Topics

Xplornet

bobgau57

I am(was) using NetSet wifi on my node until they were bought out by Xplornet, still the wifi system, but now all ports are showing as filtered and they seem unwilling to resolve the  issue, the tech guy told me if I was unhappy to feel free to cancel my account. Just wondering if anyone else is using Xplornet to connect their node. Thanks
Bob
VA4BG

k9dc

I don’t know anything about Xplornet, but might IRLP VPN help with your problem?

-k9dc

On Nov 11, 2019, at 20:58, bobgau57 <bobgau@...> wrote:

I am(was) using NetSet wifi on my node until they were bought out by Xplornet, still the wifi system, but now all ports are showing as filtered and they seem unwilling to resolve the  issue, the tech guy told me if I was unhappy to feel free to cancel my account. Just wondering if anyone else is using Xplornet to connect their node. Thanks
Bob
VA4BG

bobgau57

thanks, will have to look into the vpn, still trying to work with xplornet but they don't seem to care about customers.
impatient and rude best describes their tech support.
VA4BG

k9dc

That sounds pretty normal to me. Lucky you don't have to deal with Comcast or AT&T! LOL

IRLP VPN is free, all you need to do is request it from installs@ IRLP.net. The only requirement is that your node runs Debian. (does not work on CentOS or Redhat). See the FAQ in https://irlp.groups.io/g/IRLP/files/IRLP%20VPN%20Service

-k9dc

On Nov 12, 2019, at 08:29, bobgau57 <bobgau@...> wrote:

thanks, will have to look into the vpn, still trying to work with xplornet but they don't seem to care about customers.
impatient and rude best describes their tech support.
VA4BG

bobgau57

the support was so good before xplornet took over, they couldn't seem to do enough for you, once the big money takes over the customer service is done for..but
just reading about the irlp vpn and noticed the bit about traffic through the vpn, all daily household internet would be through the same router the node is connected to.
would that be a problem?
va4bg

k9dc

As long as you are not using your IRLP node AS your router, and IRLP VPN is installed on the IRLP node as directed, only IRLP traffic will be carried over IRLP VPN. So there is no problem sharing to connection as you described. In fact your situation is exactly on of the use cases where IRLP VPN is helpful. With IRLP VPN, no special routing or port forwarding is required at all.

-k9dc

On Nov 12, 2019, at 09:00, bobgau57 <bobgau@...> wrote:

the support was so good before xplornet took over, they couldn't seem to do enough for you, once the big money takes over the customer service is done for..but
just reading about the irlp vpn and noticed the bit about traffic through the vpn, all daily household internet would be through the same router the node is connected to.
would that be a problem?
va4bg

bobgau57

thank you, will be giving this a try.

va4bg

Kevin B

Xplornet was the reason I was without IRLP for several years. We switched to Telus cellular data. Much better but would still be the same issue with ports.... But now that I'm using VPN there are no issues with my node. Should work fine with xplornet and VPN.

Kevin
VE6KEZ

Jim MacKenzie

Some cellular/mobile networks will provide private IP addresses which obviate the need for VPNs.  I’ve done this with my SaskTel Mobility hotspot (they call their product M2M for “Machine to Machine”) which costs me a few additional dollars per month.  I know that Verizon in the US has a similar option but charges a several-hundred-dollar lifetime flat fee to have the service.

An option, if your cellular network provides it.  But you need to learn how to sell them on selling it to you.  SaskTel, e.g., does theirs through their commercial products division.  They were happy to sell it to me but it takes them awhile to understand that a residential customer knows what it is and actually wants and needs it.

73

Jim VE5EV 1232 / 4041

Xplornet was the reason I was without IRLP for several years. We switched to Telus cellular data. Much better but would still be the same issue with ports.... But now that I'm using VPN there are no issues with my node. Should work fine with xplornet and VPN.

bobgau57

Thanks for the replies, i have installed irlp vpn but from what i am seeing not sure if the install is ok, thinking i may have to upgrade Debian, hoping someone could have a look at the photos i have attached and let me know what they think. thanks again for the help so far, appreciated..

va4bg

k9dc

Wheezy is no longer supported by Debian and hasn’t been for years. Your attempt to install OpenVPN was not successful. It is possible to switch to an Archive site and get OpenVPN installed, but it would better to upgrade, at least to Debian 9 (Stretch). A web search for “upgrade wheezy to Stretch” will head you in the right direction.

-k9dc

On Nov 13, 2019, at 19:31, bobgau57 <bobgau@...> wrote:

Thanks for the replies, i have installed irlp vpn but from what i am seeing not sure if the install is ok, thinking i may have to upgrade Debian, hoping someone could have a look at the photos i have attached and let me know what they think. thanks again for the help so far, appreciated..

va4bg

bobgau57

thanks, i kinda expected that was going to be the verdict. will give that a try.

va4bg