[...]

Dave,

Nobody forced you to upgrade. There are nodes still running RedHat that work fine. You likely had to upgrade to use a new feature, like IRLP VPN. It can not be back ported, because OpenVPN will not work on older kernels. That is not an IRLP issue, that is an issue with OpenVPN.

You will need a system that is capable of running a new OS to run Allstar also. It will not run on the hardware you can't install Debian onto.

David Cameron
VE7LTD

On 2019-11-27 9:19 a.m., Phil Zocco wrote:
Greetings.
[...]
Links:
------
[1] https://irlp.groups.io/g/IRLP/message/76306
[2] https://groups.io/mt/62662080/500965
[3] https://irlp.groups.io/g/IRLP/post
[4] https://irlp.groups.io/g/IRLP/editsub/500965
[5] https://irlp.groups.io/g/IRLP/leave/defanged

Phil Zocco

I know I'm not being forced. Just thought it would a good idea to. My
computer is an Ingraham 800MHz. In service since August 2009. On it second
hard drive. Maybe one of those DN motherboards. Can't remember the number.

And what is Allstar? Any info will help.

Phil N1BOW

On 2019-11-27 9:19 a.m., Phil Zocco wrote:

Greetings.

[...]

I was running FC3 and it was ROCK SOLID since 2009. I up graded to try IRLP VPN which worked fine, it was plug and play. But IRLP didn't work, I'm not complaining about trying to upgrade and it not working... I'm complaining that I can't go back to FC3 or CentOS 4.9 which would put my node back on the net.

Telling people that the older OS's are no longer supported (I don't NEED support) is different than saying if you up grade you'll not be able to get the IRLP files to reinstall FC3 or CentOS 4.9 or Debian WHEEZY. If you have mentioned that I would have NEVER attempted the up grade. I don't have to use IRLP VPN I just thought it would be nice, so I can run off my Verizon Jet Pack.

WB8ODF@...
http://wb8odf.com

On 2019-11-27 16:05, Dave Parks - WB8ODF via Groups.Io wrote:
> My older equipment is not liking the Debian, to many problems.
>
> When you said software below (I think) Debian WHEEZY would no longer
> be supported, I figured (like most OS companies) you could still use
> it, you just can't get anyone to support it) so I tried to upgrade the
> OS which didn't work. Then I find I can't use "get-irlp-files" any
> more so I'm left with a NON working node that worked fine and dandy
> before I tried the upgrade and 100% since 2009.
>
> I've been off the air for a month or so now.
>
> I HATE BEING *FORCED* to up grade!
>
> I think it's time I upgrade to AllStar and leave the hassles of the
> NEW IRLP behind.
>
>> < Dave Parks ><
> WB8ODF@...
> http://wb8odf.com
>
> Node: 8139
>
>  On Wednesday, November 27, 2019, 6:53:12 PM EST, David Cameron - IRLP
> <dcameron@...> wrote:
>
> Well the issue I run into is some of the nodes are running software so
>
> old that the new versions of the same software don't even use the same
>
> syntax. sox is a great example of this. Then I need to make the
> scripts
> recognize this, and that is where it starts to fall apart.
>
> To be honest, if the node is running software that is no longer
> maintained (which is anything older than Debian 8), it really is a
> risk
> to the network that it is on, as they can likely be easily compromised
>
> (or are already compromised) and can be used to sniff/snoop on traffic
>
> on your network, or be used to launch attacks on other systems (Denial
>
> of Service).
>
> With the advent of Pi-based systems, there is not a real reason not to
>
> upgrade to something newer. I imagine with the cost of electricity,
> you
> will recoup your up front cost in a matter of a year or two.
>
> David Cameron
>
> On 2019-11-27 10:11, Phil Zocco wrote:
>> " I updated the script this morning and was able to find a node old
>> enough to test on :)"
>>
>> An old node?! You western Canadians have a warped sense of
> humor...HI.
>>
>> The script worked.
>>
>> Thanks....I think.
>>

>> 73,
>>
>> Phil N1BOW

I just remembered I have a couple of 80G hard drives in a box in the shack.

If I remember now, I think I would do a re-install by first installing Debian 10 and somewhere in there is a place where you keep your old node number and then use your backup file to finish up the re-install.

Guess I’ll give it a try after Turkey Day.

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving.

73,

Phil N1NOW

On Nov 27, 2019, at 16:53, David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...> wrote:

With the advent of Pi-based systems, there is not a real reason not to upgrade to something newer. I imagine with the cost of electricity, you will recoup your up front cost in a matter of a year or two.
It really isn’t a matter of cost. It is a matter of age. I no longer work on this stuff at all and don’t feel I am competent to. In fact, with the medical problems I’ve had this year I wouldn’t have had time to even look at it. It works, I don’t break it. I would have to replace it with a complete system that was plugNplay. I’ve often wondered what I would do if it crashed catastrophically, perhaps one of yours, Dave.

Gary - AG0N - 3055

Howard Rob

Will this be updated on it's own after a time, or must I go to the site and do the reboot  or update?
I won't won't be going to the site very soon if not necessary. (I could not get the IT person to figure out how to enable an SSH port, so I don't have remote access :-((  )

Centos 4.9

Bob   VE3YX   Node 2520

k9dc

You will get it automatically in the next overnight updates. No need to reboot.

-k9dc

On Nov 27, 2019, at 20:42, Howard Rob <bob.howard@...> wrote:

Will this be updated on it's own after a time, or must I go to the site and do the reboot or update?
I won't won't be going to the site very soon if not necessary. (I could not get the IT person to figure out how to enable an SSH port, so I don't have remote access :-(( )

Centos 4.9

Bob VE3YX Node 2520

David Cameron - IRLP

It will fix itself 24 hours after it was broken :) it will be updated overnight, as long as your nice is not connected at the time.

From: Howard Rob <bob.howard@...>
Date: 11/27/19 5:41 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io

Will this be updated on it's own after a time, or must I go to the site and do the reboot  or update?
I won't won't be going to the site very soon if not necessary. (I could not get the IT person to figure out how to enable an SSH port, so I don't have remote access :-((  )

Centos 4.9

Bob   VE3YX   Node 2520

gqwradio

Thanks Daves:

I'm happy to save the trip!

Bob

Nosey Nick VA3NNW

David Cameron - IRLP wrote:
With the advent of Pi-based systems, there is not a real reason not to
upgrade to something newer. I imagine with the cost of electricity,
you will recoup your up front cost in a matter of a year or two.
I thought this would be fun to calculate, kinda back-of-envelope but
with citations...

Raspi power consumption depends slightly on what model you're using and
how hard you're working it, but it's never eating TOO much CPU, IRLP is
mostly idle with occasional laid-back I/O.

http://www.irlp.net/pi/ says it supports "Raspberry Pi (models B and
B+), Pi2, and now [...] Pi3", but the ordering page has a Pi4 one, and I
happen to know it also works fine on a Pi Zero, but
https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/articles/raspberry-pi-3bplus-specs-benchmarks
and https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/faqs/#pi-power tend to
agree fairly well:

Power used:
Best case about 1.5W  (except honestly, only 0.75W for the pi zero?
Wow!  :-O )
Worst case about 3W

Compared with (say)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CPU_power_dissipation_figures

1st-gen Pentium 15W
Pentium 3 more like 27W
Pentium 4 more like 60-75W
Some are much MUCH worse, but I doubt anyone is running IRLP on a
dedicated 4-socket 8-core 3GHz server or anything.

However the above is ONLY THE CPU not the rest of the PC, so
http://www.buildc-omputers.net/power-consumption-of-pc-components.html
Low-end Motherboard 25 to 40W
RAM 2-5W
Assume you have no GFX card
HDD, old "spinning rust" one: 1-9W
Fans 1-6W ea
50-80% efficient PSU...

Tell you watt ('scuse the pun) let's just go with
http://www.buildcomputers.net/pc-power-requirements.html
Best case 117W, maybe you also already optimised by removing the GFX and
CD/DVD drive to bring down to 90W
Worst-case let's borrow their mid-range 278W

So the DIFFERENCE between your complete rpi system vs your old PC:
Best-case 278W-1.5W = approx 275W saving
Worst-case 90W-2.5W = 87.5W saving

Hours in a year: 8760 to 8784 for leap years
So best-case saving 275W * 8784hrs = 2415.6kWhr
worst-case only 87.5W * 8760hrs = 766.5kWhr saved

Home energy cost from
https://fusiontables.googleusercontent.com/embedviz?viz=MAP&q=select+col0+from+1qWveLELIJJjrpot_Qq7DTdv-zSLVYASbwHurDMs&h=false&lat=45.3216740792336&lng=-81.6543125&z=3&t=1&l=col0
Best case about 8c / kwH
Worst case about 22.2c / kwH

So best-case saving 2415.6kWhr @ 22.2c = $536/yr
Worst-case saving "only" 766.5kWhr @ 8c = $61.32/yr
Note that these are nearly an order of magnitude, depending on what
you're replacing, what with, ans where you live!

RRP of a Pi from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi or
https://thepihut.com/

Pi Zero $4 but realistically you want the Pi Zero W $13 or with
pre-soldered header $17
Pi Zero W + sdcard + PSU + case + HDMI adapter $30
Pi 3 bare $20
Pi 4 + sdcard + PSU + case + HDMI cable $63
All the above assume you already have an IRLP board and are happy to
make the very simple 3.3V mod and follow the instructions to install
raspbian and the PIRLP software. Add $5-$10 for a USB sound card.
Up to http://www.irlp.net/order.html $350 for the fully assembled
ready-to-go pirlp node with brand new board, all OS+software etc
ready-to-go.

Let's say best-case is you're buying the pi zero + case + PSU + sdcard +
$5 USB sound-card and doing ALL the work yourself, including modding an
existing irlp board, to replace the hungriest PC above, somewhere with
expensive electricity. $35 spent to save $536/yr - pays for itself in
approximately 24 days.

Worst-case, paying for the fully-built $350 pirlp to replace a low-end
further-optimised 90W PC somewhere with cheap 8c electricity... $350 to
save $61.32/yr, about 5.7yrs to pay for itself.

Realistically, you're somewhere in the middle of each, say, 165W saved,
somewhere that charges 17c/kWhr, saving about $240/yr
... Which would pay for a $63 "DIY pi 4" pirlp upgrade in just over 3
months, or a full brand new $350 plug-n-go PIRLP from David in less than
1.5 yrs

Not to mention the noise saving, and the reduced fire risk, and not
having to worry about fan failures, and knowing that if anything DOES go
wrong, you can replace a pi with a pi for $20-$30, swap an sdcard for
less than $10, and not have to struggle to find an olde PC that still
has a parallel port in 2020.

Thanks David!   :-)

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer; sig@...

Butch Bussen

Same here. I am totally blind, so need sighted help to get the irlp computer on the network, and I don't have anyone here. Once I can talk to it with my windows box, I can do most things. K9DC was kind enough to help me get a node up and running a couple years ago. At the moment, my main node 3148 doesn't see the network. I have a long cable run to a wireless bridge which talks to my router. Still trying to trouble shoot that problem. Hope to have 3148 back soon. I don't have a way to tesst the cable other than replace it, so still trying to figure out where the problem is.
73
Butch
WA0VJR
Node 3148