Topics

WB8ODF

K1RR Glen

I see you're node has been down for over 80 days, and listed as being on the AllStar network.  Have you finally made the decision to switch over to the 2020's protocol and get away from the 1990's IRLP technology?   Just thinking about you the other day, and thought I'd give you a ring.  I'll call ya on AllStar sometime soon!
K1RR

Craig - K1BDX - Node 8724

Hey, Glen, If he doesn't want his IRLP node, I would be happy to take
it off his hands. When I'm operating mobile, IRLP is the only system
that does not get confused and lock up my computer. Both Allstar and
Echolink software can't handle when the internet occasionally drops on
my Verizon hotspot. The software on those systems is very poorly
written if they can't handle drops in the internet. Also, I'm not
sure where the myth was invented that Allstar is a current protocol.
Allstar is based on Asterisk which was developed in 1999.

The IRLP software has been updated constantly over the last 12 years I
have been on the system. We started on old Intel motherboards running
Centos and David Cameron updated everything to work on Raspberry Pi
computers running the latest Debian Linux release.

The other problem with Allstar is it's not secure. Anyone with an
Allstar node can cross link any number of other nodes into my node
right in the middle of a conversation or net without any warning or
agreement. This has been happening constantly. I was playing around
with an Allstar node for a while and I was being constantly interfered
with by the random and announced cross linking. The hams in the other
conversation also had no idea that some knucklehead was going to cross
link their conversation into mine without warning. Unauthorized cross
linking by third parties with no warning or permission is why Allstar
will never be anything more than a cute toy to play with.

In summary, Allstar makes for a nice ham radio toy but its not for
serious, reliable communication over the Internet. So you guys have
fun with your toys while our group stays with IRLP for stable,
reliable communications. If you don't want your IRLP node anymore
then we will happily take it off your hands.