From: IRLP@irlp.groups.io <IRLP@irlp.groups.io> on behalf of Bob Redoutey N5KF <redoutey@...>
Sent: Friday, January 3, 2020 9:55 PM
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io <IRLP@irlp.groups.io>
Subject: [IRLP] Wired to Wireless on AT Computer

Due to changes on my Ethernet connection,  I will be loosing my hardwire Ethernet connection to my node. What is the best way to bring it up on WiFi? I know hardwire is preferred, but can't get the cable to the current location.  I have read about using a "Bridge" connection, or is there a way to add a simple WiFi to the current box, internally, or off a USB port? Not Linux savvy, but could get it configured with a little help.

Thanks,

Bob Redoutey N5KF
Node 3437
Georgetown TX

Kevin K

I use a DD-WRT router as a bridge connection to my main router in my PC test configuration at home:

There's no radio on it so I can't speak to the wireless being able to handle the IRLP data throughput, although I can watch Internet videos on another PC without issue.

The idea is to find a compatible router, flash it with DD-WRT firmware, and configure it as necessary.  Just about any "junk pile" router will be compatible.  There are actually several types of repeater modes, some better than others, but they depend on the hardware in use and your level of administrative access to the main router.

DD-WRT page:

 https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Lots of reading and lots of variables to consider!

Kevin, VE1KK

Nosey Nick VA3NNW

I use a DD-WRT router as a bridge connection to my main router in my PC test configuration at home:

Wouldn't it be so much easier to just add a USB WiFi dongle to the PC and configure it up? Or is this a REALLY ancient PC, too old for USB? In which case did you get a copy of my back-of-envelope price comparison I posted to this list a few weeks back, cost of a new Raspberry Pi vs continuing to pay for electricity for an old power-hungry PC? Raspberry Pi could pay for itself in just a few weeks.

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer;    sig@...

Bob Redoutey N5KF

Hi Nick,

Yes, adding USB WiFi would be easy. My question is...what is involved? No, it's not a ancient node. It's the AT style Dave Cameron put together for years. If I add the USB WiFi, will it automatically configure to the new IP address? Or do I need to get into the computer setup? I know I need to open ports on the new Router/WiFi setup.

Thanks

Bob Redoutey N5KF

Bob Redoutey N5KF wrote:
Yes, adding USB WiFi would be easy. My question is...what is involved? No, it's not a ancient node. It's the AT style Dave Cameron put together for years. If I add the USB WiFi, will it automatically configure to the new IP address? Or do I need to get into the computer setup? I know I need to open ports on the new Router/WiFi setup.

I assume you'd log in, you'd look at "ifconfig -a" to find the name of the new interface (probably wlan0 but maybe something like wlp1s0, almost certainly begins "w" anyway), then you'd edit it into /etc/network/interfaces somewhat like:

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
        address 10.1.1.31
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 10.1.1.1
        wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

... and /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf would include something like:

network={
        ssid="NameOfYourWiFiNetwork"
        psk="SuperSecretWifiPassword"
}

USUALLY Linux would just autoconfigure it using DHCP and stuff, but if I recall, IRLP install disables this.

"sudo iwlist wlan0 scan" if you're not sure of the name of your WiFi network and want to scan.

Nick VA3NNW

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer;    sig@...
Vitamin C deficiency is apauling

David Cameron - IRLP

Alternately, you can just add the SSID and Preshared Key info into the interfaces file and not bother with wpa_supplicant now:

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
        address 10.1.1.31
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 10.1.1.1
        wpa-ssid NameOfYourWiFiNetwork
        wpa-psk SuperSecretWifiPassword

If you use a USB Wifi that is supported in Linux, it should be just plug and play. By default on an IRLP install it will come up as wlan0 if recognized.

Plug it in, then run

dmesg

and look at the last few lines. Any errors should show up there.

Dave Cameron

On 05/01/2020 7:15 p.m., Nosey Nick VA3NNW wrote:
Bob Redoutey N5KF wrote:
[...]

I did the easy solution, went with a bridge, but all I could find was "AC Line" one. I opened IRLP/Echolink ports on the new router. I seem to connect to reflectors, but not getting any replies. The router has only 2 options, TCP or UDP. No SSH. DMZ is available. When the node boots up it says connected IRLP and Echolink.

Any suggestions? Maybe it's working and nobody is talking?

Bob N5KF
Node 3437
Georgetown TX

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020, 9:48 PM David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...> wrote:
Alternately, you can just add the SSID and Preshared Key info into the
interfaces file and not bother with wpa_supplicant now:

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
         address 10.1.1.31
         netmask 255.255.255.0
         gateway 10.1.1.1
         wpa-ssid NameOfYourWiFiNetwork
         wpa-psk SuperSecretWifiPassword

If you use a USB Wifi that is supported in Linux, it should be just plug
and play. By default on an IRLP install it will come up as wlan0 if
recognized.

Plug it in, then run

dmesg

and look at the last few lines. Any errors should show up there.

Dave Cameron

On 05/01/2020 7:15 p.m., Nosey Nick VA3NNW wrote:
> Bob Redoutey N5KF wrote:
>> Yes, adding USB WiFi would be easy. My question is...what is
>> involved? No, it's not a ancient node. It's the AT style Dave Cameron
>> put together for years. If I add the USB WiFi, will it automatically
>> configure to the new IP address? Or do I need to get into the
>> computer setup? I know I need to open ports on the new Router/WiFi setup.
>
> I assume you'd log in, you'd look at "ifconfig -a" to find the name of
> the new interface (probably wlan0 but maybe something like wlp1s0,
> almost certainly begins "w" anyway), then you'd edit it into
> /etc/network/interfaces somewhat like:
>
> allow-hotplug wlan0
> iface wlan0 inet static
>         address 10.1.1.31
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>         gateway 10.1.1.1
>         wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
>
> ... and /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf would include
> something like:
>
> network={
>         ssid="NameOfYourWiFiNetwork"
>         psk="SuperSecretWifiPassword"
> }
>
> USUALLY Linux would just autoconfigure it using DHCP and stuff, but if
> I recall, IRLP install disables this.
>
> "sudo iwlist wlan0 scan" if you're not sure of the name of your WiFi
> network and want to scan.
>

> Nick VA3NNW
>
> --
> "Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
> use Std::Disclaimer;sig@...
> Vitamin C deficiency is apauling

That is one of the reasons for the echo reflectors. What do you get when you run troubleshoot-irlp?

As repeater: troubleshoot-irlp

> I did the easy solution, went with a bridge, but all I could find was "AC
> Line" one. I opened IRLP/Echolink ports on the new router. I seem to
> connect to reflectors, but not getting any replies. The router has only 2
> options, TCP or UDP. No SSH. DMZ is available. When the node boots up it
> says connected IRLP and Echolink.
>
> Any suggestions? Maybe it's working and nobody is talking?
>
> Bob N5KF
> Node 3437
> Georgetown TX
>
> On Sun, Jan 5, 2020, 9:48 PM David Cameron - IRLP wrote:
>
> > Alternately, you can just add the SSID and Preshared Key info into the
> > interfaces file and not bother with wpa_supplicant now:
> >
> > allow-hotplug wlan0
> > iface wlan0 inet static
> > address 10.1.1.31
> > netmask 255.255.255.0
> > gateway 10.1.1.1
> > wpa-ssid NameOfYourWiFiNetwork
> > wpa-psk SuperSecretWifiPassword
> >
> > If you use a USB Wifi that is supported in Linux, it should be just plug
> > and play. By default on an IRLP install it will come up as wlan0 if
> > recognized.
> >
> > Plug it in, then run
> >
> > dmesg
> >
> > and look at the last few lines. Any errors should show up there.
> >
> > Dave Cameron

> > setup.
> > >
> > > I assume you'd log in, you'd look at "ifconfig -a" to find the name of
> > > the new interface (probably wlan0 but maybe something like wlp1s0,
> > > almost certainly begins "w" anyway), then you'd edit it into
> > > /etc/network/interfaces somewhat like:
> > >
> > > allow-hotplug wlan0
> > > iface wlan0 inet static
> > > address 10.1.1.31
> > > netmask 255.255.255.0
> > > gateway 10.1.1.1
> > > wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
> > >
> > > ... and /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf would include
> > > something like:
> > >
> > > network={
> > > ssid="NameOfYourWiFiNetwork"
> > > psk="SuperSecretWifiPassword"
> > > }
> > >
> > > USUALLY Linux would just autoconfigure it using DHCP and stuff, but if
> > > I recall, IRLP install disables this.
> > >
> > > "sudo iwlist wlan0 scan" if you're not sure of the name of your WiFi
> > > network and want to scan.
> > >

> > > Nick VA3NNW
> > >
> > > --
> > > "Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
> > > use Std::Disclaimer;sig@...
> > > Vitamin C deficiency is apauling

--

Bob Redoutey N5KF

Thank you Mick. Yes, I get errors related to DNS not setup correctly.

Also TCP Port 15425 not forwarding correctly.

UDP Error, all ports not forwarded correctly.

Outbound Ports Correct.

Everything else passed.

So, it sounds like I didn't set up the router correctly...it was confusing.

It's a Altice (Suddenlink)

Familiar with it?

Might have to reboot something,  as it (the router) won't come up now!

Thanks for the trouble shooting so far.

Bob N5KF
Node 3437

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020, 7:40 PM Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) <tarra@...> wrote:

That is one of the reasons for the echo reflectors. What do you get when you run troubleshoot-irlp?

As repeater: troubleshoot-irlp

> I did the easy solution, went with a bridge, but all I could find was "AC
> Line" one. I opened IRLP/Echolink ports on the new router. I seem to
> connect to reflectors, but not getting any replies. The router has only 2
> options, TCP or UDP. No SSH. DMZ is available. When the node boots up it
> says connected IRLP and Echolink.
>
> Any suggestions? Maybe it's working and nobody is talking?
>
> Bob N5KF
> Node 3437
> Georgetown TX
>
> On Sun, Jan 5, 2020, 9:48 PM David Cameron - IRLP wrote:
>
> > Alternately, you can just add the SSID and Preshared Key info into the
> > interfaces file and not bother with wpa_supplicant now:
> >
> > allow-hotplug wlan0
> > iface wlan0 inet static
> > address 10.1.1.31
> > netmask 255.255.255.0
> > gateway 10.1.1.1
> > wpa-ssid NameOfYourWiFiNetwork
> > wpa-psk SuperSecretWifiPassword
> >
> > If you use a USB Wifi that is supported in Linux, it should be just plug
> > and play. By default on an IRLP install it will come up as wlan0 if
> > recognized.
> >
> > Plug it in, then run
> >
> > dmesg
> >
> > and look at the last few lines. Any errors should show up there.
> >
> > Dave Cameron

> > setup.
> > >
> > > I assume you'd log in, you'd look at "ifconfig -a" to find the name of
> > > the new interface (probably wlan0 but maybe something like wlp1s0,
> > > almost certainly begins "w" anyway), then you'd edit it into
> > > /etc/network/interfaces somewhat like:
> > >
> > > allow-hotplug wlan0
> > > iface wlan0 inet static
> > > address 10.1.1.31
> > > netmask 255.255.255.0
> > > gateway 10.1.1.1
> > > wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
> > >
> > > ... and /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf would include
> > > something like:
> > >
> > > network={
> > > ssid="NameOfYourWiFiNetwork"
> > > psk="SuperSecretWifiPassword"
> > > }
> > >
> > > USUALLY Linux would just autoconfigure it using DHCP and stuff, but if
> > > I recall, IRLP install disables this.
> > >
> > > "sudo iwlist wlan0 scan" if you're not sure of the name of your WiFi
> > > network and want to scan.
> > >

> > > Nick VA3NNW
> > >
> > > --
> > > "Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
> > > use Std::Disclaimer;sig@...
> > > Vitamin C deficiency is apauling

Sorry, I don't know that router, or all that many routers. I have looked some on google. A couple of things that I did find:

"To enable port forwarding on your system you will need to make “port rules” in your router to allow select traffic from the internet to allow access to devices on your network. ..."

"If You Ever Had Their "Smart Router" With Legacy It's Similar Firmware. Meaning You Can Do Port Forwarding, LAN IP Assignments, DMZ, etc. HOWEVER It's Very Limited. If You Want Full Control Over Network AlticeOne is NOT: For YOU! Get Legacy Instead Where Can Use Own Router!"

Do you have a model number for your router?

Also, can you set up your node for DMZ?

--

Bob Redoutey N5KF

Yes, it does have the DMZ option.

No, I don't have the model #, maybe Altice One.

Thing that was strange was that the ports were listed under only one IP address,  probably not the IRLP device, but couldn't figure out how to open up for all IP addresses.

Bob N5KF
Node 3437

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020, 8:34 PM Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) <tarra@...> wrote:

Sorry, I don't know that router, or all that many routers. I have looked some on google. A couple of things that I did find:

"To enable port forwarding on your system you will need to make “port rules” in your router to allow select traffic from the internet to allow access to devices on your network. ..."

"If You Ever Had Their "Smart Router" With Legacy It's Similar Firmware. Meaning You Can Do Port Forwarding, LAN IP Assignments, DMZ, etc. HOWEVER It's Very Limited. If You Want Full Control Over Network AlticeOne is NOT: For YOU! Get Legacy Instead Where Can Use Own Router!"

Do you have a model number for your router?

Also, can you set up your node for DMZ?

> Thank you Mick. Yes, I get errors related to DNS not setup correctly.
>
> Also TCP Port 15425 not forwarding correctly.
>
> UDP Error, all ports not forwarded correctly.
>
> Outbound Ports Correct.
>
> Everything else passed.
>
> So, it sounds like I didn't set up the router correctly...it was confusing.
>
> It's a Altice (Suddenlink)
>
> Familiar with it?
>
> Might have to reboot something, as it (the router) won't come up now!
>
> Thanks for the trouble shooting so far.
>
> Bob N5KF
> Node 3437
>
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2020, 7:40 PM Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association
> (TARRA) wrote:
>
> > That is one of the reasons for the echo reflectors. What do you get when
> > you run troubleshoot-irlp?
> >
> > As repeater: troubleshoot-irlp
> > Mick - W7CAT
> > Node 3464

Just setup your DMZ for your IRLP computer and use it. With the DMZ there won't be any ports to open, they should already be open. From what I can find, your ISP doesn't block any of the ports that matter to IRLP.

There would only be one IP address and the ports would be related to that IP address.

> No, I don't have the model #, maybe Altice One.
>
> Thing that was strange was that the ports were listed under only one IP
> address, probably not the IRLP device, but couldn't figure out how to open
> up for all IP addresses.
>
> Bob N5KF
> Node 3437
>
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2020, 8:34 PM Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association
> (TARRA) wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I don't know that router, or all that many routers. I have looked
> > some on google. A couple of things that I did find:
> >
> > "To enable *port forwarding* on your system you will need to make “*port*
> > rules” in your router to *allow* select traffic from the internet to
> > *allow* access to devices on your network. ..."
> >
> > "If You Ever Had Their "Smart Router" With Legacy It's Similar Firmware.
> > Meaning You Can Do Port Forwarding, LAN IP Assignments, DMZ, etc. HOWEVER
> > It's Very Limited. If You Want Full Control Over Network AlticeOne is
> > *NOT*: For YOU! Get Legacy Instead Where Can Use Own Router!"
> >
> > Do you have a model number for your router?
> >
> > Also, can you set up your node for DMZ?
> >
> > Mick - W7CAT
> > Node 3464

It looks to me like the Altice One is just a cable modem and not your router. I would expect that you are using a router connected to the Altice.

--

Bob Redoutey N5KF

Hi Mick,

What is the easiest way of finding the IP for the IRLP Computer? I am sure that's where the issue is at. It lists 13 possible IP addresses.

Thanks

Bob N5KF

--

Bob Redoutey N5KF

It's a all in one box. TV, WiFi and Ethernet ports, all in the same box.

Bob N5KF

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020, 9:00 PM Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) <tarra@...> wrote:

It looks to me like the Altice One is just a cable modem and not your router. I would expect that you are using a router connected to the Altice.

> No, I don't have the model #, maybe Altice One.
>
> Thing that was strange was that the ports were listed under only one IP
> address, probably not the IRLP device, but couldn't figure out how to open
> up for all IP addresses.
>
> Bob N5KF
> Node 3437
>
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2020, 8:34 PM Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association
> (TARRA) wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I don't know that router, or all that many routers. I have looked
> > some on google. A couple of things that I did find:
> >
> > "To enable *port forwarding* on your system you will need to make “*port*
> > rules” in your router to *allow* select traffic from the internet to
> > *allow* access to devices on your network. ..."
> >
> > "If You Ever Had Their "Smart Router" With Legacy It's Similar Firmware.
> > Meaning You Can Do Port Forwarding, LAN IP Assignments, DMZ, etc. HOWEVER
> > It's Very Limited. If You Want Full Control Over Network AlticeOne is
> > *NOT*: For YOU! Get Legacy Instead Where Can Use Own Router!"
> >
> > Do you have a model number for your router?
> >
> > Also, can you set up your node for DMZ?
> >
> > Mick - W7CAT
> > Node 3464

Log into your IRLP computer and run the command    ifconfig

> What is the easiest way of finding the IP for the IRLP Computer? I am sure
> that's where the issue is at. It lists 13 possible IP addresses.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob N5KF
>
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2020, 8:56 PM Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association
> (TARRA) wrote:
>
> > Just setup your DMZ for your IRLP computer and use it. With the DMZ there
> > won't be any ports to open, they should already be open. From what I can
> > find, your ISP doesn't block any of the ports that matter to IRLP.
> >
> > There would only be one IP address and the ports would be related to that
> > IP address.
> > Mick - W7CAT
> > Node 3464

Log into your IRLP computer and run the command    ifconfig  Look for this:

wlan0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
 inet 192.168.8.168  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.8.255

The inet will be your IP address for your computer.

--

Bob Redoutey N5KF

Hi Mick,

Well...I found it, put it in for the DMZ option...saved it, but still no luck.

I will run the troubleshooting script again.

Thanks for your help

Bob N5KF

--

Bob Redoutey N5KF

The troubleshooting script still gives the same errors.

Somewhere I am not getting it set right....ugh!

Bob N5KF

Ps...sorry for all the bandwidth on this issue.